Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-10-2020, 02:11 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Wright...is certainly a better defender than most of the Mavs' players but he just isn't a fit. Rick could never really find a role for him so he is like 99% gone this offseason imo. 

I could see him flourishing on another team, especially one that could let him hold the ball more on offense. On the Mavs team he had to do more off-ball stuff which didn't really suit his game. 

This is my point, exactly. And, I'll add this: if Wright has to have the ball in his hands in order to contribute on offense, which seems to be the case, then which playoff team is signing up for that? In other words, since he's clearly a below average choice to initiate your offense, isn't that just another way of saying he can't play on a good team?

Identifying these issues BEFORE a player is acquired is paramount to effective team building. And, while the Wright error doesn't ruin anything, it does present an issue you have to overcome to move forward. This acquisition, rather than any player the team DIDN'T acquire, was the biggest failure of the last off season. This is my point. No more moves like that, just so people can see that you're "doing something." And, to be fair, the better the team gets, the more defined their holes become, so it should get easier for the front office to tell the difference between good moves and bad moves as time passes.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-10-2020, 02:32 PM