Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-11-2020, 12:36 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Don’t forget Lee.  Wright/Jackson and Lee at $6.3mm gets the job done once the calendar turns.  This is an example of Plan: “why not do it now” for Dallas.  I have no idea what the proper pick compensation should be, but getting the money right is fairly easy.

Getting a return for Jrue is probably better asset management for NO than letting him get to free agency in 2021.  They are much further behind in the timeline than Dallas and he will be expensive (same agent that just got all that money for Al Horford).  The question is whether Dallas can get away with Wright, two expiring deals and say #18 and 2025.  There will clearly be other bidders, but matching $25mm isn’t easy.  Much will depend on Jrue’s willingness to sign an extension to go somewhere.  He’d be eligible for a 20% raise on his $25mm final year salary.

If you can somehow pull that off and keep your current core (including THJ) and use the MLE this summer (Grant?) then are those three players worth giving up the Giannis chase?  Does the equation change if you have to include Maxi or Curry instead of S&T Lee?

So the Lee thing has been mentioned and sounds interesting on it's face. Have we see a S&T like that in the current CBA? I don't recall whether we have seen a "filler" based S&T. If we did do something like that it would make more sense why the Mavs kept Lee and his big cap hold to begin with. That being said its hard for me to picture that happening if it hasn't happened before in the current CBA.

Grant would be amazing. I can't see any reason why he wouldn't opt out of his current contract as it should be easy for him to resign for more with the Nuggets or another team. The issue for me is why would Denver who gave up a 1st round pick not simply resign him to a long-term deal that is above MLE? I suspect he would get at minimum a full MLE offer from multiple teams. Dallas, who doesn't want to spend 2021 money might change their tune if Giannis is off the table but even then its hard for me to see how they can outbid the market which includes some under the cap teams who can spend more and Denver who has his bird rights.

Jrue would be amazing, I just wonder if GS is going to swoop in with a 2nd overall pick and Wiggins. Wiggins isn't a great player but he is a good player. The biggest issue with him is the 3 years he has left on his deal but you are getting a good player + the 2nd pick. The Pels might be targeting a window 3 years from now anyway or might do a 3 way that lands them a better player than what the Mavs could offer. A lot of teams are open to trading their picks and Jrue is a desired asset by many teams who want to get to the next level. I will keep my finger's crossed but it could be tough.

(09-11-2020, 01:58 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Jrue trade is good example of this, one proposed trade here included Wright and some of our garbage, why would Pelicans accept that? Another trade included Brunson, THJ, 18+31 iirc, that basically giving all of our youth for 30 years old who had only 4 playoff appearance from 11 years career, who could walk next year if he became success, or stay if he was bad to get his money. 

I don't have a problem with criticizing plan powder, I have a problem with the alternatives

So evidently THJ can't be paired with picks anyways so that's a moot point. I don't think I'd give up Brunson who I love simply because you own his rights for a long time and he fits in well with this team's window. As much as I love Curry, I might be willing to give him up for Jrue or another player who is a for-sure starter. Curry's contract is great, another 3 years at low-ish money. He will be 33 at the end of it but has very low miles on his tires in terms of minutes played. He is very much an asset and I would not want to give him up but we have to consider all options that don't include Luka or KP imo.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-11-2020, 02:19 PM