Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 05:45 PM)Tyler Wrote: If Chicago isn't inclined to keep Porter after next season anyway, one creative trade idea I've been thinking about is Wright/Lee/18 for Porter. Lee would be a S&T for as much as it takes to balance the salaries but with only 1 year guaranteed, and I can guarantee he'd be happy to unofficially agree to that deal at the draft without worrying about free agency.  Basically, Chicago gets Wright/18, Dallas gets Porter (while maintaining plenty of cap flexibility in '21 with both THJ and Porter expiring), and Lee gets a fat paycheck for being in the right place at the right time.

That's an interesting idea, have we see a S&T like that where a player gets signed just as salary cap filler? Not sure I have seen that in the current CBA at least.

(09-04-2020, 06:12 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm starting to hope that 1) THJ opts out and goes somewhere else, and 2) the Mavs find a way to offload Wright's salary before the opening of free agency. That would likely give the Mavs around $15 mil in cap room - a $10 mil player, a $5 mil player, and the rMLE, which could be used on Burke while freeing Brunson up for trade. 

I don't think THJ will opt out but who knows. I think its more likely Wright gets traded for a player than just space and think there's a better than 50% chance it happens on draft night. Jackson is also good salary filler so Mavs have a pretty decent range of salary matching they can make happen + picks.

Thaddeus Young has been mentioned before and is definitely not a plan "A" type move. I think salaries work straight up for Wright. Young is 32 on the going nowhere Bulls but would probably be a better fit positionally on the Mavs. He plays good defense and has shot decent from 3 the last couple of years. 

He has 6 mil guaranteed in 2021 compared to Wright who has 8.5. Mavs would net a couple of mil which would still probably be enough to carve out a max slot, but now who knows if they even take a chance with that if it's close. I think the Bulls would definitely do a Wright for Young trade but not sure there's enough there for the Mavs.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-04-2020, 06:52 PM