Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
My guess is that they run it back with pretty much the same, exact team we saw this year, only hopefully a lot healthier. All signs point to keeping a path to 2021 cap space open, and for once, that's the right move. 

I'm ok with that, even in the short term, because I think they've proven that they're on the way up, and faster than expected. DFS, Kleber, Powell, Curry, THJ, Burke and maybe even Brunson all look like rotation players on a contender to me, given enough experience and the right mix. I'm not saying that I wouldn't move any of them, but I wouldn't be in a rush to do so just to appease the "do something" crowd. 

Unlike most, I expect WCS to opt in, and if so I might consider moving Powell sooner rather than later if it's my team. That would ensure that KP plays the 5, as there would be no expectation for WCS to start, and even if WCS is a massive disappointment compared to Powell, which is very possible, you still have Boban to pick up some slack. I doubt the Mavs will do that, however, because Powell seems to be extremely respected in the locker room and a vital part of their culture. 

I would definitely consider any opportunities that include THJ/Wright/Brunson/Curry going out in favor of more effective two-way wings, but again, I wouldn't pull the trigger on anything that jeopardizes 2021, which could be the best (maybe only) chance they have in the Luka Doncic era to affect significant and positive roster change. And, frankly, I'm not sure many players with names the fans recognize are really better than the Mavs' players mentioned in some of these trade ideas. 

I would also not be shocked if Barea and even Courtney Lee were brought back, given how respected they seem to be by the team and how often they're given credit for veteran mentorship. They have great relationships with Luka and KP, after all. 

Basically, if you're a "do something" type, I think there's a significant chance you'll be pulling your hair out this off season, much like you were last season, but here's the good news: at every check point since drafting Luka and embarking on an actual plan, this team has proven that they are far, far ahead of schedule, progressing much faster than what could reasonably be expected. And why not? They have a transcendent, young player who inspires belief from his teammates and one of the very best coaches in all of pro sports. 

Nobody has been more critical of the way this team has operated since the title than me, but I honestly believe that they're in a great spot right now, and that everything will work out just fine. I think they'll be in the title contender conversation before Luka's rookie deal is up, and that's something that almost never happens. Like, for any team.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by KillerLeft - 09-03-2020, 08:20 PM