Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-02-2020, 03:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 03:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: By far the most important thing for the Mavs to learn from the 2019 offseason - if you want a top FA to sign with you, then you tamper, absolute end of story, because otherwise he'll be off the board at 12:01 am EST.

This and I would add that you reach an agreement with the top FA before you clear capspace. That´s what Miami did last summer. That´s what GS did when they signed Durant. Capspace alone isn´t doing anything and the last few free agencies showed us that teams can always create a max slot if they need to.

This is the thing. Being out on Plan Powder and choosing to sit out 2021 free agency are two radically different choices. The only way the Mavs put themselves out of 2021 free agency and a shot at Giannis is if they take on or sign albatross (or even binarily overpaid) contracts. They can improve the team in 2020 while trading for and signing appropriately paid players, hopefully while clearing away one or two of the overpays we currently have, and still be bigtime players in 2021 even if they're technically over the cap.

The MBT would have to be dumber than a box of rocks not to see that.

(09-02-2020, 04:21 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 03:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 03:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: By far the most important thing for the Mavs to learn from the 2019 offseason - if you want a top FA to sign with you, then you tamper, absolute end of story, because otherwise he'll be off the board at 12:01 am EST.

This and I would add that you reach an agreement with the top FA before you clear capspace. That´s what Miami did last summer. That´s what GS did when they signed Durant. Capspace alone isn´t doing anything and the last few free agencies showed us that teams can always create a max slot if they need to.

FA is after draft night. Mavs won't have any picks when FA starts. Honestly I think 50/50 Wright gets traded draft night, with or without a pick. If not draft night then in the summer. I think his value is super low. Not horrible but what you are getting back is probably a player on a 1 yr deal which is their version of a player they don't want.

If they were insistent on that course of action, they would still be stupid not to have the expirer be someone who can help the Mavs in the meantime.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Scott41theMavs - 09-02-2020, 04:23 PM