Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-10-2020, 11:29 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: What would you do if you were the Mavs' GM?

I've written this on multiple occasions. I would identify what I thought the team was missing to get to the next level (we've all done this already, but we don't all agree, shocking). I would diligently search for available players who I was POSITIVE fill those needs, and once identified, I would try to acquire them by any means possible. My thought is that the summer of 2021 is probably the best opportunity to do that, since there's a clear path to creating space and loads of players available, but I in no way would go into hibernation mode and wait for that. I'd work hard in the meantime, for sure. 

But, what I wouldn't do is acquire players who I'm HOPING MIGHT be better than what I have, because what I have is better (way, way better) than what I thought I had. For example, I'm seeing trade ideas for Eric Bledsoe, and maybe I'm misunderstanding the role intended for him by the poster, but replacing THJ in our lineup with Eric Bledsoe would be a huge, huge mistake. Yes, fans who watch Hardaway every night see the flaws in his game, but they also become desensitized to the positives he brings. I think he's literally 5x the player Bledsoe is right now. That's just one example. The fan board MO seems to be "I've heard of that guy, GET HIM!" This way of thinking is not at all how the pros do it. 

The toughest pieces to acquire are here already, and again, this team, right now, for a limited time, is in a position where they can improve (maybe significantly) through simple continuity and allowing the lessons learned this year to sink in and affect next year's play. Rocking the boat in ways that are unsuccessful doesn't stop at failing to improve the team, it often makes the team worse. For example, if Delon Wright had been a more high profile player (or a just a bad person) he would have constantly had microphones in his face this season about why it wasn't working out for him here, why he wasn't playing, etc. 1-2 of that type of roster error can easily set this whole endeavor back considerably. 

It's so easy to lose focus on this, but this team COMPETES. Based on what we've seen in the bubble, that's far from a given in the league right now, even for the "good" teams. They LIKE each other, and they believe in Luka. This isn't the end-all-be-all goal when building the roster, but it's sooooo much more important (and difficult to achieve) than I think we know. Yes, you go for it - the roster isn't there yet. But, if it's me, I'm not trying to take risks until I'm sure about what I have. I honestly believe the team I have is better than UTAH, OKC, Denver and maybe even Houston. And again (I have a feeling this is the point of divergence) I see a team that's still improving from within. 

I hate naming specifics, because we really have no idea who's available, and for what, but if your "two starters" were Jerami Grant and Jrue Holiday, I'd happily pull the trigger. I doubt that exact combo of players is available, but those are two types I feel like the team needs. But, what if by simply waiting through a likely shortened season that could potentially still be dealing with pandemic issues, and one that even you, yourself have admitted there's very little chance our Mavs can truly compete with the LA teams, they can get to a situation wherein they're presented with options far superior to any that appear over the next 6 months?

What if they can get something of equal value on the court in a year, while re-signing some of these guys you want to trade to come off the bench? The permutations are endless, and any door you walk through closes others. Much better to stay still until you're sure you're choosing the right door. If they're presented with a door they feel compelled to walk through, then F yes, they should run through it. When you post, I get a vibe that communicates "anything is better than this" and that is far, far from true. There are scads of teams in this league who wish their problems were THJ/Seth flavored instead of the doo-doo popsicles they're having to force down. 

All I'm saying is that my standard for player movement right now is miles above "different." If you, as a fan, put yourself in a mindset where you'll be disappointed if/when a certain amount of moves aren't made, then in my opinion you're cheating yourself out of a big part of the enjoyment that comes from follwing a team that doesn't suck.

Think of it this way, as I believe most of us would agree with this:

When the Mavs targeted Kemba Walker last off season I scratched my head, and I actually remember being slightly relieved when he didn't come here. But now, after watching the team play a playoff series, I absolutely understand why they had that guy targeted, and I absolutely agree that what he offers on the court is one of the things this team needs. So, in a way, even though they didn't get him, they scored points with me for that. 

Further, if I'm Kemba LAST summer, I choose Boston 10/10 times. If that same situation played out THIS off-season, I think he gives the Mavs a harder look. Not sure he doesn't still settle on the thought that Boston is a better team and situation for him, but every player in the league just watched the Mavs give the Clippers much more fight than LA was hoping for, so the seed has been planted. In other words, what WE think of this team and what THE WORLD thinks of this team are starting to trend towards similarity. This is a good thing.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-10-2020, 12:06 PM