Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 102, Suns 128
Mavs Blown Out in Season Finale

The Mavericks clearly decided to blow this game off, electing not to risk their more important players in a meaningless match.  KP was inactive due to a left heel bruise, Luka and DFS appeared for less than 15 minutes each, and Curry and Hardaway ended their spells on the court a few minutes into the third quarter. The second and third string players got substantial burn, with Bobi, MKG, Burke, Jackson, Wright, and Barea all playing for 18 minutes or more. 

It was the Phoenix show in this match. The Mavs had a maximum lead of one point, occurring twice in the first quarter. The Suns went on a run late in the first period, and Dallas mostly just got further behind after that, although they seemed to be enjoying the last game of the regular season as it was played out. 

It was a very summer-league-like contest, with lots of running and shooting, and defense being in very short supply. Still fun, after a fashion. The Barea-Bobi connection was looking good!

Rick Carlisle looked like he was glad to be out of the gym after the game. Said it is difficult to play in a situation where there is nothing to be gained or lost by the result, especially when the other side has a lot riding on it. He thought the Suns deserved the lion’s share of the credit for the win, and commended them for playing “incredibly well.”

I don’t think there is any point in a detailed analysis of this game, or that there is much to take away from it. More like a season-ending pick-up game, tbh. In an entertaining way. 

With the victory, the Suns kept their play-in hopes alive, at least pending the Portland game in a few hours. Elsewhere, the Spurs’ 22-year playoff streak came to an end. They had a good run. 

The Mavericks will face the Clippers in the first round next week. Rick believes that the Clips’ main strengths, aside from their two stars, are their defense, physicality, and experience. He also mentioned the attitude they play with, and said his own team will have to “attack hard” to compete. 

I think most MFFLs will agree that some of the Mavs’ challenges will be playing effective defense, keeping their offense humming and in attack mode, prioritizing defensive rebounds, avoiding turnovers, and making good decisions and executing well in the clutch, assuming they find themselves in clutch situations. In these respects, we saw some progress in the bubble, at least in stretches. We saw Luka effectively manage the offense/clock, the team learn not to rely so much on threes, and largely keep their turnovers low. They may or may not win games, but I think they have what it takes to make the Clippers work hard. 

So, we get to see the Mavs in the playoffs for the first time in what seems like forever! Rick says Luka is “wired for big moments,” and I can’t wait to see it! 

Hasta luego!
Like Reply