Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-08-2020, 07:10 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I know this is not possible but I think there are a few super stars in this draft. I know the Mavericks do not have much to move up but if we could package resources I will be all in on going after USC big man Onyeka Okongwu. 

I think this kid is going to be a superstar and may slide in the top 10. One of the things we don't have is a big guy that can score on the inside. We are too perimeter oriented and rely to much on Luka's playmaking. This is a guy that you can throw it inside to and can score. I think you can slide him into the 4 spot as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qUx5SwhXA&t=350s

It's an interesting idea, but I have to ask why would the Mavs invest in what little they have left in tradeable assets to move up and select a big man, when the league is trending further and further away from any sort of big guy on the floor? 

On top of that the risk that comes with investing those assets to go and hope a rookie develops into something seems like focusing on the wrong thing. Another question is to ask, does a team that wants to take the next step in contending really want to rely on a rookie to bring them there? I made a post earlier saying the last time any rookie had a major impact on taking a team to the next level was Tim Duncan. It rarely, if ever, happens. 

Lastly, this all depends on how much it costs to move up. If all it costs is say 18+31 and Wright to select someone like Okongwu? Well I'd be mad if the Mavs didn't go for that. But I doubt it'd be so easy. Also, I would totally change my tune if Luka wasn't as good as he is right now. The dude just put up 30/10/10 on 50% shooting in the dang playoffs. He's the most win-now dude I've ever seen. Waiting on a rookie to develop and hope he becomes the guy the Mavs need seems like wasted time. 

It's funny because I like Okongwu. I think he has a better chance than most in this draft to be something in this league, but I don't know if he'd get fair chance on the Mavs to get there.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by SleepingHero - 09-08-2020, 10:25 PM