Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 05:08 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: BBall Index shows players by percentile rank league-wide in 11 different categories.  The profiles are really similar.  They suck at the same stuff...exactly.  They are both Elite Roll Men.  As you might expect, Harrell is better bullying his way to the hole either by posting up or driving.  That meets the eye test.  Powell isn't a dog at these things.  Just not at Harrell's level.  Powell is the better perimeter defender by a pretty healthy margin. That also meets the eye test.  You can't be a net positive by a substantial margin three years in a row and be the one trick pony people make Powell out to be.  
I knew someone would come out with the stats if I pushed hard enough on Powell. I don't ever mean to disrespect Powell the player, I think he is in over his head as a starter but absolutely love the combo of Maxi and him off the bench and think he can still be that guy post-injury (the $10M is also too tough a pill to swallow for the role he plays IMO, and is why I would trade him to get a better paid/fitting player, then find someone who can do a decent enough job at what Powell does and start coaching him up.

Also, thank you, I don't have BBIndex on my saved sites and will now. Haven't gotten deep into stats for a while and since I did there have been a ton of developments on that front (as ever-changing as they are). 

Side note: would love to read an offseason thread from some of you guys that have stayed into stats so much about what sites you guys go to and the stats you think are the best to extract the information needed. Not an ultra "fun" read for the lay men, but a super great crash course on stats for those who have been away too long like me, or want to get a better understanding. I remember this used to be a pretty regular theme throughout our years with Fish with Kamm being a big contributor.

On to the Harrell vs. Powell thing. I can see where the stats would put them roughly in the same place. So, as far as fit, Powell being a better perimeter defender by far while Harrell is the better bully around the basket is what is talked about as being needed on this team. LaC doesn't need better perimeter defense, they have a group of some of the best perimeter defenders in the world. That's why Harrell thrives in their system. 

While yes, Powell's better perimeter defense is needed on this team, that is only true cause we don't have enough guys to do that in the positions that skill is needed most. To me, Powell's positional need on this team is someone who can bully their way around in the middle, to match (at least enough to not let a Zubac type guy go off on us game after game) the other team's bully/big, which most all teams have, esp at the top. 

Side note: Miami is full of those bully types, that to me is why they pretty much dominated us and are doing so well in the playoffs. 

That is also due to the fact that we have a C in KP who cannot do it (at least yet, maybe he gets to the point in the future where he has the bulk and instincts to counter his high center of gravity). So in terms of fit on this team, that is why I believe there is so much vitriol sent Powell's way on this board.

(09-04-2020, 05:08 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
Quote:SBJ
I know OPJ has been kicked around. Would you all do OPJ for THJ and Wright (might have to give up pick(s) as well)?
I really feel bad for Porter.  He went from the John Wall induced cesspool in DC to an awful situation in Chicago last year.  He just turned 27.  I don't have any insight into his injuries, but up until 18/19, he was very healthy and exactly what this team needs.  Elite from the corner and Elite perimeter D.  If that guy still exists (and if you can get Wright's money out of here), sign me up.

You have to understand what you are getting.  He's a high end role player.  3rd/4th starter...absolutely.  3rd Star.  No.  But, this is the kind of deal you might have to make to get Wright's money moved.  Healthy Porter > THJ.  I also like the fact it will be a contract year.  If things work, you keep him with Bird rights.  If a true star wants to come here, you wish him well and thank Chicago for taking Wright.
Thank you! OPJ to me is just as needed as RoCo is. My ultimate starting lineup without regard to how gettable the players are is Luka/Smart/OPJ/RoCo/KP. I think OPJ can be more the 3rd scorer (putting up as much as THJ did this season on average) while providing great-to-elite defense. His injury was a left foot bruise which required him to sit for a long period of time so he couldn't practice or anything during recovery. That will make anyone very rusty and is why I think he comes back healthy and rearing to go next season (whenever that is).

I of course would do the SBJ deal. I think Chi might want to extract a bit more, but I don't know with the reports out of there being low on OPJ this season. They only sent Parker, Portis and a protected 2023 second to acquire him, which isn't too much. I think THJ, Wright and #31 is at the very least on par with what they sent to get him, if not much more, as Parker and Porter have so far turned out to be and the #31 isn't protected and is right now. They come out ahead, we come out ahead with the best player in the deal. 

I've been putting multiple players into my Chi deals cause they have so many players that should be better than they are showing there. Would love to add in Young to the trade but don't know what to add from our side unless it's Powell. 

OPJ/Young for THJ/Wright/Powell/#31 (or a later second that is purchased or traded for)

Luka/Brunson/Burke or vet min or rookie
MLE or trade/Curry/vet min
OPJ/DFS/MKG or vet min or trade
Young/Kleber/vet min
KP/WCS (opts in after seeing Powell go)/Boban

Depending on the two-wayness of that 2 spot, that team is ready to make lots of noise!

(09-04-2020, 08:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Just wanted to throw my two cents in:

Otto Porter Jr should be HIGH, HIGH on the list. 

Checks all the boxes.
Your 2 cents is worth $28M!

(09-04-2020, 10:01 PM)omahen Wrote: I wouldn't use all our assets to drop contracts unless we sign very valuable pieces like FVV/Grant or trade for much better fitting players. We didn't have so much problems inside, our perimeter and PnR defense was bad. I would consider this combination for OPJ though. It would really nicely clear our cap space for 2021 and a good fitting player. We would still have max space in 2021 if we get Porter to resign at some 15 per. Or we can choose between him or THJ, depending who would have a better season. Or we can resign both and add another 15 - 20 per player.
Man, this is so much cake and eating it too. I think THJ's perimeter defense is way too bad (when paired with Luka, stats guys are gonna come in here and show me how I'm wrong on this...I know) to want him back on the team as a starter, but this does also give the FO what I think they want in keeping THJ with the group as a core piece. We can add another good two way starter with that $15-20M extra and we are for sure contenders IMO.

(09-04-2020, 05:45 PM)Tyler Wrote: Lee would be a S&T for as much as it takes to balance the salaries but with only 1 year guaranteed
This would have to be done after the moratorium is lifted, which makes it tricky when the draft is already over and Chi hasn't picked the guy they want with the pick we're giving them. If it's accepted before the draft, but can't be executed til the moratorium is lifted, that's some time for Ballmer to lock Reinsdorf in his house house and feed him Raising Cane's chicken until he changes his mind!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by ItsGoTime - 09-05-2020, 10:08 AM