Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
(08-31-2020, 03:24 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Whatever amount of the MLE is used, it will probably be used on a one year deal.  So, don't count on any star power.  More likely an over payment to entice someone to agree to a one year guarantee.  

Doesn't sound too exciting.  A pick, a Wright trade for a useful, but expiring player and a MLE rental.  But, that is the world we will live in if Marks is right about hanging onto 2021 cap space.  BTW, the pick might be a stash.  Recall a Wright for Thaddeus Young deal left us a little shy of the full Giannis max.  A two year stash would solve that.

So, my prediction if we take the Plan Powder path (not advocating, just observing a potential reality) is Trade Wright for T Young and sign RHJ using part of the MLE with only one year guaranteed.  That adds two vets with defensive credentials and we now have THJ, Jackson and RHJ expiring and Young with only $6mm guaranteed. 

In the draft, they pick a European at 18 and don't bring him over until 22 (probably Pokusevski, Maledon or Bolmaro).  I don't think we would use a pick in the Chicago deal, meaning we still have #31.  It will be an upperclassman.  If Young, RHJ and THJ are temps, then #31 would logically slot in to replace one of them down the road.  I think Lee returns.

(08-31-2020, 06:38 AM)omahen Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 06:23 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Dallas's is much more likely to give a high second extra years and eat up part of the MLE.

I don't understand this part. Why not a vet min contract, why does it have to be part of MLE?

Below is the quote from Marks.  Last season Curry got $7.461mm of the MLE and Roby got $1.5mm

"If the 2019 draft is an indicator, a portion (up to $1.5 million) of the Mavericks' midlevel exception will be used to sign their second-round pick. The exception will be needed if the Mavericks offer a contract that is more than two seasons. Last year, 16 of the 18 players selected in Round 2 signed for at least three seasons.

Because there is a priority on cap space for 2021, what remains of the midlevel ($7-8 million) will likely be used to sign a player or two to a one-year contract (such as Trey Burke) or in the buyout market after the 2021 trade deadline."
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by DanSchwartzgan - 08-31-2020, 07:06 AM