Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Hi Scott, the edit you made to my post displays a significant misunderstanding of my point. Like way, way off. Not even sure where to go from here, except to double down on the (obvious) point that going into this off-season with the mindset of "two new starters or bust" is probably the most risky approach they can take. 

That's EXACTLY how Mayo/Collison/Kaman happened. They felt like they had to "do something" and that's the something they were able to do. The difference is that at that time, they might have been correct about that. THIS team doesn't HAVE to do anything. 

You love the Mavs, so I'm not mad, but you should really work on your nuance skills. Nowhere have I said that the plan should be to maintain cap space indefinitely as a rule. However, I would certainly prefer that to Mayo/Collison/Kaman, as you put it. You should, too. 

It's really all about them having a plan, at this point. If there are multiple targets for 2021 that they believe are viable and fit, they'd be stupid to jeopardize that, UNLESS (big unless there) they see an even better path that differs. Since they've done the hard part already, drafting Luka and adding KP, then it's really about identifying what they need, when and how players will be available, and the most likely way they can be acquired. 

Since they don't have picks to trade and the vast majority of players on the roster are actually useful contributors (but not the type that are valuable in trades), then it seems like 2021 is their best shot at acquiring talent, whether that be a 3rd start, 2-3 GREAT role players, whatev. 

I'm not saying they should do nothing this off season no matter what, or even approach things with that mindset. I think you look at every way you possibly can to improve your team. I'm just saying there are WAY worse things that can happen this time around than failing to acquire two new starters. This should be obvious to anyone who has followed the team and sport for as long as you have.

(09-09-2020, 10:24 PM)cow Wrote: That's all to say that if there is opportunity in front of you this off season, you take it (bird in the hand is worth two in the bush), 2021 cap space be damned.  If Giannis wants to come here, you can work your roster and cap to make that happen.

Totally agree, but again, it depends on the opportunity in front of you. My feeling is that Giannis or no Giannis, there will likely be better opportunities NEXT off season than there will be in this one. But hell yes, kick the tires. Be thorough. 

I'm just not going to pick up my pitchfork if they don't wow me this time around, because I feel like they have a plan, and I feel like that plan has legs (unlike the 5-6 years of click bait Fish sold us).

I don't think Giannis is going to happen, for what it's worth, but it's not lunacy. The playoffs aren't even over, and we've got national writers on national shows and podcasts already saying that Dallas is going to be the place to go in 2021. This is NOT the same situation we endured for the past decade. 

We don't have to defend our under appreciated superstar this time around (the way we did with Dirk). The whole league sees Luka with both eyes, and they're jealous af. He has GLOBAL appeal.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-09-2020, 10:51 PM