Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(08-31-2020, 09:41 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: @"DanSchwartzman" I love this Wright for Thad Young idea. I think the Bulls would probably do that? Young still has 6 mil guaranteed in that last year which is probably as much as the Mavs would want on the books in 2021.

I do NOT think the Mavs will spend the MLE unless they completely dump Wright's money and even then Wright was not actually an MLE, he was signed with bird rights. His deal also had decreasing salary each year. I am pretty sure you don't have to spend all of 10 mil of the MLE on a player but I think the min years is 3 (can someone verify)?

All that to say I am skeptical that the MLE will be in play at all. You have at a minimum these chips to play with:

1. THJ's expiring (altho I don't believe he is moved unless its a slam dunk upgrade)
2. Jackson's expiring might be the most underrated chip this year
3. #18 and #31 to attach to any deal
4. Wright who 99% will get moved this year
5. rMLE which probably gets used on a decent vet
6. MLE which is not guaranteed to be used unless Mavs can still keep a max slot open in 2021.

I could definitely see Wright and Jackson moved along with at least 1 pick. You could pick up 3 vets of varying quality using rMLE, Wright & Jackson. Depending on confidence in 2021 cap clearing the Mavs might just use some of the MLE on a budget 3 year contract that's above the vet min and doesn't cut too much into 2021. That would get you a 4th non-vet min player.

(08-31-2020, 08:56 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 08:17 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Just because you post such an idea (say a Plan Powder idea), doesn't mean you can't see the beauty of Go For It Now ideas.  Strategically, the question is probably what idea gives us the best starting lineup for the three years after the 2021 season begins.

I guess there are a million possible ideas that would make us better. The question is, which one is actually available. Certainly a question, that is above us to know the answer. I think it would be more useful to rank ideas. 

For me personally, for example, my number one idea would be a trade for Richardson (three team with Detroit sending Wright and a pick to Detroit and Kennard/Rose to Philly) and sign someone like Grant or Milsap for MLE. 

Close second is a trade of Wright for T.Young and sign Dunn or Jones Jr for MLE. 

If both of those fail, I have a number of other ideas Smile

I am pretty sure Wright for T Young and MLE are mutually exclusive given Young's 6 mil guarantee. 

Don't be shocked if Mavs do a trade down or even give up a pick to trade Wright into cap space for some team that is under the cap.

I really would be shocked, if the Mavs would waste any asset this year to waste any contract.

I can see it the other way around, if.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Mapka - 08-31-2020, 10:19 AM