Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
I think I know the answer to this but would you do CP3 for opted-in THJ, Powell & Wright (post-Giannis supermax)? CP3 only has 2 years left. This years salary is sort of meaningless in that you already would be over the cap. You would be out of 2021 FA but CP3 would be a large expiring. If he isn't panning out you could buy him out and still have the MLE to use. Also instead of a direct buy-out you might end up trading him to a team with say 2 large expirings that then you flip for other things.

I was against CP3 last year bc of fit with Luka and I would still have concerns ab CP3 not trying to out-alpha Luka on the court. Luka is obviously a similar player to Harden so you would have to wonder if their styles would work well together.

The big thing for me would be if I got to dump 2 contracts out of the deal in Wright and more importantly Powell. You would actually get space back in 2022. Also Wright and Powell make up almost 20 mil in 2021 so you aren paying CP3 net 23 mil when you consider the sunk cost of Wright + Powell's money. I have been adamant that Powell is not movable but CP3's salary is so big it might be possible.

I think OKC could get a better deal from the Bucks as Bledsoe is a better return I think that Wright or Powell. The cap savings for OKC would be about the same. The Bucks would give up I am sure at least one pick, the Mavs might be willing to part with one. Anyways it's interesting just bc CP3's massive deal is now only a 2-yr deal and he is still an effective player.

Bucks should be the favorite for CP3. Sixers might rather have CP3 than Harris and I still think Harris has value for some team out there, even if the team that would want Harris only gives back expiring contracts. For example the Knicks would probably just take Harris for cap space as they are desperate for talent. This time last year I would have not thought it would be possible for OKC to dump CP3 but I actually think they will have several options which will actually yield them some kind of asset, probably at least a pick.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-11-2020, 04:04 PM