Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Good question I think any team that has an expiring contract that would work in salary matching is a candidate. Especially teams with an expiring contract attached to a player of marginal value. In that situation they are getting a potential contributor on a reasonable 2-yr deal for a player that does nothing for them. Even if Wright doesn't work out for that team he converts to an expiring contract that next year so it's pretty low risk, provided that team doesn't also need to carve out 2021 space.

Looking at https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/ for players with salaries just north or south of Wrights':
  • Danny Green is definitely an option in a 3 way that would send Jackson, Wright out for DG, depending on how he fares these playoffs.
  • NYK has a bunch of team options on guys that I guess could be used in a trade situation but I imagine most of those team options will simply not be exercised
  • Frank N is expiring, I would love a Frank for Wright swap. Frank's D is legit and Rick would figure out how to make him useful on offense.
  • A Mo Harkless S&T would be interesting. Do you have a minimum number of years you have to commit to in a S&T?
  • Tony Snell from Detroit is a good 3D role player.
  • Dante Exum from Cleveland. He is injured a lot and has an expiring contract of the same value as Wright.
  • Remember several teams will have cap space where they could absorb Wright's deal, especially if they were incentivized with a pick or trade-down.

Also have we talked about Bobby Portis? Another guy on the knicks with a team option.

This article seems to think he won't be back: https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/...bby-portis

I think Portis on a 1 yr 15 mil deal is pretty valuable. Salary matching would be more difficult in that scenario. Knicks will probably do something Knicks-ish like max out Fred VanFleet or something so they will probably let all their options go. If Mavs sent them Jackson + Wright that would be eating into their cap space so you would definitely be sending at least that first round pick to make them do it.

An idea I like would be a Ibaka for Wright S&T. Wright played really well for the Raptors. They have Ibaka's bird rights so you can sign him for any number he would agree to (which would be much less than he makes now). I don't know if you have to do multiple years in a S&T (I think you do) so if you have to do 3 years or something you can just offer him a deal that salary matches Wright and preserves 2021 cap space. Ibaka to me would be a good fit next to KP in the frontcourt.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by StepBackJay - 08-31-2020, 11:15 AM