Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Scott, before the injury, Powell was ELITE as a vertical, rim running threat, and was probably the second most important contributor to the offensive rating we've been discussing all season. I just heard an interview with Steve Kerr the other day in which he was asked why modern offenses are so difficult to guard, and literally, the first example he mentioned was Dallas, because of Dwight Powell and all the vertical space he's able to create. 

There are other guys who can run, jump and catch the ball, and other guys who can pass. But, the combo of Luka and Powell was ELITE, and created a different geometry for other players on the court. Yes, Luka is 50% of that result, but come on, my guy - you think Harden can't make those passes? Lebron? CP3? The list goes on, and if it were a simple matter of just pairing a great passer with a rim runner, almost every team would look like the Mavs looked early in the year. The instincts Powell had for angles, timing...the EFFORT involved...these elements are far more precious than I think you believe. 

Now, will he be anything remotely like what he was this year when he comes back? That's a fair question. 

And, I'll go one better and agree that the way they started the year with Powell wasn't ideal, but to me, it wasn't because Powell wasn't good enough, but rather because he and Porzingis were a poor pairing in the front court. I said it then, and I'll say it again now: KP's way forward in this league (on a GOOD team, not the Knicks) is at the 5. I'm interested in a center rotation that includes KP and Powell, if that's the way they want to go to start next season, but not a lineup that includes them playing together very much.

(09-03-2020, 10:55 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: In a perfect world Mavs somehow get a starter with the MLE and another one via trade; Wright, Brunson, Curry all candidates along with a pick.

OK, so here are some questions for you:

1) Do you want to bring back Trey Burke?

2) Do you want him to start?

Because literally, it's going to take about half of the MLE to sign that guy once THJ opts in, which he obviously will, and while I feel strongly that he could potentially provide something this team needs, I don't think he's a starter. If you're ok with waiving goodbye to Burke and going back to Brunson/Barea, then sure, I'd think getting a starter for the MLE is a reasonable expectation. 

As far as your trade idea is concerned, I don't think there's any question that they'll try to move Wright, but I doubt he'll be enough to fetch a starter in return, and I doubt they'll even think about moving Curry or Brunson, especially if Burke isn't back. Could be wrong, but they seem quite thrilled with those dudes.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-04-2020, 12:21 AM