Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 136, Bucks 132
Mavs Show Clutch Chops in Overtime Victory
Luka Explodes in Superlative Performance

The Mavericks took the number one team in the league to an overtime win on the back of a simply sensational night from Luka, and the team finally clicking on all cylinders. 

Game Story

Seth and DFS were listed as questionable before the game, but both made it into the starting lineup. 

First quarterThe Mavs got out to a great start, with everyone looking to be on the same page, and straightaway generated some highlight moments. Luka had a spectacular behind-the-back pass fake before going up for a bucket. About halfway through the period, Trey Burke had a nifty pass to KP for a SLAM! Toward the end of the period, Luka was called for a blocking foul when Giannis barreled over him. Rick challenged the call, and Giannis was rightfully tagged with the charge. In the last minute, Maxi had a defensive kick-out into Giannis’ nether regions, and on review, was called for a flagrant. Come on, man. The Mavericks got off to a pretty good lead, but the Bucks had a 7-0 run to end the quarter. 35-32 Mavs. 

Second QuarterThe second frame opened well, as Luka found cutters Delon Wright and DFS on their way to the basket. With five minutes left, Maxi was called for his third foul. He went to the bench shaking his head and looking chagrined before dissolving in snickers as Giannis air-balled a free throw, lol. Not long after, KP showed off his passing skills by following up a rebound with a lob all the way down the court to DFS, who dove to the basket and dropped it in. Unfortunately, the Bucks made a mega-run, largely on the strength of a 21-point quarter from Brook Lopez. Dallas trailed 62-71 going into the locker room. 

Third QuarterIn the third, Luka found KP on a baseline cut for a two-handed flush, WITH AUTHORITY. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist made a debut cameo. Toward the end of the frame, Trey Burke had a lovely lob to Justin Jackson, who was fouled and hit his free throws. The Mavs ended the quarter with Luka breaking down the defense for another KP jam, a great pass from Luka to Jackson, and a steal by Burke. Dallas made up their deficit and then some, taking a 93-91 lead into the fourth. 

Fourth quarterThe fourth period started well, with a Luka-Maxi lob for an and-one. Doncic hit a step-back three over Wesley Matthews, followed by a catch-and-shoot from deep from Doe-Doe. The Mavs had the last 7 points of the quarter, taking the game to overtime at 119-119.

Overtime. Our boys scored the first 9 points of the period. The Bucks whittled the lead down to 2 a couple of times. KP fouled out at the 1:23 mark. At 1:08, Luka had a brilliant bounce pass between Giannis’ legs to Maxi, who had the presence of mind to reach down and grab it before going up for a bucket. After the game, Kleber said that Luka will always give you a shot if you’re in position, so you have to be ready for those between-the-legs passes, lol. Giannis fouled out with 5 seconds left, and Luka took the team home. 

What a fun game!

Analytics 

Neither team shot well from long range. The Mavs were 32% from three, but shot 60% from inside the arc, and were a fabulous 92% from the line. Dallas rebounded well, and got up 16 more shots than their Eastern Conference opponent. Although the Mavericks had 9 fewer FTAs than the Bucks, their highly accurate performance from the line resulted in both sides earning 23 points on freebies. All in all, the Mavs were -2 on points from twos, +6 on points from threes, and even on made free throws. 

Ball movement was stellar, and 37 of the Mavericks’ made baskets were assisted. Our men took very good care of the ball, losing only 6 points to turnovers, while the Bucks surrendered 19 points on giveaways. Finally, the Mavs emphasized getting to the basket, and had 54 points in the paint, exceeding the Bucks by 6. 

Players 

DFS (43 min) — Oh, what a night for Doe-Doe. He had a career-high 27 points, including 6 threes. He also contributed 11 rebounds (5 offensive) and 5 assists. Such a performance! He wasn’t big enough to guard Lopez and Giannis under the basket, but he was pretty unguardable as well. The Bucks tried to hide Lopez on Dorian, and DFS absolutely clowned him on the offensive end. Luka created some great shots for him, and he rewarded the trust. Great job from the small forward! More of that, please!

Luka (42 min) — OMG! There are no words!  The young star had 36 points, going 12-24 from the field and 9-10 from the line. He was awesome in terms of managing the game and not letting the offense get static. His scoreline also boasted 14 rebounds and an insane career-high 19 assists. And he’s only 21 years old! 

He earned his 17th triple-double of the campaign, making him King of the Triple Double for this season, it being too late for anyone else to catch up with him. He is the youngest player in NBA history to lead the league in triple dubs for a season, and the only player to ever have a 36-14-19 line. Rick admired the “ridiculous” stats, but said he was most proud of Luka for his leadership, keeping everyone involved and dealing professionally with the refs. He says Luka is a “savant,” always knowing where everyone is on both ends of the court, and he views Doncic as in a class with Larry Bird and Jason Kidd in that respect. 

Luka was named a finalist for Most Improved Player of the Year. Amazing for a guy who was Rookie of the Year last season! What an incredible night for our superstar!! Hallelukah!

KP (40 min) — Porzee shone, with 26 points and 11 boards. He didn’t have a great shooting night (9-24), but went 7-7 from the line and was the only Mav who had the size and skill to defend the Bucks’ talented big men.  He served as the anchor on the defensive end, and confounded the hapless Bucks who tried to guard him. 

Others -- Hardaway had a big clutch three in overtime. Maxi was good for 15 points, and looked to be on a string with his teammates. Burke put up 10 points off the bench, and added 4 rebounds and 3 assists in 20 minutes. 

Bucks — Brook Lopez had a career-high 34 points, including 6 from deep. Fortunately, in the end, he couldn’t keep up defensively. Khris Middleton had 21 points and 11 assists. Giannis was quite impressive with 34 points and 13 rebounds, although he was only 7-14 from the line. I have to compliment him for his great effort, but the poor guy just ran into a buzz saw against Luka. 

Remarks

This was just a wonderful performance from the Mavericks, despite the so-so three-point shooting. Truly remarkable at the end of regulation and in overtime. Beyond awesome from Luka. If this team played like this all the time, they could beat anyone! Fantastic!!!

Next. Utah, on Monday. Mosey on by. You never can tell what you're going to see when you turn on a Mavs game!
Like Reply
Thanks for the write up.  

It is a shame THJ and Seth can't seem to get it going especially after Seth looked hot to start the bubble. 

Delon is an enigma.  He can get where he needs to be and then seems to forget why or how he got there and panic throws it to someone else.  Maybe watching Luka's decision making spoils me.  

Even on 3pt shots, Delon will pause.  I am sure the coaches tell him to let it fly.  When he played for Memphis, I remember a guy who was relentless and was not afraid of taking a shot.  I hate to give up on him.  Maybe this offense confuses him and he needs more concrete plays to follow.  IDK, but it is frustrating to watch because I think he has the skills.

Really fun game and it is so nice to have a talent like Luka to watch.
Like Reply
Is it me or both this side background and writing colours are black?
Because I always find it hard to read this thread(s)
Like Reply
(08-09-2020, 10:37 AM)Hypermav Wrote: It is a shame THJ and Seth can't seem to get it going especially after Seth looked hot to start the bubble. 

OTOH - if shots start to fall for whatever reason, we're looking at a team that might score 10+ points more than they do now. Could be hard to beat, suddenly.

Very impressive game by Luka and I really like the trend for Kristaps since the restart. Kristaps is playing with so much confidence most of the time and operates with force and speed in the paint - he often looked reluctant, uncoordinated, even timid sometimes, before the season had been shutdown. And Luka may have made a big step forward the last two games, playing defense and being a leader and floor general in crunch time (the tendency to fall back to highly contested step backs in case of emergency is still there - hope he can continue to bridle that tendency).

The Bucks didn't have somthing to play for, yesterday (besides record and honor) - but I didn't see them holding back either. High intensity on the court. Maybe Giannis would have played more in a playoff situation, but he may just have fouled out earlier. Shoutout to DFS for a great game, overshadowed by an all-time performance from Luka Magic.

(08-09-2020, 11:07 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Is it me or both this side background and writing colours are black?
Because I always find it hard to read this thread(s)

#metoo - but works with the light theme.
Like Reply
How do I switch to light theme?
Like Reply
(08-09-2020, 01:57 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: How do I switch to light theme?
Scroll down as far was you can. At the very bottom right-hand corner of your screen, there is a toggle button between light theme and mobile (dark) theme.
Like Reply
^^^^Thanks
And sorry for spamming the thread
Like Reply
(08-09-2020, 03:10 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: ^^^^Thanks
And sorry for spamming the thread
no problem, happy to be of help
Like Reply
(08-09-2020, 10:37 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Thanks for the write up.  

It is a shame THJ and Seth can't seem to get it going especially after Seth looked hot to start the bubble. 

Delon is an enigma.  He can get where he needs to be and then seems to forget why or how he got there and panic throws it to someone else.  Maybe watching Luka's decision making spoils me.  

Even on 3pt shots, Delon will pause.  I am sure the coaches tell him to let it fly.  When he played for Memphis, I remember a guy who was relentless and was not afraid of taking a shot.  I hate to give up on him.  Maybe this offense confuses him and he needs more concrete plays to follow.  IDK, but it is frustrating to watch because I think he has the skills.

Really fun game and it is so nice to have a talent like Luka to watch.
Yeah, I saw Seth walk to the bench grimacing as if he were in pain when he was subbed out. I wonder if maybe that right leg is still hurting him. 

Hardaway is streaky, and might have been trying to do a little do much, but I think he might get it together on any given night. 

Delon is a conundrum. Agree that he has skills. He just seems so tentative. I thought he seemed a little more forceful in this game, but still not at the confidence level one would hope for. 

The Mavs have enough offensive firepower that they don't need every single role player to step up every game. But they do need one or two to give them 15-20 points. In this game, it was DFS and Maxi. Maybe another night it will be Seth/Tim/Burke. We know they are capable of it. 

Good thoughts.
Like Reply
Imagine what KP will look like when he actually takes good shots. I still think half of his shots aren't good looks. He tends to force shots when he is on the block. I like him operating with the ball at the top of the key. He is actually an underrated passer. Some nights I still don't know if he knows what to do in this offense. He did have success rolling to the basket which is another thing he needs to do more. When he gets deep position in the paint he is great. So its really his shots on the block or elbow that bother me the most.
Like Reply
(08-09-2020, 11:08 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: Very impressive game by Luka and I really like the trend for Kristaps since the restart. Kristaps is playing with so much confidence most of the time and operates with force and speed in the paint - he often looked reluctant, uncoordinated, even timid sometimes, before the season had been shutdown. And Luka may have made a big step forward the last two games, playing defense and being a leader and floor general in crunch time (the tendency to fall back to highly contested step backs in case of emergency is still there - hope he can continue to bridle that tendency).

The Bucks didn't have somthing to play for, yesterday (besides record and honor) - but I didn't see them holding back either. High intensity on the court. Maybe Giannis would have played more in a playoff situation, but he may just have fouled out earlier. Shoutout to DFS for a great game, overshadowed by an all-time performance from Luka Magic
Rick said Luka is getting better "by the day, by the hour." I feel like both he and Kristaps have made progress just in these five games. Great reasons for optimism. 

I was wondering if the Bucks would just rest players, since they had already clinched the #1 seed in the East. But it seemed to me that they were bringing their "A" game, or trying to, anyway.
Like Reply
(08-10-2020, 09:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Rick said Luka is getting better "by the day, by the hour." I feel like both he and Kristaps have made progress just in these five games.

Luka is showing an INCREDIBLE amount of growth. Starting the bubble chucking threes. Then driving almost 35 times per game. Then struggling against LAC. Then bouncing back with one of the greatest games I have ever seen. His growth will probably never be as rapid as it is during this window in his career. And all this while playing the best defense of his life.
Like Reply
(08-10-2020, 09:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 09:24 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Rick said Luka is getting better "by the day, by the hour." I feel like both he and Kristaps have made progress just in these five games.

Luka is showing an INCREDIBLE amount of growth. Starting the bubble chucking threes. Then driving almost 35 times per game. Then struggling against LAC. Then bouncing back with one of the greatest games I have ever seen. His growth will probably never be as rapid as it is during this window in his career. And all this while playing the best defense of his life.
Very exciting developments. In the big picture, this skyrocketing growth trajectory far outweighs the team's tepid record in the Bubble.
Like Reply
(08-10-2020, 09:30 AM)Kammrath Wrote:

I think Lukas development and obviously the growing expectations are easily summed up by the perception of his performance vs the Clippers. 99% of players will never come close to the numbers he put up against them. Struggling his way to 29/3/6 on 62% TS. For comparisation. Peak Lillard is averaging 29/4/8 this year on similar efficiency.
Like Reply
I think ex-Mav Wesley Matthews might deserve a shout out for this game. He drew the hapless assignment of trying to defend Luka. 

This, from Bucks site Brew Hoop --

Wes Matthews tried! But ultimately, Luka Doncic had Wes dancing all night with an array of fancy footwork and crossovers. Luka completely dominated from the opening tip, pouring in 36 points, 14 rebounds, and 19 assists while turning the ball over only twice. He plays the game very slow but methodically. He broke down the Bucks defense countless times and made a handful of beautiful passes. To have 19 assists compared to only two turnovers is pretty unfathomable...especially against Milwaukee’s defense. Luckily for Wes Matthews, though, is Luka pretty much dominates whoever he goes up against.
Like Reply
(08-10-2020, 09:53 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think Lukas development and obviously the growing expectations is easily summed up by the perception of his performance vs the Clippers. 99% of players will never come close to the numbers he put up against them. Struggling his way to 29/3/6 on 62% TS. For comparisation. Peak Lillard is averaging 29/4/8 this year on similar efficiency.

BUT, BUT, BUT in DSJ's fourth to last game as a Mav he put up 17/4/8 against the Clips while shooting 35% and then 6 weeks later he put up 8/6/1 on 27% shooting against LAC.
Like Reply
(08-09-2020, 07:27 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Imagine what KP will look like when he actually takes good shots. I still think half of his shots aren't good looks. He tends to force shots when he is on the block. I like him operating with the ball at the top of the key. He is actually an underrated passer. Some nights I still don't know if he knows what to do in this offense. He did have success rolling to the basket which is another thing he needs to do more. When he gets deep position in the paint he is great. So its really his shots on the block or elbow that bother me the most.
They seem to be moving in the direction of using the LD-KP pick and roll more, which I think shows promise.
Like Reply