Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-10-2020, 02:56 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 02:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Who is actually available that the Mavs could get?
Other than Young who Dan has turned me on to, I wonder about Gordon who I think will be available, but not sure if at a price we have to pay. Haven’t watched him enough to know if he plays bigger than he is or is just so much more athletic than who he is defending but if so, he would be the top of the list to me.

I’ll have to get back to you on any more than that.

I like Gordon, but to be honest, I don't think he represents significant improvement with KP. I think you run into the same problems you do with Powell, and I'm not sure that Powell isn't the smarter, more effective player. They're very similar players in that both would be the roll man, which basically makes KP the dude who stands in the corner. Right now, today, my thinking is that the better choice between those two for the Mavs' needs is the one more likely to accept a role coming off of the bench. I could be talked out of that, however.

(09-10-2020, 03:05 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The problem with Delon was he killed the offense AND didn't help the D in any noticeable way most of the time.

Have you considered the idea that maybe the two sides of that coin are linked? Like, is it not possible that trying to play a role on offense for which he was ill-suited affected his focus on the other end? Because I honestly think the dude was in his own head all season, passing up open shots, etc.

I mean, I'm not arguing with your plus/minus evaluations (or whatever) and ultimately, I agree with your assessment of the player, but I do feel like the guy is interchangeable with the type of "defenders" a lot of fans are convinced the team needs. The reality is that on court fit affects results, and not always in easily noticeable ways.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-10-2020, 03:08 PM