Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(09-02-2020, 08:58 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Buddy Hield and Burke are apples and oranges. The real comparison is Hield v THJ. I am seeing inconsistent reports on Hield's defensive ability, can someone who has watched him report on his defense?

The big thing I keep hearing and reading is that Mavs aren't going to spend 2021 money. So I don't see how Mavs could carve out a max slot in 2021 with 23 mil of Hield on the books even if Wright is outgoing. So for that reason I don't see it happening. I don't think Mavs are going to do this type of trade even if it is good asset management on paper.

The only reason Hield and Burke were mentioned together is that Hield is a new name for Cato to mention and his wording around Burke is similar to what has been written here.  Thus the line about Tim reading the board.

The conversations this summer need to bear in mind there are two distinct and probably competing paths for Dallas to take.  I’ve defined these as Plan Powder and Plan Go For It Now.  I guess you could argue there is a Plan “Have it Both Ways”.  I think that is more improbable than the other two.  

It is probably important to recognize that both are in play (no matter what this or that media member says...especially in September and especially while the cap...and CBA...are unresolved).  Heck, the team might not even know which path they will take.  Much depends on the opportunities that arise.  If I were them, I’d pursue substantial bird in hand (Go for it Now) type deals.  If none materialize, move to something else.  I personally don’t think Plan Powder should be the default.  The goal is to be a contender in 21/22/23.  You don’t make a bad deal in 20/21 just to make a deal and you don’t pass up great opportunities in 20/21 on the hope that Giannis will come in 21.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 09-02-2020, 10:34 AM