Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Buddy Hield and Burke are apples and oranges. The real comparison is Hield v THJ. I am seeing inconsistent reports on Hield's defensive ability, can someone who has watched him report on his defense?

The big thing I keep hearing and reading is that Mavs aren't going to spend 2021 money. So I don't see how Mavs could carve out a max slot in 2021 with 23 mil of Hield on the books even if Wright is outgoing. So for that reason I don't see it happening. Even if by some miracle Powell was shipped off someone (which I am 99% sure won't happen) in addition to Wright that would still add a couple more mil to the 2021 cap which could be lower than originally expected. I don't think Mavs are going to do this type of trade even if it is good asset management on paper.

In my view you could upgrade THJ to Hield and still probably be able to move a 29 yr old Hield in 2021 should you find a bigger fish but the MBT doesn't think that way. They operate super conservatively when it comes to clearing future cap space.

(09-02-2020, 03:35 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 06:57 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 04:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 04:22 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Since we were discussing Fish in the MVP thread

The usual. Some guy on TV/radio with no inside information says something. Fishs makes a story out of it. Ends it with the usual the chance isn´t zero. We don´t know what Giannis thinks.

The more interesting question. Giannis signs his supermax deal this offseason. Who else could the Mavs target with max capspace?

I hope he signs the supermax this offseason so we can put that pipedream to bed. He absolutely should as its a ton of money and the Bucks are a perennial contender. As much as I'd like him on the Mavs the odds are basically zero or close to it. When a top superstar leaves, it's not for Dallas. Miami would be probably the leader in the Giannis sweepstakes but Donnie and Cubes would talk Fish into thinking he's 80% committed to Dallas. It would just be a waste of everyone's time.

(09-01-2020, 04:22 PM)Hypermav Wrote: https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/gi...ba-analyst

Since we were discussing Fish in the MVP thread Smile

Classic Fish article we have fallen for now for a decade straight. I know we have Luka and KP now so it's "different" in a sense but I am not buying it. I will believe it when I see it.

If Giannis leaves, I think we will be favorites by some margin.
He will be almost lock to get Lebron number of rings here, that can't be said about anywhere else.
I think he is 80%  staying, so even then it isn't a big chance.

Miami has like no cap commitments in 2021 besides Butler and some of their young players. I think they will be the biggest destination for any FA looking for a new home. I also think it will be moot bc I believe Giannis is signing that supermax this offseason.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 09-02-2020, 08:58 AM