Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 122, Jazz 114
Comeback Win for Mavs in Battle of Benches

The Mavs overcame a 22-point deficit, the largest comeback since February, 2016.

Game Story

This was a great game for fans who like to see the low-minute players getting some burn. The Mavericks rested Luka, KP, and DFS. Rick said that Doe-Doe is still nursing a lingering hip injury, and all three of the starters have been stacking up a lot of minutes and needed a rest on the first night of a back-to-back. 

The Jazz rested Donovan Mitchell, did not play their starters in the second half, and resorted to their third string when they had accumulated too big a lead. Utah appeared to be tanking, presumably in an effort to avoid the Rockets in the first round. 

Dallas broke out its 32nd starting lineup of the season with Barea, Curry, THJ, Justin Jackson, and Boban. The Mavs were in attack mode in the first quarter, earning 20 points in the paint. In a role reversal, the Jazz were slinging threes all over the place. Utah had 9 triples in the frame, whereas the Mavs were 0-1 from deep. Wasn’t expecting that! The opponent led 38-30 after one. 

In the second, we were treated to a number of rare sightings — Barea oops to Boban, Reaves to Boban for a dunk, Bobi screening for Seth, Burke with the team’s first three, etc. Utah maintained a small lead, and at 2:48, the Mavs had drawn within three. Unfortunately, the Jazz advantage had grown to 16 at the end of the quarter. Mavs trailed 54-70.

In the third, with the Jazz starters sitting,  the deficit quickly grew to 22. Utah, seeing its tank in jeopardy, brought the third string in for reinforcement, at one point having four rookies on the floor. The Mavs whittled the margin to ten after three. The scoreline was 88-100.

THJ gave the Mavs their first lead since the first quarter at 8:07 with a pull-up jumper. A Trey Burke three at 5:46 gave Dallas the edge for good. The Mavericks pulled out the W. The Jazz broke a franchise record for made threes in a game at 21.

Analytics

Dallas won this one on the strength of excellent shooting. Eight of the eleven Mavs who saw the court shot 50% or better from the field. The group were 12 of 24 from long range, and 14-16 from the line. They put together 58 points in the paint, while the Jazz had only 28. (Who’d a thunk?) Our boys were also very careful with the ball, with only 8 turnovers, while the opponent lost 20 points off giveaways. 

Players 

THJ led the team in points (27) and minutes (34). He was an excellent 11-15 from the field, and 3-6 from three. He took it on himself to be the first option, and was in attack mode the whole night. 

Seth was back to showing off his scoring prowess with 22 points in 29 minutes. He was 4-6 from deep and looked to be feeling his oats again. 

My man Boban looked like a Harlem Globetrotter out there, taking advantage of a 25-minute outing. He had 20 points on 7-11 shooting, and was 6-6 from the stripe. He also collected 9 rebounds, and had 2 blocks to show for his work around the rim. 

Barea looked like it was 2011 again, running the pick and roll, and lobbing to big men like old times. He put up 18 points of his own in 7-13 tries. He was quite the playmaker, racking up 8 assists with only 2 turnovers. 

Burke added 14 points off the bench (5-10), and dropped 4 dimes to boot. Maxi had 11 points (5-9), and was a positive force on both ends of the court. MKG had the team-high +/- at +21 in 18 minutes, and he never even took a shot!

Remarks

Rick described this as a “quirky” game, and I would echo that. It was fun in its own way, but I don’t really think we can take a lot away from this contest (although it did keep alive the Mavs’ mathematical chance of moving up in the seeding). It was a reasonably entertaining affair, and gave us a chance to get an extended look at a number of players that we don’t often see. Congrats to the guys for fighting their way out of a deep hole!

Next. Portland, tomorrow.
Like Reply
How the f did the Mavs pull that one out. 

I thought they were chicken dinner at halftime. Utah stopped their ungodly 3 point barrage and the Mavs pulled a sneaky. 

Good to see that THJ and Seth actually stepped up and hit their shots. Also honorable mention to MKG. He was basically useless on offense the entire time on the court, but he had some nice defensive possessions. 
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Unless you're just one of those who want the Mavs to get pile-driven badly by the Clipps so that Cuban wakes up and sees the urgency of busting tail to put together a contender next year, it's hard to be too cynical about this game. We want Curry and THJ untracked when the playoffs roll around. I do agree that the downside of rising in the standings would be worsening our pick, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to accept.
Like Reply
(08-10-2020, 10:38 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: How the f did the Mavs pull that one out. 

I thought they were chicken dinner at halftime. Utah stopped their ungodly 3 point barrage and the Mavs pulled a sneaky. 

Good to see that THJ and Seth actually stepped up and hit their shots. Also honorable mention to MKG. He was basically useless on offense the entire time on the court, but he had some nice defensive possessions. 
They had a little help from Coach Snyder, who appeared anxious to avoid a first round meet-up with the Rockets. Not to take away from the Mavs' improvement in the second half. 

Agree with your observations on THJ, Seth, and MKG. Great to see them stepping up.
Like Reply
(08-11-2020, 03:25 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Unless you're just one of those who want the Mavs to get pile-driven badly by the Clipps so that Cuban wakes up and sees the urgency of busting tail to put together a contender next year, it's hard to be too cynical about this game. We want Curry and THJ untracked when the playoffs roll around. I do agree that the downside of rising in the standings would be worsening our pick, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to accept.
Yeah, once you're out of the lottery, the difference between the value of one pick and the adjacent pick is pretty negligible. Growing this group as a team matters more.
Like Reply