Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-03-2020, 11:04 AM)cow Wrote: Griffin and Love are too old, too expensive and too injury prone.  Hield should join the "always kills the Mavericks all-stars" along with Julius Randle.  I think Jrue is a touch overrated and ticks the too old and too expensive boxes, but of those names I guess he'd be my preference. 

I'm not sure Giannis has it in him to leave the Bucks but I wonder what getting bounced by the heat will do to his thinking process.  And even if he decides to leave, he's not gong to Dallas.  No one ever comes here.  I know it's different with Luka and maybe KP (his legs could as easily scare people off), but I'll believe it when I see it.

I'd still keep my eye on the  teams that have potential to blow-it up:  Houston (does Harden finally ask to be traded and what are the ripple effects), Philly, Portland, Indiana(?), Orlando (?)

So the thing is, getting your hands on a younger stud FA is tough bc a lot of guys don't hit FA until they're old. Best case scenario most of the time is you get a guy in FA towards the end of their 20s. A lot of the younger guys available have less upside, else they would have been locked up already.

Trades are always a possibility, I still like Aaron Gordon as probably my favorite trade idea. But looking at the teams you listed most of the guys those teams would be dumping are older guys on big deals. That's just how it goes. Years on contracts matter a lot more than dollars. A guy on a 2 year contract is "cheaper" than a guy half the price on a 4 year contract in that you are locked into guaranteed dollars. So I don't care if someone is making 30+ for 2 years bc in 1 yr they are expiring and in 2 yrs they are completely off the books. I care ab talent.

Some of these ideas out there are dumb. The Bulls are going to trade us Lauri Markkanen? Why would they do that? Teams are not going to trade us young lotto talent on rookie deals without a GREAT return. The ideas I have been throwing out there are mostly THJ + salary filler and maybe picks (in a very weak draft) to get someone in here who is more of a real 3rd option than THJ who is good, not amazing and not a real 3rd option on a contending team.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-03-2020, 12:40 PM