Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 08:20 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I am loving this conversation between Killer and Omahen.  It basically breaks down to the difference between Plan Powder and Plan Go for It Now.  There were several other points made that I found interesting:

(09-03-2020, 08:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:  
Unlike most, I expect WCS to opt in 

I would also not be shocked if Barea and even Courtney Lee were brought back, given how respected they seem to be by the team and how often they're given credit for veteran mentorship. They have great relationships with Luka and KP, after all. 

Yes to both Lee and WCS.  The team has basically said Lee is coming back by keeping his roster spot (and Bird rights) alive even when he wasn't available in the Bubble.  Is that to create an expiring contract to trade or as a veteran mentor?  Don't know.  The ship appears to have sailed on JJB.  I think WCS would be nuts to leave.  Right now he's a minimum wage guy making $400k over the minimum.  The best way to increase his value is to play some PnR with Luka and move his feet well on the perimeter.  Both are strengths of his.  I think an off season and training camp here could really help him.  He has a ton of talent if he could just put it all together somewhere.  BTW, a year from now WCS will qualify as an EB free agent and we can pay him up to the MLE with a very small cap hold.

(09-04-2020, 12:21 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Scott, before the injury, Powell was ELITE as a vertical, rim running threat, and was probably the second most important contributor to the offensive rating we've been discussing all season. I just heard an interview with Steve Kerr the other day in which he was asked why modern offenses are so difficult to guard, and literally, the first example he mentioned was Dallas, because of Dwight Powell and all the vertical space he's able to create. 

There are other guys who can run, jump and catch the ball, and other guys who can pass. But, the combo of Luka and Powell was ELITE, and created a different geometry for other players on the court. Yes, Luka is 50% of that result, but come on, my guy  

Finally, someone who gets it.  BTW, Powell was elite catching lobs from Barea and Harris.  It didn't just start when Luka showed up.

(09-04-2020, 12:56 AM)omahen Wrote: I can't agree with this kind of plan. It is quite possible there will be ZERO max worthy players available in 2021. We should do our best this offseason and spend assets this offseason without caring about 2021.  

Of course this doesn't mean we trade because of trading. It means you do the moves to improve. Bring in a good MLE. I am sure moving a young player like DJJ or Dunn on a value contract will not be difficult,  

If you have Giannis money going into 2021, might you spend it on two $17mm players?  Some have theorized that we don't need a third "STAR".  Only 3rd and 4th starters who are really good which would move our role players into more appropriate positions on the depth chart.  Of course, if you are willing to accept this line of thinking, then it doesn't matter if you get those $17mm players in 2020 or 2021.  

I've mentioned the concept of "Plan Have it Both Ways".  Giannis is MUCH more likely to move by trade than he is by a free agent signing for cap space.  If you want to be in the game for such a trade, you probably want expiring contracts during 20/21 and enough marketable talent to be in the game in the 21/22 off season.  In much the same way as a Euro-stash makes sense for Plan Powder, trading up for a Lottery Level Talent (and name) or trading 31 for a future (protected) first makes sense if you want to ultimately trade for Giannis.  So does adding talent in the upcoming off season.  That way you have more good players on contracts that Milwaukee (or third parties) will want.  Main point being that Plan Powder doesn't necessarily have to be about Max contracts.

(09-04-2020, 01:09 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Here's something that I believe is FACTUAL, and that I'd like everyone to reflect on, if possible:

There is literally no move or series of moves that can be made this off season that will result in Dallas being a title contender next season. That path doesn't exist. The Clippers, Lakers and Warriors will all be better than them next year, no matter what they do.

Does a combination of players that could push Dallas over the top next year exist?  

Is this the right question?  I think there are moves that get us to top 3/4 in the west hosting two rounds of playoff games.  Get there and take a contender to seven games and then let's talk about players dreaming of coming to Dallas to play with Luka.

Making moves just to make moves this off season (it is driving me nuts that I can't just type "summer") feels like impatience.  Holding Max cap room hoping for Giannis to look our way feels equally foolish.  Whichever way they go (or something in the middle), I don't think championship in 21 is the goal.  The question is what is the best path to multiple championships starting as early as 22.  That, to me, is a much more interesting conversation than whether this guy or that guy is a better fit.

Quoting this without comment in an effort to encourage people to read it again. School.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-05-2020, 01:18 AM