Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dammit....
...we're going to have to clear cap space to re-sign our third-best player this offseason (banghead smiley).
Like Reply
Burke?
Like Reply
(08-23-2020, 08:15 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Burke?

Of course.
Like Reply
MLE Money has a taker.
Like Reply
It's tough because you would think Brunson and him are sort of redundant. That being said Rick can never have enough guards and has no issue playing 2 PGs together in his backcourt.

You do have to wonder if this is some kind of aberration. Trey Burke played well in his run to the NCAA championship but then has bounced around. His career stats don't look bad really. He hasn't gotten much playoff run before this year and didn't do anything in his limited time during a Washington playoff stint.

Is he going to be this good next playoffs if/when he isn't fighting to extend his career? He knows that he was on the edge of even being an NBA player. So he is playing for his livelihood right now.

Another thing I wonder is who's game gets affected positively bc of the bubble vs negatively. I think some guys play great in the bubble bc there is no crowd distraction. Other guys feed off the crowd energy. So what happens if a bubble all-star plays in front a crowd and doesn't play nearly as well? At any rate clearly the Mavs are going to try to keep Trey Burke. Mavs need wings but they also need baller guards in Rick's system.

You have to think Burke has at least earned rMLE money which would be ab 5x2. As good as he's been its hard to picture him getting MLE level knowing that he is a backup PG and isn't like a premier backup PG in the league.

I guess you could argue Tyus Jones got MLE money and Delon Wright got close to that and George Hill got MLE money. So an upper tier backup can get that money altho Wright for example was in the mix for starting.

If he gets above that 5 mil range, which is definitely possible it could be tough to keep him. There aren't a ton of FA backup PGs that would be above him. Maybe Jordan Clarkson and Goran Dragic? So ya he could be tough to keep.
Like Reply
I want to keep him. Unloading Wright on somebody would make MLE more palatable. Burke + Wright + healthy Brunson = too many small backup PGs.
Like Reply
His (Burke) skills fit perfectly next to Luka. He brings some speed and acceleration that nobody else in the starting lineup can do in the same way. And this is important since the space is so large when this player receives the ball from Luka, from the vast space that Lukas attention creates. On other hand, contrary to the DSJ he is so much more polished and smarter to use that space, and he accelerates way faster. Burke really fits well next to Luka. Defensively one can say some things, but on offense, its a deadly great fit, throw in THJ and KP and Curry, and you got yourself an unstoppable offensive force that will keep outscoring the opponent in most cases.
Like Reply
His shooting percentages over his career seem good enough to complement Luka, so as of right now, I would prefer him over Brunson. Brunson is the better playmaker in a sense of a classical PG so he could run a second unit with Luka off the floor, still Burke will have his role, maybe starting even. But it could be a money-problem, since we want to keep THJ and Seth for obvious reasons. Maybe we can sell THJ high, because on the surface, he looks like a legit starter right now (but I assume his production will deteriorate if he plays in a new system other than Carlisles).

Out of Luka (duh), Seth, Burke, Brunson, THJ I would see Hardaway as most expendable - given we could sign each at current market value. It's tough though, our guards are carrying our offense with luka off the floor.
Like Reply
^
I think THJ and #18 might bring back a pretty good player. He’s had a pretty good season and playoff showing to this point. I wanted him to play well to increase his value for trade. I think he’s pretty much done enough to do that. To me he’s shown to be roughly on par with his contract for a team needing more offense than defense.
Like Reply
Agreed. What's our biggest need? A mobile big or a two-way-wing? DFS and MKG are good defenders but it's hard to keep them on the floor due to lack of offense.
Like Reply
For the Brunson vs Burke crowd they are not mutually exclusive. You think Rick wouldn't want both? This is the king of the 3 guard lineup after all.

I think THJ 's play is likely going to keep him on this team absent a major blockbuster.  Mavs tend to fall on love with their own guys and he is a good fit on this team. I suspect they would rather add to than subtract. 

Gordon is still my favorite target. I would be willing to give up a DFS or Maxi even in a package for him. If Mavs keep THJ then the biggest need is going to be a big wing. They don't have to spend a lot to get one necessarily but Gordon is a good option if they want someone with star potential.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 08:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: For the Brunson vs Burke crowd they are not mutually exclusive. You think Rick wouldn't want both? This is the king of the 3 guard lineup after all.

I think THJ 's play is likely going to keep him on this team absent a major blockbuster.  Mavs tend to fall on love with their own guys and he is a good fit on this team. I suspect they would rather add to than subtract. 

Gordon is still my favorite target. I would be willing to give up a DFS or Maxi even in a package for him. If Mavs keep THJ then the biggest need is going to be a big wing. They don't have to spend a lot to get one necessarily but Gordon is a good option if they want someone with star potential.

With the way Dallas have impressed, and Luka can attract big names. Cant we afford and want a bigger name/ better player than Gordon? We might be in situation to attract another top notch player in the category of Luka and KP? Then we are talking multiple chanpionships, given that rest of squad also complements well.
Like Reply
I think we can attract a bigger name than Gordon but then you have to wait until 2021 for that chance. There aren't really any big FAs this summer and Mavs won't have a max slot until 2021. I would be trying to get a Jrue Holiday or Victor Oladipo type star this year rather than waiting in 2021. Giannis is the only clear superstar available and it seems goofy to me to try for Giannis. You would have to compete with the Bucks, Heat and probably many other teams. 

I like Gordon's fit on this team. Holiday and Oladipo are great but I wonder if they would have enough of an impact over THJ (who would need to be outgoing if you traded for one of those guys). Gordon's defense and athleticism would fit great on this team. I don't know if Mavs have what Orlando wants but if we could figure something out I'd be interested.

Otherwise I am not even sure there is a star or pseudo star out there that we need. It might just be a situation where the Mavs need to load up on talent, particularly 2 way wings and call it a day.

(08-23-2020, 11:29 PM)embellisher Wrote: I want to keep him. Unloading Wright on somebody would make MLE more palatable. Burke + Wright + healthy Brunson = too many small backup PGs.

I am 95% sure Wright is going to get unloaded. He just makes no sense on this team and Mavs have multiple ways of dumping his deal this summer that they won't have next summer (ie trading for someone on a 1 yr deal and/or attaching a pick if needed).
Like Reply
What an awesome problem to have!
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 09:53 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think we can attract a bigger name than Gordon but then you have to wait until 2021 for that chance. There aren't really any big FAs this summer and Mavs won't have a max slot until 2021. I would be trying to get a Jrue Holiday or Victor Oladipo type star this year rather than waiting in 2021. Giannis is the only clear superstar available and it seems goofy to me to try for Giannis. You would have to compete with the Bucks, Heat and probably many other teams. 

I like Gordon's fit on this team. Holiday and Oladipo are great but I wonder if they would have enough of an impact over THJ (who would need to be outgoing if you traded for one of those guys). Gordon's defense and athleticism would fit great on this team. I don't know if Mavs have what Orlando wants but if we could figure something out I'd be interested.

Otherwise I am not even sure there is a star or pseudo star out there that we need. It might just be a situation where the Mavs need to load up on talent, particularly 2 way wings and call it a day.

(08-23-2020, 11:29 PM)embellisher Wrote: I want to keep him. Unloading Wright on somebody would make MLE more palatable. Burke + Wright + healthy Brunson = too many small backup PGs.

I am 95% sure Wright is going to get unloaded. He just makes no sense on this team and Mavs have multiple ways of dumping his deal this summer that they won't have next summer (ie trading for someone on a 1 yr deal and/or attaching a pick if needed).

Giannis would be available this coming offseason? Well looking from it from the prospective point, Its hard for me to think any better situation to get multiple rings than Dallas. Dallas beats probably every other team. You get a team with Luka, KP and Giannis and its game over for everyone else. I do not think it is improbable that Giannis would want to be here. But is it possible from contract stand point this offseason? This is an area I have no insight in.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 04:19 AM)burekemde Wrote: His (Burke) skills fit perfectly next to Luka. He brings some speed and acceleration that nobody else in the starting lineup can do in the same way. And this is important since the space is so large when this player receives the ball from Luka, from the vast space that Lukas attention creates. On other hand, contrary to the DSJ he is so much more polished and smarter to use that space, and he accelerates way faster. Burke really fits well next to Luka. Defensively one can say some things, but on offense, its a deadly great fit, throw in THJ and KP and Curry, and you got yourself an unstoppable offensive force that will keep outscoring the opponent in most cases.
Meh, if Kira Lewis falls to 18, he can do all that, plus play defense, with more upside and cheaper. Not interested in going out of my way to clear space for a backup. You would think the Mavs have learned not to overvalue high level production over tiny sample sizes, because this team has stupidly done it a few times before. Going all the way back to Marquis Daniels. I hate the way this team has disrespected the draft for so many years (and also drafted terribly when they haven't). We are always old as hell. Even now, we are only considered a young team because of Luka and KP. The majority of our guys are in their late 20's or older. Our window isn't tiny like it was during Dirks 30's, yet we constantly seem to be in that mindset.
Like Reply
I honestly doubt that MKG and Burke will get much more than the minimum. I´d be willing to walk away from anything above the minimum for MKG and $3M for Burke. We´ll have to make some moves to free roster spots anyway.

Doncic/Brunson/Wright
THJ/Curry/18th pick
DFS/Jackson/ 31 st pick
Kleber/Powell/X
Porzingis/Boban/WCS

So right now we only have one roster spot available for Burke, MKG, Lee and a MLE signing.

So this can go two ways: Wright/Jackson for one player, or bye-bye draft picks. We all know what´s more likely.
Like Reply
I think the price of Burke is going way up, at least to rMLE level. There aren't that many good backup PGs available and so if you need one he is a good option. The Sixers I am sure would love to have him back. We have seen backup PGs get MLE money. It's hard to picture what his market value is but I think it's gone way up now that he's upped his game in the playoffs. I really think rMLE is the floor for his value.
Like Reply
(08-24-2020, 08:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: If Mavs keep THJ then the biggest need is going to be a new front office.

FIFY
Like Reply
What's wrong with THJ? He is balling. I am open to trading him but tell me what I am getting first. Am I getting Victor Oladipo? Okay I am listening. One thing to think ab is that this team is gelling and playing for each other. Honestly I think you could add defense to this mix and run it back without needing to subtract THJ. We saw what team chemistry did for the 2011 Mavs. I am good if the Mavericks don't shuffle half the roster every offseason, including starters. Maybe we need to shore up defense and not risk breaking what's working?
Like Reply