Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 11:11 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Also, correct me if Iam wrong. I don't think the Mavs lose THJ's bird rights if he opt out. Isn't this the same scenario that people were hoping Barnes would do to sign players when he was with the Mavs (opt out, sign player(s), resign for less)?

Because in my mind the Mavs have 108 mill under the books before THJ opts out, his opting out creates 18.9 million in cap space which then can be used on other players (Fournier) and then him signed later to go over the cap.

To retain the Bird rights of an expiring player, there's something called a cap hold, which remains part of your cap calculations going into the offseason. In the case of THJ, his cap hold would be larger than what the Mavs would want to sign him for if they have any sanity whatsoever. In other words, your $18.9 mil in cap space is completely non-existent if you want to re-sign THJ using Bird rights. I suppose you could sign him with the cap room you created, but I don't think that has anything to do with what you were getting at...
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Scott41theMavs - 09-05-2020, 01:22 AM