Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 114, Kings 110
Mavs Escape Kings in Comeback Victory

Luka Dazzles in All Respects 

Mavericks earn their first win in the re-start with an overtime triumph over Sacramento. I don’t like to stick pinholes in the team bubble, but I can’t say it was the prettiest of victories. 

One-line summary from Luka:  

"We played one of the worst games ever and won it." 

Yeah, that pretty much describes it, lol. 

Game Story

Seth Curry was inactive due to a sore right leg. Trey Burke was listed as his replacement in the starting lineup, but Barea was actually the player who was on the court at tip-off. 

Dallas achieved their last lead in regulation at 2-0. Sac ended the first quarter with a 37-27 advantage, thanks to a barrage of threes (9). The Mavs shot poorly (40%), but stayed alive courtesy of 10-14 FTAs. 

In the second frame, the Kings’ shooting cooled off (0-8 3PTAs), and the “home team” Mavs continued their parade to the line, hitting 12-13 FTAs. Their performance from the field flagged even further, however (35%), and they still carried a 4-point deficit into the half, with the scoreline reading 56-60 at the interval. 

The third quarter was an embarrassment for both teams, with the Mavs scoring a measly 19 points, and the Kings not much better at 22. Dallas was 1-12 from deep, with Luka scoring the only long ball late in the period. Aargh. Our boys trailed 75-82 after three. 

The fourth was, from a basketball perspective, maybe even worse than the third, if that is possible. But at least the blue team claimed more points (20-13). On the sunny side, Dallas began to overcome some of their clutch woes, with a 6-0 run (including 7 consecutive stops) to tie the game at the end of regulation. 

The Mavs began overtime with Maxi at center, as KP had fouled out at the 3:51 mark in the fourth quarter. A Buddy Hield triple put Sac up three at 3:30. THJ was fouled on a three-point try and hit all of his foul shots to tie the game at 3:10. Luka put the team up for good  at 1:57. The remaining time was far from drama-free, as Sac drew within two with six seconds left. Fortunately, Burke was intentionally fouled and hit his free throws, icing the game for the Mavs.

Analytics

What a crazy game. So many outliers in terms of game patterns. 

The Mavs were putrid from the floor, knocking down only 9 of their 41 3PTAs and hitting 37% overall. Yikes. However, they earned a remarkable 50 free throws, and completed 39 of them. This wasn’t just a case of the refs being whistle-happy — the Kings had only 12 attempts from the stripe. When the final buzzer sounded, the Mavs were -6 on points from twos, -21 on points from threes, and +31 on free throws. First time I’ve ever seen a score distribution like that. Luke Walton, head coach of the Kings, said he had never seen a game where one team had 50 free-throw attempts (although he personally played in at least two with the Lakers).

Dallas also limited the Kings’ possessions with an insane 61 rebounds, including 17 offensive boards. Luka and DFS combined for 36 off the glass!

What else is there to say?!

Players

Luka (44 min) — Luka turned in a stupendous stat sheet, earning his 16th triple-double of the season. But this was no ordinary, so-so 10/10/10 triple-double. He boasted 34 points, a ridiculous 20 rebounds, 12 assists (despite his teammates shooting so badly), and the only 2 blocks on the team. He limited himself to only 6 three-point shots (completing two), and put in a brilliant performance dancing and weaving to the rim and putting the ball in the basket over a swarm of defenders. He also put in a concerted effort on defense, especially in the fourth quarter and overtime. He said after the game that he has been working hard to be better on the defensive end, and it looked to be paying off. 

I must say, I was a little surprised to see Luka’s line after the game. It was about the quietest monster game I can recall. Despite the gaudy box score, there was very little in the way of flashy plays — just an unrelenting grind in the face of a subpar team performance for most of the game. I am so delighted that his shouldering the team like this didn’t turn out to be wasted in a loss. Good job, Luka!

THJ (42 min) — Timmy bounced back from an embarrassing performance against Phoenix, saying that he wanted to redeem himself in this match. His shooting wasn’t amazing (6-14), but he was 7-8 from the line and grabbed five rebounds. Carlisle recognized Hardaway for “busting his butt” on defense, and pointedly complimented him for his “patience and discipline” on the offensive end. Tim himself said that he had made a point not to be overly aggressive, and to let the game come to him, so maybe he just needed a mentality adjustment to get back on track. 

DFS (41 min) — Doe-Doe had a pretty terrible shooting night (4-13), but he went 7-9 from the line, and had an amazing career-high 16 rebounds (6 offensive). Rick noted that the small forward has been hobbled with hip troubles, but felt much better today. He complemented Finney-Smith on his rebounding, big free throws down the stretch, big three in the second half, and consistently doing the dirty work. Dorian hit three of four free throws after being intentionally fouled in the last 18 seconds of overtime, and hit a three early in the fourth quarter. Luka thought DFS did an amazing job of rebounding, and noted that, despite the fact that Doe-Doe doesn’t often have a big stat line, he is a very important player in the team. 

Maxi (30 min) — Maxi didn’t have a showy line (8/6/1, with 4 turnovers), but Coach praised him for sticking with his effort even when he got some easy shots that didn’t go in. He liked Kleber’s “huge three” in overtime, and noted that Maxi displayed persistence, which is “the name of the game.” Maxi’s three in overtime gave the Mavs their biggest lead of the game to that point (5), with 1:22 left to play. Maxi performed some rather lax defending in most of regulation, but he should be recognized for filling in for KP in the last ten minutes of the game. 

KP (27 min) -- Kristaps was 6-18 from the field, and 0-7 from three. However, he got to the line for 11 FTAs and completed 10 of them. He also contributed 7 boards. Although he had three turnovers and fouled out in regulation, he was still, imo, the second-best Mav on the court, and tied THJ for second-highest scorer on the team with 22 points. As always, he was instrumental on defense. Just one of those weird situations where the stat sheet doesn't seem to reflect the player's contributions. 

Kings — De’Aaron Fox stood out for Sac with 28 points and 9 assists, along with Buddy Hield, who had 21 points off the bench. Bjelica torched Dallas with 12 points and 13 rebounds. Bazemore added sixteen points, and Richaun Holmes grabbed 12 boards, but ultimately fouled out. Sacramento won the bench battle 56-19. Ouch!

Remarks

Rick acknowledged that his team had a lot of mistakes in regulation, along with many missed open shots and layups, but commended them for their “grit” and considered this a “very special win.” Luka thought the team played poorly in the victory, and said their challenges have been rebuilding their chemistry after four months not playing together, along with defense, especially in transition. 

Not to be a downer, but this really was a pretty terrible display of basketball from both teams, and the Mavs can consider themselves lucky that the refs were not hesitant to use their whistles. If the team had gone on to lose, I was going to describe some of the worst parts, but given the win, I think it’s best to just put it behind us. 

One of the best things about this somewhat grotesque game was that Dallas appeared to find their clutch genes again. That is reason enough for a smile, and maybe it will give them a little confidence to know they can pull it out despite not playing their best. 

As we await the next game, we can take satisfaction that Luka is the youngest player in NBA history to have a 30/20/10 stat line, and the first guard to do so since Oscar Robertson in 1965. Truly incredible player!

Next. A potential preview of a playoff match between the Mavs and Clippers will take place on Thursday. Fasten your seat belts, Mavs fans! See you then!
Like Reply
On May 19, 2003 the Dallas Mavericks made 49 of 50 free throws in game one against the San Antonio Spurs. Eddie Najara missed the very first one and no one else missed. 49 straight free throws broke the NBA record of 39 straight. Free throw coach, Gary Boren said that was like Byron Nelson winning 11 straight PGA tour events. It will never be broken.

So, getting to the line for 50 free throws is pretty great. Making 39 of 50: Guys you are still well short of Filthy, Dirty, Nasty standards around here.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
Great summary, as always!
Like Reply
In the 1st half I was willing to trade THJ and DFS for a bag of chips. Both are probably playing the worst defense of their career right now. Thankfully Luka stepped up and carried the team. He embraced his role as the leader on both offense and defense. Keeping the Mavs in the game with his scoring and setting the tone on defense.

I don´t know if this video is available in all countries and it will probably be taken down soon.

But can someone please explain what THJ is doing at 0:30, 1:08 or 9:20?
First quarter and his lack of effort and awareness leads to 9 points for the Kings. And those are only the plays that lead to points for the Kings. He continued to make similar mistakes all game long. Kings obviously did not score every single time but even if THJ scored 50 it wouldn´t be enough to make up for his all time bad defense.
I always thought that he lacks defensive awareness and is a bad team defender but his effort and on ball D has been solid all season long. Maybe it´s the special situation in the bubble but if the Mavs want to win even one playoff game he really needs to step up.
Like Reply
I think it was important for the team to learn how to "win ugly". It's not as much fun for the fans, but that's what it will take to break through to contender status. Was it just last season DAL set a record for close game losses? So this is an important step in learning how to play as a team.

Luka was awesome, as everyone is/has acknowledging. He's proven to be worth everything traded to get him.

KP was OK. I liked that he started driving and cutting once it was obvious the 3pt shot wasn't falling (0-7). The SAC bigs kept trying to mug him all game, but he still kept working.

Maxi didn't have a stellar game, but he filled in well at the end for KP. I want to particularly note one play at the end where Fox drove to the left side of the restricted area and was met by Maxi, who just swallowed Fox up and forced a poor shot that sort of took the air out of SAC.

Everybody else was pretty much a cipher. 

This felt like one of the DAL-SAC games back in the early 2000s when they had Webber, Peja, Christie, Miller and Bibby. Didn't matter what the records were, you knew you were in for a scrap.
Like Reply
https://www.reddit.com/r/kings/

Reading their posts today makes me grateful to be a MFFL...the misery and pain is very evident since the player Divac passed on just had a historic night and they lost in OT...

https://twitter.com/Mavs_FFL/status/1290820911382265857
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 08:12 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: In the 1st half I was willing to trade THJ and DFS for a bag of chips. Both are probably playing the worst defense of their career right now. Thankfully Luka stepped up and carried the team. He embraced his role as the leader on both offense and defense. Keeping the Mavs in the game with his scoring and setting the tone on defense.

I don´t know if this video is available in all countries and it will probably be taken down soon.

But can someone please explain what THJ is doing at 0:30, 1:08 or 9:20?
First quarter and his lack of effort and awareness leads to 9 points for the Kings. And those are only the plays that lead to points for the Kings. He continued to make similar mistakes all game long. Kings obviously did not score every single time but even if THJ scored 50 it wouldn´t be enough to make up for his all time bad defense.
I always thought that he lacks defensive awareness and is a bad team defender but his effort and on ball D has been solid all season long. Maybe it´s the special situation in the bubble but if the Mavs want to win even one playoff game he really needs to step up.
Sorry to say that the lack of effort/focus was hard to believe in a Rick Carlisle team, and it wasn't just THJ and DFS. Heck, it wasn't even just the Mavs.  I'm at a loss to explain it. I guess the silver lining, if there is one, is that our boys did manage to step up at the end.  

Hopefully, coming through in the clutch will be some kind of springboard. If not, I guess we just enjoy Luka for the rest of the season.
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 08:12 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But can someone please explain what THJ is doing at 0:30, 1:08 or 9:20?

I will try. Mavs are used to switch everything when there is a screen. So in the first and third case THJ is going for a switch, but the other player is not. Therefor a Sac player was left completely open. Lack of communication and generaly bad defense. I noticed several times in this game Mavs are switching even if a screen is just faked, leading to mismatches.

Second case is an example of bad Mavs PnR defense. Center never goes up to help the guard fighting through a screen. This time THJ decided to go below leading to a wide open shot. If he would go above the screen, he would come behind his player leaving KP defend two guys. I said before, our PnR defense is bad. JaVales of the world always look monsters against Mavs.
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 04:27 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 08:12 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: But can someone please explain what THJ is doing at 0:30, 1:08 or 9:20?

I will try. Mavs are used to switch everything when there is a screen. So in the first and third case THJ is going for a switch, but the other player is not. Therefor a Sac player was left completely open. Lack of communication and generaly bad defense. I noticed several times in this game Mavs are switching even if a screen is just faked, leading to mismatches.

Second case is an example of bad Mavs PnR defense. Center never goes up to help the guard fighting through a screen. This time THJ decided to go below leading to a wide open shot. If he would go above the screen, he would come behind his player leaving KP defend two guys. I said before, our PnR defense is bad. JaVales of the world always look monsters against Mavs.
Thanks for this analysis, omahen. 

As you mention, these aren't isolated issues. What do you see as the best big-picture solution for these problems?

The defensive strategies aren't very good? Players need to be taught to communicate better? Players need to be taught to make better decisions? The scheme is the best they can do, given the roster, but they aren't going to do much better without higher-quality defensive personnel? Players have already been trained up, but they're just ignoring instructions/not paying attention? Some combination of various factors?
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 04:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: What do you see as the best big-picture solution for these problems?

Huh, this might be above my knowledge level. I'd say part of the fault is in the defensive scheme and principle. Switch everything strategy works between guys like THJ, DFS, Luka. They are similar height and strength so they can switch. But it is stupid to switch Burke-KP (or Maxi) when guarding Fox-Holmes. And I saw a couple of totally unnecessary switches of this kind. If Curry is playing, you also have to avoid switching. For example against Houston - Curry on Westbrook was always an automatic basket. I also think center should come higher when guarding opposing PnR. 

One thing I think we haven't seen in seeding games yet is zone defense. We did see some in friendlies.

Guys could also need more time together to really gel together on defensive end. Miscommunication might also be a consequence of not knowing each other enough. Check this thing of beauty, how GSW protected Curry. At 5:50. It took time to gel this good on defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQr54Toq5eA

The rest I think is in better defenders. We definitely need better on ball defender(s) - neither of our current guys is good at that. That's why guys like Harden and Westbrook are basically just waltzing towards a lay-up and 2 guys were needed to even marginally limit their one on one play.
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 04:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 04:27 PM)omahen Wrote:

Thanks for this analysis, omahen. 

As you mention, these aren't isolated issues. What do you see as the best big-picture solution for these problems?

The defensive strategies aren't very good? Players need to be taught to communicate better? Players need to be taught to make better decisions? The scheme is the best they can do, given the roster, but they aren't going to do much better without higher-quality defensive personnel? Players have already been trained up, but they're just ignoring instructions/not paying attention? Some combination of various factors?

I don´t know ho many times I have mentioned the Mavs defensive decline under Mosley but I will probably continue to do so until he is gone. He has been the defensive coordinator for the last two years and it seems like the entire team still  isn´t sure what they are supposed to do. They randomly go over/under, hedge/ice or switch the pick and roll.

I also noticed that the Mavs do not pre rotate nearly as much as the elite defensive teams like Miami, Boston or Toronto. Leading to less help defense around the rim.
It seems like the defensive focus is similar to the offensive one. 3-point shooting. Or in this case defending the 3-point line.
Watching Boston or the Rockets for example they have the weakside defender (ideall Smart and RoCo) playing free safety. Both have incredible instincts and can guard 1-4 or 1-5.
That´s the kind of player the Mavs are missing. We have a rim protector but we do not have an defensive anchor. Someone that quarterbacks the defense and covers the mistakes of his teammates.

(08-05-2020, 05:10 PM)omahen Wrote: Guys could also need more time together to really gel together on defensive end. Miscommunication might also be a consequence of not knowing each other enough. Check this thing of beauty, how GSW protected Curry. At 5:50. It took time to gel this good on defense.

Now we just need to upgrade the entire perimeter defense because right now we need to protect THJ, Doncic, Burke, Seth, Jackson and probably even DFS.
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 05:10 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 04:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: What do you see as the best big-picture solution for these problems?

Huh, this might be above my knowledge level. I'd say part of the fault is in the defensive scheme and principle. Switch everything strategy works between guys like THJ, DFS, Luka. They are similar height and strength so they can switch. But it is stupid to switch Burke-KP (or Maxi) when guarding Fox-Holmes. And I saw a couple of totally unnecessary switches of this kind. If Curry is playing, you also have to avoid switching. For example against Houston - Curry on Westbrook was always an automatic basket. I also think center should come higher when guarding opposing PnR. 

One thing I think we haven't seen in seeding games yet is zone defense. We did see some in friendlies.

Guys could also need more time together to really gel together on defensive end. Miscommunication might also be a consequence of not knowing each other enough. Check this thing of beauty, how GSW protected Curry. At 5:50. It took time to gel this good on defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQr54Toq5eA

The rest I think is in better defenders. We definitely need better on ball defender(s) - neither of our current guys is good at that. That's why guys like Harden and Westbrook are basically just waltzing towards a lay-up and 2 guys were needed to even marginally limit their one on one play.
Thanks, omahen. I always love your thoughtful observations. I will give more study to the video, which is very interesting. 

Thinking about your big picture points --

If their defensive schemes are bad, and they have the personnel to execute a better one, that would seem to be an issue with the head coach/defensive coordinator. 

Maybe they are saving the zone for the playoffs. Good point that they still have that to pull out of their hat. 

Agree that not gelling very well is an issue, and things like chemistry inherently take some time. In that regard, do you have any feel for whether many of these guys are likely to still be around in a season or two (so that the team would expect some benefit from letting them figure things out together for awhile)?

Agree with your comment on the on-ball defense. In certain ways, I think Houston is one of the hardest teams to guard in the league, but the issue extends beyond them. It also seems to me that our starting lineup is on the undersized/under-strength side for some matchups.
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 06:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: do you have any feel for whether many of these guys are likely to still be around in a season or two

I think they like the core and they will try to keep it together. Unless some great opportunity appears
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 07:30 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 06:38 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: do you have any feel for whether many of these guys are likely to still be around in a season or two

I think they like the core and they will try to keep it together.

Horrors. If the MBT truly doesn't realize that we only have two NBA playoff-quality starters, they should all be fired.
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 03:51 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Sorry to say that the lack of effort/focus was hard to believe in a Rick Carlisle team, and it wasn't just THJ and DFS. Heck, it wasn't even just the Mavs.  I'm at a loss to explain it.

Maybe Harp had it right in his commentary during the Houston game: defense in the bubble is honoring social distance rules Smile.
Like Reply
(08-05-2020, 07:30 PM)omahen Wrote:

I think they like the core and they will try to keep it together. Unless some great opportunity appears

I agree they like the core. I think there is a conscious decision to not give up continuity just to stir the pot, which is probably going to drive some fans crazy. To me, right now this feels like an early season game with everyone sort of finding their comfort zone. Remember Luka's eye-popping stats the first month, while everyone else was running hot and cold?

Referring to the earlier comments about guarding Hardin and Westbrook, it's a little unfair to use them as an example since they do what they do to every team they play. To me, the challenge is just trying to make them work for it without adding to their point totals by fouling. Ball denial and burning their shot clock seem to be effective at putting pressure on them to go to hero ball, and we all know how that usually works out.
Like Reply
(08-06-2020, 03:18 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: Maybe Harp had it right in his commentary during the Houston game: defense in the bubble is honoring social distance rules.
LOL
Like Reply