Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
DAL OFFSEASON: Trade & FA | Mavs "mostly done...but you never know."
Once again, with different numbering, my take on the Mavs' offseason needs (approaching it as if they only had one year to set the ship right for the next three, which of course isn't the case):

Player1: A combo guard with solid PG skills who can create his own shot, quarterback the team with Luka off the floor, is a deadeye shooter in catch-and-shoot, and can defend point guards. Essentially, Jrue or CP, but their teams aren't likely to let them go.

Player2: A very high level 3 and D wing with better length and wingspan than DFS. I know everyone wants this player to be able to create his own shot. That's nuts. Kawhi, PG, and Lebron aren't coming here. 

Player3: A very good floor-stretching rebounding and defensive big man who backs up KP, but can also step in when KP is injured so that zero near future Luka playoffs are Mavs forfeits. 

Player4: A traditional bruiser-type PF, bench-level.

Player5: A very good 3 and D wing to bring off the bench.

I've seen a lot of people who seem to dislike the idea of Favors. I think Favors covers 3 & 4. 

So essentially:
Luka/Brunson or Burke
Player1/Curry
DFS/Player 5
Player2/Player4 
KP/Player3/Bobi

If you get Favors as the 3-4, then:
Luka/Brunson or Burke
Player1/Curry
Player2/DFS
Favors/Maxi
KP/Favors/Bobi 
...with DFS or Maxi stepping in at the four if KP goes down. 

Given the extremely high premium and direly low availability of the Player2 skillset, I believe that the best way for the Mavs to address that one is the draft. I would target who you think that guy is, and try to buy your way up to where he is sure to be available if you don't think he's going to be on the board at 18. In any event, the roster I laid out makes THJ, Wright, Powell, and most of the rest of our players available as trade "assets" to try to get those players.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OFFSEASON: Mavs Trade & Free Agency (Oct 18?) + Salary Chart - by Scott41theMavs - 08-30-2020, 06:39 PM