Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-04-2020, 12:56 AM)omahen Wrote: Someone else put it very nicely - cap space is not an asset. No one will come because you have cap space. They will come because you have a good team. So worry about that first.

I totally, completely agree with this. 

But, I think it's bonkers not to acknowledge that right now, at this moment, people from all over the league are picturing themselves catching passes from Luka. Not necessarily other ball dominant superstars, but players smart enough to know the value of playing next to him. This is the key ingredient that "plan powder" (never liked that term, it's one of Fish's dumb things) was always lacking. Even in Dirk's prime, he didn't have the kind of drawing power Luka does already, in year 2. To turn their backs on this simple fact would be lunacy. 

I am NOT advocating for years of "keep the powder dry." I'm saying that right now, the smartest thing might be to play it conservative for one, single, shortened and possibly even live spectator free season to give Luka the chance to invite people here. Once. 

I 100% promise you that I was more against the rolling of cap room from year to year than anyone else on this board. Not only did I think it was stupid to break up the title team, I thought it was morally wrong. Part of me will hate Mark Cuban for that until the day I draw my last breath. 

This is different. I'm not saying Giannis will come here after next season, but OMFG, for once, I can put myself in his shoes and not laugh at the question.

EDIT: of course Burke isn't a starter, that was my entire point. But, I'm pretty confident he just played his way past "minimum" offers. Like I said, think in terms of half the MLE. If you don't want him for that, you're not getting him. If that's cool with you, fair enough, but I think half this team's fans pencil him onto the roster and then start dreaming up ways to spend that MLE. I really don't think it's going to work out like that.

Here's something that I believe is FACTUAL, and that I'd like everyone to reflect on, if possible:

There is literally no move or series of moves that can be made this off season that will result in Dallas being a title contender next season. That path doesn't exist. The Clippers, Lakers and Warriors will all be better than them next year, no matter what they do.

Does a combination of players that could push Dallas over the top next year exist? Yes, of course, but there isn't a way for them to get from here to there in one off season. So, doesn't it make sense to play chess, rather than checkers? In other words, doesn't it make sense NOT to do to Luka what Donnie and Cuban did to Dirk? 

I'm not saying they should adopt a holding pattern and just power down until 2021 free agency. Of course you try to improve, and of course you try to acquire players you think will still be here when the team is ready to truly compete! I'm just saying that they should keep that option available, or at least keep themselves within a couple of movable contracts of that option being available. And, btw, THEY SO OBVIOUSLY ARE THINKING IN EXACTLY THE WAY I'M DESCRIBING. So far, at least.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-04-2020, 01:09 AM