Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-08-2020, 02:48 PM)Mapka Wrote: That would be Rondo - Bäh - why did you even ask xD.

Rondo wasn't a rookie when the Celts got their core. They went to the finals in 08, Rondo's 2nd year. I haven't researched it but I'm pretty confident it was Tim Duncan just off hand. Just goes to show how rare it is a rookie can come in a turn a good team into a title contender team. 

(09-08-2020, 02:48 PM)Mapka Wrote: But players on their rookie contracts would recently be OG and Pascal and Barnes and Green.

I'm fine with trading the pick for a player.
But not for cap clearing or hope on a big fish 2 years from now.
I would be fine with having no cap for the next 15 years. 

And that's fair. Having impact players on rookie deals is legitimately the best scenario a team could ask for. The fact Luka is on his rookie deal is the only reason why we're shooting for a max player. 

But I think we differ on the cap clearing part. I am more in the boat of keeping the opportunities open if they're worth it. 2x MVP and DPOY in his prime is certainly worth it. I wouldn't be against the Mavs making a trade that doesn't preserve 2021 capspace as long as the piece is 1. worth the risk of losing the Giannis opportunity and can be easily moved in case Giannis does want to come here.

(09-08-2020, 03:42 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: This is a meh trade to me. Why do the Mavs want Randle for 1 year? He is redundant with Powell who is already our buckets big off the bench going forward (hopefully). Randle can put up a lot more points but gives you nothing defensively. Mavs need defense in their starting lineup.

All good points. I was more focusing on the Mavs being able to trade multiple picks much earlier with that trade, and how it frees up the shackles in trading moreso than Randle himself. He's almost an afterthought. 

Not to say he's bad. He's a lethal scorer that can be a 20ppg guy off the bench. We haven't had that since JET. He wouldn't be any worse than Powell and be a better guy to lead the 2nd unit. 

But after thinking about it this trade isn't THAT good. It's meh for sure. It wouldn't be in my first top 15 trades. But it's certainly a route.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by SleepingHero - 09-08-2020, 05:56 PM