Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THJ is terrible and these MAVs will be swept by the Clippers
This Mavs team goes as THJ does.  We know what we will get from Luka and KP every game but no one else can be counted on to hit wide open shots they draw or play defense on a consistent basis.   If THJ isn't hitting his wide open shots the Mavs have no chance.  

The number three role on this team needs to be upgraded in the offseason.
Like Reply
Wright and Jackson have played like crap all season...every time they enter the game I want to chunk my remote at the TV... Angry
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I can tell you immediately how Clippers will play against us. They will switch Curry on Kawhi or George or play PnR against him and it will be easy opportunities all day long.
Like Reply
(08-06-2020, 08:28 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Wright and Jackson have played like crap all season...every time they enter the game I want to chunk my remote at the TV... Angry

I don't think I have ever seen a player miss so many uncontested layups in an NBA game as I have with Jackson.  He is good for at least one a game.

Outside Luka and KP there is no talent on this team to win a playoff game.

(08-06-2020, 08:31 PM)omahen Wrote: I can tell you immediately how Clippers will play against us. They will switch Curry on Kawhi or George or play PnR against him and it will be easy opportunities all day long.

Yup! I know everyone loves him but the starting lineup isn't meant for him.  Everyone but Luka and KP are playing above the designated role they should be playing.  

The Mavs have gapping holes in the starting lineup.
Like Reply
THJ is just a guy who put up stats on bad Knicks teams and we were fortunate enough to have him shoot a career high in 3-pt % this season. He should always be nothing more than a 6th man scorer
Like Reply
(08-06-2020, 09:03 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: THJ is just a guy who put up stats on bad Knicks teams and we were fortunate enough to have him shoot a career high in 3-pt % this season. He should always be nothing more than a 6th man scorer

Agree. He should be the Mavs JR Smith, nothing more.  The fact that he is counted on as third scorer and starter shows the lack of talent on the team.
Like Reply
THJ is a volume shooter. He gets hot when his shooting is in high volume, but it bites the team when his shots aren't going in. Especially how open of a shot he has when he catches the ball.  I really wish Rick would get on him to attack the basket early to get him mentally prep.
Like Reply
Let’s extend him. This message brought to you by the same people who were bending over backwards to figure out how to give Harrison Barnes $100 million again.
Like Reply
Looks like it's Plan Powder 2021, and I must say I'm sickened
Gonna serve us right if the salary cap tanks that year
Like Reply
THJ isn't playing his way out of an extension. He's playing his way into his player option, which means we won't be able to trade him when we need to (draft time) nor free up his cap space. Crap.

Actually, I wouldn't mind a THJ extension - for Seth money moving forward.
Like Reply
(08-06-2020, 10:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: THJ isn't playing his way out of an extension. He's playing his way into his player option, which means we won't be able to trade him when we need to (draft time) nor free up his cap space. Crap.

He is an average player so anything around the MLE would work but I seriously doubt he would accept that type of contract.   But that is about what he should be paid.
Like Reply
Clippers are a tough matchup for wings. THJ + DFS don’t stand a chance against Leonard and George. The Mavs have Luka and some viable talent with their bigs, at point guard, and with their tweeners, but they are a couple of big time three and D players away from being a good team. They had a nice start to the season due to Luka and smoke and mirrors coaching, but as things sit now, Phoenix, Portland, and New Orleans have probably moved past them going into next year. They’ll need a big upgrade at wing to avoid the lottery next season.
Like Reply
(08-06-2020, 10:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: THJ isn't playing his way out of an extension. He's playing his way into his player option, which means we won't be able to trade him when we need to (draft time) nor free up his cap space. Crap.

Yeah, Seth-/Maxi-money (maybe a bit north of that) or an extension shouldn't be on the table. I like his performances (he's been such a great surprise) a lot but we gotta keep the payroll in shape.

Sucks that we got suckered into the Powell-extension. That was the worst move, premature and overpaid the team-friendliest position in the market (non shooting big men). Delon wasn't great either, but he's at least available to play with decent stats (15+ PER, 38% from three, great ORTg/DRTg/NRTg, good TS%) combined with size and athleticism for his position. Should be moveable if needed to.
Like Reply
(08-07-2020, 08:26 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Delon wasn't great either, but he's at least available to play with decent stats

You can't watch a game and say that Smile Delon is horrible on offense and no where near a difference maker on defense. I don't care what stats say. He is killing our offense by not taking open shots.

(08-07-2020, 05:42 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: THJ + DFS don’t stand a chance against Leonard and George.

Perhaps DFS could go against George, but THJ was certainly just overpowered. It would take a bigger body for Kawhi. I would try Maxi or Luka. I am worried how Seth will be able to play against this big team
Like Reply
(08-06-2020, 09:50 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Let’s extend him. This message brought to you by the same people who were bending over backwards to figure out how to give Harrison Barnes $100 million again.

And this is why I want the OP's headline to come true. If Mavs go like 7 games against the Nuggets or something crazy like that, MBT will be like here's 100 mil THJ! Let's just tinker with this roster!

If Mavs get their face kicked in despite 60+ a night from KP/Luka then there will be more incentive to get them help. I like THJ just fine, I just like him on his current deal. The second he gets extended I will like him a lot less. I would much rather find a way to move him this summer when his salary will help match other players we want. He is also a good player and has value as such just like Barnes did (maybe more even?). The value isn't great but its good enough when paired with picks and other stuff to potentially land a much better player.

So bring on the Clips and lets get this beating over with!
Like Reply
Hate to say this but in any series it starts with your stars against their stars. Luka right now doesn’t have a midrange game.

You can tell me all about how he had it in Euroleague but he has not shown it in the NBA. Until he does we don’t have a chance against the Clips, regardless of how our supporting cast is.

He has all the tools for that shot, handles, ability to stop on a dime, rise and shoot. Doing that will also remove any need for a step back 3...the worst shot in the book. He has to change his mindset. He has some bad habits he needs to break. Still very young.
Like Reply
(08-07-2020, 06:40 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Hate to say this but in any series it starts with your stars against their stars. Luka right now doesn’t have a midrange game.

You can tell me all about how he had it in Euroleague but he has not shown it in the NBA.  Until he does we don’t have a chance against the Clips, regardless of how our supporting cast is.

He has all the tools for that shot, handles, ability to stop on a dime, rise and shoot. Doing that will also remove any need for a step back 3...the worst shot in the book. He has to change his mindset. He has some bad habits he needs to break. Still very young.

KP and Luka are averaging 30/10 in the bubble each, how much more are you expecting from them?  No superstar tandem is doing more for their teams.

These loses are about the supporting players, nothing more.  The role players aren't making their wide open looks.
Like Reply
They definitely need 2 more quality wings or 1 star wing.
Pity there aren’t more good free agent wings this offseason considering the amount of under the cap teams. Could have been a chance at getting a decent upgrade for MLE.

For the Clipper matchup they may have to start Maxi and have him guard Kawhi.
Like Reply
(08-07-2020, 07:18 PM)Playmaker Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 06:40 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Hate to say this but in any series it starts with your stars against their stars. Luka right now doesn’t have a midrange game.

You can tell me all about how he had it in Euroleague but he has not shown it in the NBA.  Until he does we don’t have a chance against the Clips, regardless of how our supporting cast is.

KP and Luka are averaging 30/10 in the bubble each, how much more are you expecting from them?  No superstar tandem is doing more for their teams.

These loses are about the supporting players, nothing more.  The role players aren't making their wide open looks.

This. No duo is averaging more points in the bubble. Luka is LeBron like in the paint and actually had a great shooting night against the Clippers. KP and Doncic outscored Kawhi and PG on better efficiency. Mavs won the superstar matchup but they played terrible defense and allowed random role player like Zubac or Morris to dominate them. Give the Mavs a player that scores 20 points without missing a FG and they win. A team like the Clippers is good enough to bring a better version of THJ of the bench (Lou Williams).
A midrange jumper isn´t the answer for everything. Dirk had it and he couldn´t get his team out of the first round in most years. Same for Jordan before Pippen arrived.
Like Reply
Another year another group of players to blame but there as been on consistent thing and until that changes it wont get any better.
Like Reply