Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 08:49 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 08:36 AM)omahen Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 08:20 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think WCS would be nuts to leave.

I am looking at it a bit differently. WCS might have problem getting minutes in Dallas. They didn't play him even when KP was out. And once Powell comes back, he could be literally buried on the bench. Perhaps Powell will be back by the start of next season (who knows when that will be). This is why it could make sense for him to go somewhere, even if for vet min, where he would actually play.

Interestingly, WCS is represented by ROC Nation.  They also represent Trey Burke.  Spencer Dinwiddie, who I am VERY interested in as a 2021 FA, Danny Green, the Morris brothers and Kevin Porter are also clients.  The reason I mention Porter is I like the idea of dealing Jackson for Cedi and Cleveland dealing Cedi is helpful to Porter's future earnings.

I like the move to get Cedi, since he also seems to be on a value contract. Would you envision something like Jackson + 31 for him? Could you make it bigger by adding Wright + 18 in a S&T for Thompson somehow? Curious to know what your thoughts are on Thompson as he could be good starter level insurance for games when KP rests (but not to the level that PHI did with Horford).

I’m in the minority that does NOT want to trade Powell (let’s see him healthy for a full year with this team) and the minority that wants WCS to opt in. I think having him for a training camp will be incredibly helpful to his on court production and chemistry, and hopefully he won’t have any family emergencies that cause him to miss long periods of time. (I believe he missed 6 games due to a family death very shortly after the trade which doesn’t make it any easier to integrate yourself mid season)

In terms of THJ player option, what if he opts out to take a bigger, one year deal with a *wink wink* “we’ll sign you again next summer but we want to pay part of that now so that you don’t eat up more of our cap space next year” type deal. Assuming he opts in and Dallas extended him in 2021 for 3/45, what if they gave him 5-10 of that this offseason? Just a thought, and obviously things could come up that would result in trading him or not resigning him, but it’s an interesting idea.

Burke in Dallas is similar to JJB in Dallas. When Barea left to play in Minnesota, he didn’t have the on court success because their style didn’t fit him as well as Dallas did. Burke recognizes this, especially after being cut by Philly and having eyes on Dallas immediately after because he knows this is where he is the most productive. Ultimately, I think this persuades him to come back, but I’m concerned at how much Dallas will pay him when they’ve already got Brunson (who I don’t trade unless it’s for a high level starter or 2021 first, most of my hypothetical trades will try to gain a first in a deep draft)
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by SamStetz - 09-04-2020, 09:59 AM