Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-10-2020, 09:34 AM)Mike lorenzo Wrote: We don't have assets, to catch a big fish ... I think that's why wait Fa21. seems like the most realistic way to get a great player

Who is this great player? Giannis if he wants to sign would qualify but then again thats like a .1% shot. After that who are we targeting? And is that player any better than what we could get for assets we do have:

- 2 picks
- Expiring contracts
- Maxi, Curry, DFS, Brunson value role players

The above are all assets. Now we might not want to part with any of our valuable role guys but then it just depends on what you are getting in return. You are probably not getting a star back for any combination of these assets but like I said you probably aren't going to get a star in 2021 FA either.

I like Aaron Gordon a lot. He'd be a guy I would throw some assets at to get but I think there will be competition for him and I am not sure Orlando moves him.

There aren't a lot of names out there that I am that into. I think you might look at overpaid players or older guys that perhaps are on the decline but maybe only have a couple years left on their deals. There just aren't many 25 yr old stars are almost stars out there for the taking. The KP trade was an absolute masterpiece and might be a once in a decade type move that would be hard to ever repeat.

One strategy Mavs have gone for a couple of times is trying to overpay RFAs. Here is your 2021 RFA list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/rfa/

You also see that if the team is hesitant to match you can offer up a pick in return like the Pacers did with Brogdon last summer.

A lot of these RFAs will be maxed: Tatum, Isaac but there are likely some names in there that are guys you could overpay to steal them away if you like them. This is the only route to get a younger player in free agency, which the Mavs would be interested in doing as that player would then be in the same age range as their current stars.

Any of these names do anything for anybody? I am particularly interested in any guard or forward that is a two-way player.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-10-2020, 10:15 AM