Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-11-2020, 08:19 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Here's the rub with Plan Powder.  If we hold out for max space, we are basically trading 1. THJ, the 2. the 2020 MLE and 3. an alternate player we could trade for in 2020 for that max player.  Other than Giannis, who are we willing to make that deal for?  If the idea is to add a $20mm player in 2021 (while retaining THJ), couldn't we try to spend that same money (through trade) in 2020?  OPJ is on the list as a potential good starter among 2021 FA's.  Why not get him a year early.  Is there a path to FVV or Bogdanovic through S&T AND then still be able to use the MLE?  Short of Giannis, I don't see giving up THJ for two $17mm players in 2021 as one will simply replace THJ.  

I think the better plan, once I looked at the numbers, is Plan Powder Be Damned.  You have Wright, Jackson and Lee who can be combined for a pretty large contract (thank you Tyler).  I would probably look at Lee at about $8mm (basically $5mm from Cuban and the Vet Min combined so that the net cost would be Vet Min to the acquiring team).  That gets you into the range of a lot of the big dollar trade names we've discussed (or FA's like FVV and Bogdan).  We have plenty of stand still shooters (THJ and Curry) and traditional bigs (KP, Maxi, Powell and presumably WCS).  We need a playmaker who can also play off the ball and cover the other team's best guard (a better Wright or a better Burke).  And, we need a Power Wing who defends and hits 3's (a better DFS so that DFS can be a super sub).  Add those two guys and this is top 3/4 right now.  Other than Giannis, what is the point in waiting?

Awesome stuff - I'm starting to see this in a different way, thanks. I still think Giannis might be worth it, but I admit that if he's the only option, the plan gets much more pipe dreamy than I've been thinking it would be.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-11-2020, 08:53 AM