Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 10:52 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 10:46 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I've never had a huge issue with Powell the player (I've had an issue with Cuban's obsession on winning the Rondo trade through him). I wish he was a better defender than he is, but his contribution to the team as a rim runner is for sure valuable. How valuable? I don't think it's $10M or more valuable. I don't like that it took him 2-3 years to get to where he is and believe it wouldn't take that long to get someone else who already has the athleticism and work ethic up to speed. 

In talking about rim running in general, I think it's a great offensive feature to wow fans during the season, but in the playoffs when defenses tighten up and game plans can be created to easily stop it, it becomes much less useful. These are some things I think that give the why for those saying he needs to be moved or he needs to have a lesser role off the bench (my position, except it's really hard to see $10M on the bench).  

I agree because of Cuban's obsession with Powell and the Rondo trade that he will 99.99% be on the team next year. Doesn't mean we shouldn't hope for or believe there is an upgrade out there for that $10M.

Harrell wrecked us in the first round with his rim running. We couldn't guard him, especially when KP wasn't on the floor. I think Powell provided a similar problem for other teams and thus would also be an asset in the playoffs off the bench. That's provided he can still be as effective as he was pre-achilles. We will see. We know that Powell had insane efficiency metrics so it will be easy enough to measure whether he can operate near that level of efficiency next season.

My point od view says the exact opposite - we could abuse the clips every time Harrell steped on the floor by matching him with Boban - when we lost KP Zubac was killing us. Thus I think Powell can do this to others or let them choose to get destroyed by Luka/KP
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Mapka - 09-04-2020, 11:52 AM