Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Jae Crowder to PHX | 3yrs, $30M | DAL offered more $$$
(12-01-2020, 07:55 PM)Hypermav Wrote: If Crowder doesn't want to be here, I could care less.  JAG.

The audio part is on reddit. Either its Gambo (who did the great scouting report on Luka: "immature locker room cancer") or the other dude. He puts Dallas in his mouth a bit tbh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mavericks/comme...ng_why_he/

Spoke highly of Rick tho. Surprising. Making it sound like we didn't promise him a starting spot?
Like Reply
(12-01-2020, 08:03 PM)sefant Wrote: Gambo (who did the great scouting report on Luka: "immature locker room cancer")
I guess I missed that, he said what about Luka?  The kid that smiles all the time?
Like Reply
(12-01-2020, 08:03 PM)sefant Wrote: Either its Gambo (who did the great scouting report on Luka: "immature locker room cancer") or the other dude. He puts Dallas in his mouth a bit tbh.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
He got a scouting report from a not named talent evaluator and included the report in his article pre draft.

Quote:I want to share a scouting report on Doncic that I received a few weeks ago. Maybe it will help you make up your mind, maybe it won’t, but trust me — this is from someone who has seen him play numerous times in person.

Luka Doncic scouting report

— Dominated at age 18
— Has done things in Europe that no one has done before at his age
— European league not as good as it used to be – competition is weaker. Only about 8-10 good teams now
— Might have reached his peak
— Could struggle in more physical NBA
— Non-athletic
— Talent through the roof
— Tremendously skilled – can shoot, dribble, pass
— Very immature
— Not mentally or emotionally prepared to play in NBA right now
— Entitled
— Full of himself
— Not liked by teammates
— Is not a point guard at next level … is a wing playmaker who can play the 2-3 but can at times guard 4 different positions
— Should absolutely be in consideration for No. 1 pick because of his overall talent

Big Grin
Like Reply
Luka didn't get a drug suspension like the overall 1st pick did.  Thanks for posting that, big wiff on his part.
Like Reply
Well he ain´t wrong. If Giannis agrees to sign with us, we´ll most likely trade him. That´s the reason he turned down the Miami offer. Chances of being traded from Phoenix are much lower. Their teams feels pretty set for the foreseeable future. They got all the pieces in place.
Like Reply
(12-01-2020, 07:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 06:57 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The point is having room for Giannis may have been more by accident than design.  Maybe Dallas feels it is close with what it has and one more guy (a four that pushes DFS/Powell to the bench) and we are good.

I have never thought it was "Giannis or bust" so I agree with the spirit of what you're suggesting. 

I DON'T think Gallo, RoCo or Crowder are guys who would make them think "we are good" but I can see them all in the similar light of "we think these guys are worth a certain amount of money and the trouble of working around that amount." 

But call me crazy...I like the way it turned out better.

Upon further review (with the benefit of additional information), I was probably right about this being a potential expansion of the Johnson deal where Dallas gets Crowder and Johnson goes back to Miami.  It also appears this was a large one year offer, not multi-year.

It does appear Dallas has a type (large wing/mobile big) and for some they are willing to go multi-year (Gallo and RoCo) and some they are not (Crowder).  Johnson is a better fallback than Ariza given our needs and is also better than giving a multi-year to the wrong guy.  If you go back to the Rankings done by The Athletic, Gallo and RoCo were in tier 4a.  Crowder is in Tier 5 along with Curry, Maxi and THJ.
Like Reply
(12-01-2020, 11:21 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: It does appear Dallas has a type (large wing/mobile big) and for some they are willing to go multi-year (Gallo and RoCo) and some they are not (Crowder).

To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong and simply missed it), I've seen no evidence that Dallas offered Gallo a (guaranteed) multi-year deal. I got the impression that was the ultimate hangup both at the last trade deadline and also in free agency.

RoCo is obviously a multi-year guy, though. Assuming that rumor is true, I imagine Dallas saw him as easily tradable if necessary. 

Basically, I'm not so sure that the main plan all along wasn't to preserve cap flexibility for next summer and get a good player for a year if possible. HIBW. But I do agree that they have a type when it comes to large wings and mobile bigs these days. I'll also add that they clearly have a thing for small playmakers.
Like Reply
(12-01-2020, 11:21 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 07:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 06:57 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The point is having room for Giannis may have been more by accident than design.  Maybe Dallas feels it is close with what it has and one more guy (a four that pushes DFS/Powell to the bench) and we are good.

I have never thought it was "Giannis or bust" so I agree with the spirit of what you're suggesting. 

I DON'T think Gallo, RoCo or Crowder are guys who would make them think "we are good" but I can see them all in the similar light of "we think these guys are worth a certain amount of money and the trouble of working around that amount." 

But call me crazy...I like the way it turned out better.

Upon further review (with the benefit of additional information), I was probably right about this being a potential expansion of the Johnson deal where Dallas gets Crowder and Johnson goes back to Miami.  It also appears this was a large one year offer, not multi-year.

It does appear Dallas has a type (large wing/mobile big) and for some they are willing to go multi-year (Gallo and RoCo) and some they are not (Crowder).  Johnson is a better fallback than Ariza given our needs and is also better than giving a multi-year to the wrong guy.  If you go back to the Rankings done by The Athletic, Gallo and RoCo were in tier 4a.  Crowder is in Tier 5 along with Curry, Maxi and THJ.
you were not right at all

quit being a fish disciple. he has no idea whats going on and neither do you
were going to sign Christian wood  were going to start powell , none of that shit is happening
Like Reply
Huge pass on Crowder. Can´t even believe this is a story. This guy killed Miami with his inconsistent shooting in the finals. He will never be a good shooter and I much prefer taking a flyer on guys like Iwundu or Green and giving them playing time. Crowder is a good and switchable defender. That´s about it. Neither Miami nor Dallas were prepared to pay  him longterm, so of course Dallas had to offer more money, if they wanted him on a 1+1 (team option) deal.
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 12:17 AM)Tyler Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 11:21 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: It does appear Dallas has a type (large wing/mobile big) and for some they are willing to go multi-year (Gallo and RoCo) and some they are not (Crowder).

To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong and simply missed it), I've seen no evidence that Dallas offered Gallo a (guaranteed) multi-year deal. I got the impression that was the ultimate hangup both at the last trade deadline and also in free agency.

RoCo is obviously a multi-year guy, though.  

It is just a deduction on my part.  There was a ton of reporting from multiple sauces who quoted team officials (not just regurgitating speculation on another site) that he was a target.  Dallas pretty clearly had the ability to S&T for someone making up to $19mm with the players who actually left.  If they had intention of being "in" on someone who got $61.5mm, they had to know it would take multiple years.  There was no point picking up the phone otherwise.  BTW, Gallinari's starting salary with Dallas could have been up to $19,147,000.  What did he get in Atlanta?  $19,500,000.

jesusshuttlesworth82
(12-01-2020, 11:21 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Upon further review (with the benefit of additional information), I was probably right about this being a potential expansion of the Johnson deal where Dallas gets Crowder and Johnson goes back to Miami.  It also appears this was a large one year offer, not multi-year.

you were not right at all

quit being a fish disciple. he has no idea whats going on and neither do you
were going to sign Christian wood  were going to start powell , none of that shit is happening
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does Fish still write about basketball?

We have it straight from the horses mouth that Dallas made an effort on Crowder and that it was for more than the full MLE that he got from Phoenix.  If you have another theory on how that could have possibly happened, please share it.
Like Reply
(12-01-2020, 11:21 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Upon further review (with the benefit of additional information), I was probably right about this being a potential expansion of the Johnson deal where Dallas gets Crowder and Johnson goes back to Miami.  It also appears this was a large one year offer, not multi-year.

I think you're right about the Johnson to Miami, Crowder to Dallas angle here. I'm not sure I buy that he'd even consider a one-year offer from Dallas, though. Seems like if there was any chance of him taking a one-year offer, Miami's would have been preferable. I'm guessing Dallas was offering a multi-year deal, just like they must have been for Gallo. 

Speaking of Gallo, I think their link to HIM supports your theory here, too. The teams involved in the deal that actually happened (OKC, DET) probably go a long way towards helping us understand why the Mavs were linked to some of the names we kept hearing: Gallo and Wood seem like they would definitely have been early attempts at targets in that same deal. I think you're right about the Johnson/Miami angle, so it seems like Johsnon was at least Dallas' 4th choice, maybe even lower. 

I know he's probably the worst player of that group, but idk...I'm just really excited about how this turned out. I like what they did a lot.
Like Reply
I'll take Johnson over Gallo for this team. Like sure Gallinari is obviously the better player but we aren't hurting for good shooters. What we were missing was an enforcer.
Like Reply
(12-02-2020, 09:02 AM)Branduil Wrote: I'll take Johnson over Gallo for this team. Like sure Gallinari is obviously the better player but we aren't hurting for good shooters. What we were missing was an enforcer.

AND, Gallo looked DONE to me in the bubble. Maybe it was just the abnormal nature and timing of the bubble, but I'm glad the Mavs didn't pay a multi-year deal to find out.
Like Reply