Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 05:45 PM)Tyler Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 05:08 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I really feel bad for Porter.  He went from the John Wall induced cesspool in DC to an awful situation in Chicago last year.  He just turned 27.  I don't have any insight into his injuries, but up until 18/19, he was very healthy and exactly what this team needs.  Elite from the corner and Elite perimeter D.  If that guy still exists (and if you can get Wright's money out of here), sign me up.

I also like Porter and think he'd be a great fit here, even if I think Dallas would miss THJ more than people think. 

If Chicago isn't inclined to keep Porter after next season anyway, one creative trade idea I've been thinking about is Wright/Lee/18 for Porter. Lee would be a S&T for as much as it takes to balance the salaries but with only 1 year guaranteed, and I can guarantee he'd be happy to unofficially agree to that deal at the draft without worrying about free agency.  Basically, Chicago gets Wright/18, Dallas gets Porter (while maintaining plenty of cap flexibility in '21 with both THJ and Porter expiring), and Lee gets a fat paycheck for being in the right place at the right time.

Sign me up!  I’m a big fan of getting Porter while keeping THJ.  Obviously, I’d love to send 31 instead of 18.  I wonder if you could do a separate Jackson for Felicio deal and keep the first round pick.

By my math it would take $13,712,000 for Lee, so nowhere near any BYC issues (so to answer the question raised...yes this is legal).  Chicago saves $5.77mm plus any money Cuban adds to the deal and could save another $2.5mm if Jackson/Felicio are added.  I’d call that Plan Have it Both Ways as you are adding talent AND maintaining flexibility for 21.  I doubt they would use the MLE for multiple years in this scenario.

KP/Powell
OPJ/Maxi
DFS/
THJ/Curry
Luka/Brunson
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-04-2020, 08:31 PM