Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-03-2020, 07:51 PM)cow Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 05:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: No need to hate on your own team, my man, which is the common thread of your two comments. In any event, as SH has said, the Mavs would have to piss off Luka royally, like few teams have ever pissed off one of their players, for his not being for the next five years (rookie contract + the first three years of his max extension which only the Mavs can give him) to be a thing. We can worry about his being here longterm at that point. But you are correct that the Mavs had damn well better figure out how to make a Dallas a destination - shouldn't be that hard, really, given the size of the city and market, the warm weather, the lack of state sales tax, and ****freaking Luka,**** so the Mavs not being a destination requires some profound soul searching by the MBT - or Luka may indeed seek greener pastures in five years. Or, they should just pivot to focusing on getting 100% of their core players in the draft and by trade, and never by free agency.

Stating facts isn't hating my team, my man. I want Luka to be a lifer, but if them to we build around him is an "also-ran", we should prepare ourselves that he'll leave for a team that can bring him titles. You might think we have plenty of time to accomplish that, but we've spent a lot in acquiring him and KP which limit the moves we can make going forward. The point is that we shouldn't expect Dirk-like patience or loyalty from him. The clock is ticking. The closest thing to a star that the MBT have landed in free agency is a slightly washed DAJ. We are we'll beyond the need to soul search.

Look at what you wrote. The subtext of it is essentially, "We as Mavs fans should prepare for Luka to leave because that's likely to happen." As for your last comment, are you saying that 1) Dallas as a city is just a place free agents don't want to come, or 2) the MBT is doing something to prevent the Mavs from being a destination?

Something has to be drastically wrong with your front office, coaching staff, something about your organization if you have whom I would assert is virtually impossible to argue as being other than the single player in the league that other players most want to play with - and the margin between him and whoever #2 is is likely to increase greatly between now and the summer of 2021 - and you can't look with hope to the 2021 offseason. I just want to know what you think that issue is.

KL, you said "DFS, Kleber, Powell, Curry, THJ, Burke and maybe even Brunson all look like rotation players on a contender to me, given enough experience and the right mix." I think that's probably the lynchpin of why opinion diverges from yours and why, yes, I would regard as quiet 2020 offseason as disastrous. I don't believe that Powell has a place in the rotation (top 8 players) of a contending playoff team. I strongly believed that before he was injured; now it's true in spades. THJ is paid like a #3 guy on a contending team, while topping out at #5. If he's your #3, you aren't winning. I agree that DFS, Maxi, Seth, Burke and Brunson are all candidates for the 8-man rotation of a contending team, *if* they are at the back half of that rotation. And yes, I'm taking into account the probabilities of improvement. All of those guys except for Brunson are old enough to have reached their ceiling.

I would argue that Luka and KP, no matter how good they get individually and in their chemistry, will never get past the second round without far better #3 and #4 supporting cast members.

I also believe that 2021 powder makes no sense. I find the insistence on not having a roster for FA's to come to nonsensical. Dump your bad contracts, sign good ones, and then you can have your cake today while easily trading pieces for cap room *if* it is necessary instead of having given everything away hoping it's necessary.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Scott41theMavs - 09-03-2020, 10:10 PM