Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 10:01 PM)omahen Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Playmaker Wrote: So anyone saying that won't be a contender regardless of what they do in offseason is short sighted.
 I love the approach and non plan powder concept, but you have just so many mistakes.

(09-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Playmaker Wrote: First, I trade for Aaron Gordon without giving up a draft pick.

Well, Magic might have something to say about that. They are not just giving Gordon away and Curry/Brunson is not really a great prize. Wright is neutral value at best, although I think Orlando would be better and cheaper off by resigning either Augustine or MCW (or draft a PG). #31 doesn't move the needle.

(09-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Also when or if the Bucks are ready trade Giannis, Gordon will be a 16 mil expiring contract.

Nope, not expiring, he will have another year on his contract. And if Bucks decide to trade Giannis (which I don't see happening), Mavs certainly don't have the ammo to trade for him. Gordon doesn't change that at all. Giannis trade would require several very high ceiling youngsters and a lot of picks. The only chance is free agency.

(09-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Playmaker Wrote: Then I trade Jackson to Philly for Mike Smith and maybe a second rounder.

I guess you mean Scott and I don't see Philly incentive for this trade. They don't save any money and they get a player who might be out of the NBA after the season. If they are attaching picks, they don't want salary back or they want an actually useful player.

(09-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Playmaker Wrote: trade up for Josh Green from #31

Using what asset? Josh Green is middle of first round in most mocks. Far from #31. And I think you spent your #31 for Gordon anyway Smile 
(09-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Playmaker Wrote: After Fournier opts out I sign him to  something around 15 mil/season for 4 years.

Where will you get cap space for that?

(09-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Playmaker Wrote: I then sign THJ using his bird right to go over the cap to sign the same contract as Fournier.

The only way to sign Fournier would be to renounce THJ and lose his bird rights. You can't have both.

(09-04-2020, 08:32 PM)Playmaker Wrote: I also bring in Burke for the vet Minimum

He might have something to say about that Smile

(09-04-2020, 09:10 PM)DirkFan9 Wrote: If drummond opts in before draft night, maybe cavs agree with drummond for powell/wright/jackson + 18th or 31st?

We can try if drummond can help us inside. He is also expiring on 2021.

I wouldn't use all our assets to drop contracts unless we sign very valuable pieces like FVV/Grant or trade for much better fitting players. We didn't have so much problems inside, our perimeter and PnR defense was bad. I would consider this combination for OPJ though. It would really nicely clear our cap space for 2021 and a good fitting player. We would still have max space in 2021 if we get Porter to resign at some 15 per. Or we can choose between him or THJ, depending who would have a better season. Or we can resign both and add another 15 - 20 per player.
First, Orlando is not going to get anything significant for Gordon.  Gordon will be a FA in a couple of seasons and could easily tell them them he won't be signing again with them.  The time to get any value for him is now. 

My trade for Giannis using Gordon would be a sign and trade in the 2021 off season, similar to what Miami did with Butler.  I don't see the Bucks trading Giannis in the off season even if they're wept.  They will let him walk as a FA and that point it would probably make better sense getting something (i.e Gordon, two young players/rookies, and maybe more) of value instead of nothing.

Moreover even if the Mavs end up attaching 18 to a Gordon trade that is fine.  Cuban can still buy into round to make my roster work though you would need some luck.  

Next, Mock drafts have Green going from 20-30 in the round, not middle of first round.  I would consider using other second round picks to move up a few spots if for instance he gets to 28 or 29.  If not I may even consider the 2025 first rounder for something higher.  

Also, correct me if Iam wrong.  I don't think the Mavs lose THJ's bird rights if he opt out.  Isn't this the same scenario that people were hoping Barnes would do to sign players when he was with the Mavs (opt out, sign player(s), resign for less)? 

Because in my mind the Mavs have 108 mill under the books before THJ opts out, his opting out creates 18.9 million in cap space which then can be used on other players (Fournier) and then him signed later to go over the cap.

Also I don't see Burke getting above the Minimum.  He has really only looked like an NBA player under Carlisle.  He's not going to get the Green light like he has at the Mavs.  He plays a glorified SG for the Mavs other teams will actually want him to run a team.  If gets more money elsewhere and wants to leave, I wish him the best and give him a ride to the airport.    

Yes Mike Scott would be acquired for a future second rounder from the Mavs.  Or if thats not enough value this trade can be removed and Jackson contract used for a future trade.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Playmaker - 09-04-2020, 11:11 PM