Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Me being back and a few thoughts
Dear fellow MFFLs,

the past year or so was rough on all of us, for several reasons obviously, regarding basketball and even more so our lives in general. I tried to stick to this community but I almost lost touch completely.

To be honest, if it wasn't for Luka and, moreover, him instantly making us fun to watch but, more importantly, absolutely relevant again (hopefully for years to come) - I might as well be out of this community for good. Real life has caught up wit me, working a real job, moving in together with my girl, trying now, at 30, to figure out life in its entirety and, on a sidenote, questioning many things (besides my GF and my values) almost everything, especially my job (consultant in marketing, for anyone who's curious) and, as always, I now feel what's so wonderful about sports in general and basketball, meaning the Mavs, specifically, again: It takes our mind of things, gives us stuff to talk about, be amazed about, be mad and glad about.

A couple of days ago I was sitting in beautiful Venice, Italy, with my wonderful girlfriend, midday, drinking a bottle of Lugana (great italien white vine), by meself, obviously, since my girlfriend had campari or whatever girls drink, watching the first game of this highliy anticipated series. I was watching on my phone, sacrificing my precious mobile data, since the cafe didn't offer any wifi, with my league pass, obviously restricted towards the Mavs since who cares about the rest of this league and what happens after we're eliminated, right, and I was furious. The refs screwed us over, the game turned after Kristaps ejection which was, leven the ESPN commentators mentioned it, utter BS.

But somehow, it even was fun. I missed this. I mean I watched the whole season before the lockdown but didn't come around to post here anymore for the reasons I alluded to. But the reason I come back now is that I realized, I still needed to give this community something back, that it really is something that I don't question about life at all, the Mavs and Dirk meant the world to be (like my tiny 41-tattoo on my ankle suggests (my only one, btw)). Maybe this sounds like hyperbole but at least for me, it's not.

Major changes might be coming up for me in the next months and I don't know where I'll end up but I am sure the Mavs will keep playing a role in my life and I hope I can come around to post here, at least somewhat regularly. I am really happy you guys kept this place and comunity alive (is db.com dead yeat? I haven't checked) and I will try to support this place in order to save it for future generations.

The infamous TMOGE once said to me "if you're still around once Dirk retires, I will be impressed, but I know you probably won't". That has stuck with me and I am trying to prove him wrong - just like Dirk did.

TLDR; I am back - if you still know me, great, if not, I am trying to get acquinted.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 12:38 PM)meistermatze Wrote: Dear fellow MFFLs,

the past year or so was rough on all of us, for several reasons obviously, regarding basketball and even more so our lives in general. I tried to stick to this community but I almost lost touch completely.

To be honest, if it wasn't for Luka and, moreover, him instantly making us fun to watch but, more importantly, absolutely relevant again (hopefully for years to come) - I might as well be out of this community for good. Real life has caught up wit me, working a real job, moving in together with my girl, trying now, at 30, to figure out life in its entirety and, on a sidenote, questioning many things (besides my GF and my values) almost everything, especially my job (consultant in marketing, for anyone who's curious) and, as always, I now feel what's so wonderful about sports in general and basketball, meaning the Mavs, specifically, again: It takes our mind of things, gives us stuff to talk about, be amazed about, be mad and glad about.

A couple of days ago I was sitting in beautiful Venice, Italy, with my wonderful girlfriend, midday, drinking a bottle of Lugana (great italien white vine), by meself, obviously, since my girlfriend had campari or whatever girls drink, watching the first game of this highliy anticipated series. I was watching on my phone, sacrificing my precious mobile data, since the cafe didn't offer any wifi, with my league pass, obviously restricted towards the Mavs since who cares about the rest of this league and what happens after we're eliminated, right, and I was furious. The refs screwed us over, the game turned after Kristaps ejection which was, leven the ESPN commentators mentioned it, utter BS.

But somehow, it even was fun. I missed this. I mean I watched the whole season before the lockdown but didn't come around to post here anymore for the reasons I alluded to. But the reason I come back now is that I realized, I still needed to give this community something back, that it really is something that I don't question about life at all, the Mavs and Dirk meant the world to be (like my tiny 41-tattoo on my ankle suggests (my only one, btw)). Maybe this sounds like hyperbole but at least for me, it's not.

Major changes might be coming up for me in the next months and I don't know where I'll end up but I am sure the Mavs will keep playing a role in my life and I hope I can come around to post here, at least somewhat regularly. I am really happy you guys kept this place and comunity alive (is db.com dead yeat? I haven't checked) and I will try to support this place in order to save it for future generations.

The infamous TMOGE once said to me "if you're still around once Dirk retires, I will be impressed, but I know you probably won't". That has stuck with me and I am trying to prove him wrong - just like Dirk did.

TLDR; I am back - if you still know me, great, if not, I am trying to get acquinted.
Thanks for the update, meister. Good to know that you are meeting life's challenges in these strange times.
Like Reply
Thumbs Up 
(08-21-2020, 12:38 PM)meistermatze Wrote: Dear fellow MFFLs,

To be honest, if it wasn't for Luka and, moreover, him instantly making us fun to watch but, more importantly, absolutely relevant again (hopefully for years to come) .... 

TLDR; I am back - if you still know me, great, if not, I am trying to get acquainted.

Nice.  Prove the doubters wrong! 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
First Killer and now Meister have come back home... Heart
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Yeah right, just in time before there're no more seats on the bandwagon...

Cool 

Nah, kidding ofc, Servus und Grüß Gottle!
Like Reply
Glad to see you've found your way!

Thanks for the update, and I hope you overcome all obstacles in your way!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
How was it watching game 4?Smile
Like Reply
Thanks for the welcome, guys and Grüß Gott to all se germans of course.

Super pumped about last night and happy, that I announced my comeback beforehand haha.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 12:38 PM)meistermatze Wrote: The infamous TMOGE once said to me "if you're still around once Dirk retires, I will be impressed, but I know you probably won't". That has stuck with me and I am trying to prove him wrong - just like Dirk did.

Good to see you meistermatze!!

Man, TMOGE's tired bit got, and gets, way too much mileage around here! His whole schtick was about doubting Dirk, and I don't remember (could be wrong) that he ever stopped by to take his lumps after Dirk got his ring. TMOGE was the forum's Skip Bayless.
Like Reply
Hey fif, good to read you, too.

Actually, TMOGE ate some crow and even started a thread where he said he was wrong all along: But I remember me and some others not letting him off the hook so easily and I think, he stopped posting alltogether not long after this failed "apology". But at least, he admitted he was wrong at one point and tried.
Like Reply
(08-27-2020, 06:33 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Hey fif, good to read you, too.

Actually, TMOGE ate some crow and even started a thread where he said he was wrong all along: But I remember me and some others not letting him off the hook so easily and I think, he stopped posting alltogether not long after this failed "apology". But at least, he admitted he was wrong at one point and tried.

Good for him! I missed that.
Like Reply
We all miss the old days. Hopefully, the new optimism around Luka and Kristaps can create a "good ole new days" feeling.
Like Reply
Say, did the "Dirk only fan" make it over here? I think his name was Markus. I would love get to his take on Luka.
Like Reply
(09-16-2020, 08:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Say, did the "Dirk only fan" make it over here? I think his name was Markus. I would love get to his take on Luka.

He did indeed. He posts every once in a while.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply