Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 01:22 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 12:40 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I guess I was thinking ab his overall play. Powell is a similar player to Harrell in my view altho Harrell is much more productive and will be getting an even bigger contract.
Similar in that they're both energy guys, but I think the comparison mostly ends there. Not similar in the way they use their energy IMO. Harrell plays bigger than he is, which is important cause he can bang with many of the bigs in the league. Powell isn't on his level in that regard. Harrell is a rebounder esp on the offensive end, Powell is not. Basically Harrell is a bigger Kenneth Faried while DP is another Brendan Wright (slightly upgraded).

If people actually think Harrell is similar to Powell, then I guess I understand now why they like him so much. I don't think they are all that similar at all.

BBall Index shows players by percentile rank league-wide in 11 different categories.  The profiles are really similar.  They suck at the same stuff...exactly.  They are both Elite Roll Men.  As you might expect, Harrell is better bullying his way to the hole either by posting up or driving.  That meets the eye test.  Powell isn't a dog at these things.  Just not at Harrell's level.  Powell is the better perimeter defender by a pretty healthy margin. That also meets the eye test.  You can't be a net positive by a substantial margin three years in a row and be the one trick pony people make Powell out to be.  

I think Powell's best role is off the bench.  We've seen that movie before and it was pretty good.  BTW, Curry and Maxi are both probably best off the bench.  Our issue isn't the bench when are bench guys are playing bench roles.  Our issue is we don't have enough quality in the 3rd/4th starter category.

(09-04-2020, 04:38 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
I know OPJ has been kicked around. Would you all do OPJ for THJ and Wright (might have to give up pick(s) as well)?

I really feel bad for Porter.  He went from the John Wall induced cesspool in DC to an awful situation in Chicago last year.  He just turned 27.  I don't have any insight into his injuries, but up until 18/19, he was very healthy and exactly what this team needs.  Elite from the corner and Elite perimeter D.  If that guy still exists (and if you can get Wright's money out of here), sign me up.

You have to understand what you are getting.  He's a high end role player.  3rd/4th starter...absolutely.  3rd Star.  No.  But, this is the kind of deal you might have to make to get Wright's money moved.  Healthy Porter > THJ.  I also like the fact it will be a contract year.  If things work, you keep him with Bird rights.  If a true star wants to come here, you wish him well and thank Chicago for taking Wright.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Powell Harrell.xlsx (Size: 9.37 KB / Downloads: 5)
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-04-2020, 05:08 PM