Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
How many close games did the Mavs lose this season? If they win a majority of those they would have been a contender this season.

So anyone saying that won't be a contender regardless of what they do in offseason is short sighted. Organic growth of Luka and KP could lead to contention alone. For that reason, I don't agree that the Mavs have to operate under plan powder during the offseason in order to create a contender. Even if Giannis wants to join the Mavs even that could be done by acquiring the right tradeable assests. Giannis potential FA would not prevent me from making changes to the roster bc in all likely hood he will have to be acquired by trade.

This would be my offseason if I was running the Mavs. First, I trade for Aaron Gordon without giving up a draft pick. If Magic won't agree then I would relent starting the negations with #31. But I think something like Curry, Wright, Brunson should work in a trade without any draft compensation being needed. Gordon becomes the player on the Mavs to slow down Giannis, Kawhi, Lebron's of the world. Also when or if the Bucks are ready trade Giannis, Gordon will be a 16 mil expiring contract.

Then I trade Jackson to Philly for Mike Smith and maybe a second rounder.

Next, during the draft take Kira Lewis at 18 and trade up for Josh Green from #31 (if not traded or buy another pick). Lewis becomes Burke on steroids in due time. Green becomes DFS potential replacement in a year or two. Both of these players can be used in Giannis trade if needed.

Then pick up two new UDFA for two way contracts. Reaves and Clayton do nothing for this roster.

Finally during FA, I express my interest in Fournier through his agent and get him to opt out. I also get THJ to opt out to sign a new deal. After Fournier opts out I sign him to something around 15 mil/season for 4 years. I then sign THJ using his bird right to go over the cap to sign the same contract as Fournier. Fournier now becomes a little more defensive with less shooting Curry.
Again either of these players can packaged in a Giannis trade.

I also bring in Burke for the vet Minimum as a mentor to Lewis.

So for next season.
Luka/Burke/Lewis
Fournier/THJ/
DFS/Green/Smith
Gordon/Powell/WCS
KP/Maxi/Boban

This team offers a lot of versatility while surrounding Luka with shooters.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Playmaker - 09-04-2020, 08:32 PM