Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 115, Suns 117
Mavs Go Out With a Whimper in Disheartening Meltdown

There is so much disillusionment over this disappointing match that I think we won't try to approach its analysis in the usual format. 

Instead, maybe we'll concentrate on both the good and the bad, and see if there are any conclusions we can draw from the various strengths and weaknesses, at least as they appeared tonight. 

Let's start with the bad, so we can have the catharsis of our frustration, anger and sorrow. Then we can try to end with the less grim aspects of the game, and try to step back from the ledge instead of throwing ourselves off it. 

The Bad

Let's get it all out. 

Three-point shooting. Live by the three, die by the three. The Mavericks, who are normally a good shooting team from deep, shot a putrid 6 of 31 from beyond the arc. That would be 19%, friends. Pee-ew. Seth put three triples on the board, KP two, and Doe-Doe one. Other than that, it was a horror show.  THJ was a horrendous 0 for 8. At least Luka limited himself to three long shots, but he missed all of those. The bench was a collective 0 of 7. I'm at a loss to explain this stinker. 

Wright, Maxi, and Burke. This group played 59 of the bench's total 68 minutes. In that combined hour, they combined for 12 points, going 4-15 from the field, including 0-7 three-point attempts. In that same hour, they collectively contributed 8 rebounds, 3 assists, five steals, one block, 5 fouls, and a turnover. In a 2-point loss, they were -14. Defense was mediocre to nonexistent. Mistakes reared their ugly heads. They did a few good things, but overall, the Mavs have to get more out of their second unit. 

Tim Hardaway. A night to forget for the ex-Knick. Timmy is supposed to be the Mavs' third scoring option. He was 1 of 12  from the field, and never got to the line, ending with a measly 2 points. One of his missed shots was the last of the game, with a chance to win, but alas, another brick. If this is the version of Hardaway that we get going forward, we might as well just turn the lights off now. He did, weirdly, have 10 rebounds, so maybe there's hope for him yet. Such an uncharacteristically poor outing, surely it is an outlier. 

DFS.  Yuck. For some reason, Doe-Doe took 8 shots, hitting only two. One of those makes was, bizarrely, a fast-break pull-up three ending a lengthy Mavs scoring drought. It's great that he made it, but it was arguably a shot that might have earned him a trip to the bench if he hadn't. The man made mistake after mistake in the clutch. You can read all about it in that section of this post. Aargh. 

Third-quarter meltdown. 

According to Rick, the team played "very poorly" in the third, and that it was responsible for their undoing. A la Seth Myers, let's take a closer look. 

The Mavs entered the period with a 13-point lead, and were still looking good in the middle of the frame, when Suns stars Booker and Ayton had to take their places on the bench with 5 fouls each. Dallas appeared to be sitting pretty with an 11-point advantage at the 7:17 mark. Then, this meltdown occurred. 

7:01  Phoenix made three.  DFS missed three. 
6:32  Phoenix made three.  THJ offensive foul turnover. 
6:10  Phoenix dunk.           Wright missed three
5:51  Phoenix grabs two offensive rebounds, and scores a layup on the third try. KP splits a pair of free throws. 
5:14  Phoenix collects another offensive board, and tips it in. Wright missed three.
4:44  Wright fouls the shooter. Phoenix completes two free throws. 

Mavs were up 11 at 7:01. After a 14-1 Phoenix run in a little over two minutes by the Suns bench, for cripes' sake, Dallas is down 2 at 4:44. Really?

The team was not able to recover during the rest of the period, ending the frame trailing 92-96.

Clutch woes.

Same story, 18th verse. 

The Suns maintained their lead in the fourth, but at the 4:00 mark, Dallas had pulled within 2 points. 

3:59  Porzingis missed shot. 
3:44  DFS pushes Ayton in the back in retaliation for something Ayton did (hard to tell what on the replay). Doe-Doe is called for a flagrant, and the pair get double technicals. Ayton splits the free throws and Phoenix keeps possession. Suns grab two offensive rebounds, and then DFS fouls Booker on a three-point try. Booker makes all three free throws. Yikes. 
3:03  Luka called for an offensive foul turnover. Booker misses a shot. 
2:30  Hardaway missed three. Rubio also misses. 
2:01  Luka layup. Suns miss. 
1:26  Booker fouls out on DFS' rebound. 
1:18  Luka completes a floater. KP is called for an offensive foul. After an extensive review, DFS is deemed the culprit. Rubio hits both free throws. Mavs down 4 with 1:01 left and possession. 
0:40  Luka layup. KP with a clutch block of a Rubio shot. Mavs down 2 with possession and 22 seconds. Mavs take their final timeout. 
0:04  KP receives kick-out pass and misses the three. On the way out of bounds, the ball goes off the Suns, giving the Mavs another chance 
0:02  Luka gets to the rim and kicks out to THJ, who misses the three. Game over. 

Yikes. 

The Good

Yes, there really is some. 

The first half. Dallas was up 73-60 at halftime. The starters had combined for 59 points. They had 24 FTAs, and completed 22. Booker had 4 fouls, and Ayton had three. The Mavs appeared to be in firm control of the contest.

KP. Porzee continues to impress. He had 30 points, got to the line for 11 FTAs, grabbed 8 boards, and had a game-high 4 blocks, including a great stopper within the last minute. Also had some nice passes. In addition to the stats, I liked his disposition -- confident and aggressive. Looking more like a 1B than a number two. Instrumental on defense, and made an effort to take over when the team was struggling. 

Luka. Luka had 40 points on 11-20 shots. He tied his own record for free-throw attempts at 19, and completed 18 of those, which was a great improvement on his usual surprisingly mediocre performance at the stripe. He also recorded 11 assists and 8 boards. He played 38 minutes after being on the court for 42 against Houston, and was still upright at the end of the game. He was very conscious of feeding his teammates and keeping them involved. If anything, he might have been a little too unselfish, turning down good shots of his own to find a teammate, who didn't always reward the sacrifice. Did a beautiful job getting to the rim, despite the Suns' determined efforts to keep him out. The Luka-KP chemistry looking better. 

Seth. Curry recovered from his off night against the Rockets, and was the team's third-leading scorer with 16 points, including three triples. Defensively, he was a liability, but that partly comes with being undersized at his position. 

Boban. My boy Bobi played only 6 minutes, but racked up 8 points, 3 boards, and an assist in his brief appearance in the first half. His hijinks had the bench high-stepping and high-fiving, to the accompaniment of "cheers" from the virtual fans, lol. Would have enjoyed seeing him again in the second half, but it was not to be. 

Free throws. The Mavs earned 37 FTAs, and completed 33 (89%). The 4 missed free throws were more than the difference in the score at the end (grr), but the percentage is an improvement over their usual performance. On the flip side, they allowed only 23 chances at the stripe to the Suns. 

Taking care of the ball. The Mavs had 8 turnovers the whole game, surrendering only 6 points on those. 

Remarks

Carlisle was terse. Said he thought the first quarter was one of the best they had played. The second period was also good, although the defense could have been better. The third was terrible. The team did some good things in the fourth, but ultimately not enough. 

There is no way to get away from the fact that this was a bitterly disappointing loss, and one that is difficult to explain. Luka chalked it up to a lot of "little details." Maybe so. One of these days, the Mavs are going to get these collapses out of their system. It might not be this season, but one of these days. 

Next. Okay, Mavs fans. We've got to get back up and face Sac on Tuesday. Soldier on!
Like Reply
I actually might list our clutch performance in the good column in the last 3 minutes discounting refusing to attempt a two to avoid another overtime game. We gave ourselves chances at the end out of a bad situation that we wouldn't have even had without some good clutch play

Probably the biggest mistake is we got victimized by our own medicine here and underestimated the Suns' hungry bench players and let our foot off the gas when Ayton and Booker were out with foul trouble. Our scrubs have done this to other teams before several times already but this time it happened to us
Like Reply
The Houston loss had way more silver lining than this half long choke.  KP and Luka did what they had to do.  The real worrisome part is how inconsistent (besides Boban) everyone else is playing.  Things can and usually do turn around but this is a beat down of a bubble start.  I am sure the team is feeling mighty low right now.  I hope they can use that disgust to get things right.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 07:08 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: DFS.  Yuck.

Yeah for whatever reason his performance really jumped out to me as being bad.
Like Reply
Trey Burke was as bad this game as he was good the game before.  I don't understand why Coach would give him the freedom to ignore his teammates and call his own number after just one game with the team.  Letting Luka do what he wants is going to work out most of the time, but the rest of the team needs some structure.  I hope Rick is just feeling things out post restart and will start to do some actual coaching during games soon.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 07:37 AM)MrGoat Wrote: I actually might list our clutch performance in the good column in the last 3 minutes discounting refusing to attempt a two to avoid another overtime game. We gave ourselves chances at the end out of a bad situation that we wouldn't have even had without some good clutch play

Probably the biggest mistake is we got victimized by our own medicine here and underestimated the Suns' hungry bench players and let our foot off the gas when Ayton and Booker were out with foul trouble. Our scrubs have done this to other teams before several times already but this time it happened to us
I admire your ability to put a positive spin on this, MrG. 

Thanks for the optimistic outlook!
Like Reply
I am resigned to the fact that the Mavs might wind up facing the Clippers and getting their heads kicked in which could actually be a good thing. The Clips are a good measuring stick for any wannabe contender and if/when the Mavs get swept by the Clips they are likely to be more aggressive in the offseason.

The thing I would be concerned ab is the very real possibility Mavs face a team like the Nuggets or Jazz who are good but not quite contender status yet and over-perform, thus telling MBT that they only need to tinker around the edges. I am not into tinkering around the edges, tho I do like our team a lot. Mavs are at least one big move away from contention. If it takes getting embarrassed by the Clippers so be it.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 03:21 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am resigned to the fact that the Mavs might wind up facing the Clippers and getting their heads kicked in which could actually be a good thing. The Clips are a good measuring stick for any wannabe contender and if/when the Mavs get swept by the Clips they are likely to be more aggressive in the offseason.

The thing I would be concerned ab is the very real possibility Mavs face a team like the Nuggets or Jazz who are good but not quite contender status yet and over-perform, thus telling MBT that they only need to tinker around the edges. I am not into tinkering around the edges, tho I do like our team a lot. Mavs are at least one big move away from contention. If it takes getting embarrassed by the Clippers so be it.
Sounds good, but they never seem to learn their lessons.  They never seem interested in the mad dog type of physical players that they need to get out of their "softness" problem.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 01:59 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: Trey Burke was as bad this game as he was good the game before.  I don't understand why Coach would give him the freedom to ignore his teammates and call his own number after just one game with the team.  Letting Luka do what he wants is going to work out most of the time, but the rest of the team needs some structure.  I hope Rick is just feeling things out post restart and will start to do some actual coaching during games soon.

I noticed that too but I was so not surprised. I got enamored early on with Trey last year, but his propensity is to play hero ball at way too many of the wrong times. The first night, he fit into the offense. He took the shot he should have until his late insertion into the game. At that point he played some hero ball though not to bad. 

For Trey to be successful, he needs to use his skills, which appear to be quite good, to play well within the offense. He needs to do what THJ did. That is not impossible by any means. I have some hope for him because the guy can score aggressively and does play some defense for a guy his size. We will see. I suspect he is being coached succinctly as we speak.

(08-03-2020, 04:57 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 03:21 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I am resigned to the fact that the Mavs might wind up facing the Clippers and getting their heads kicked in which could actually be a good thing. The Clips are a good measuring stick for any wannabe contender and if/when the Mavs get swept by the Clips they are likely to be more aggressive in the offseason.

Sounds good, but they never seem to learn their lessons.  They never seem interested in the mad dog type of physical players that they need to get out of their "softness" problem.
I totally disagree with the getting swept part. It is far more important that we win at least one game and compete well in all of our playoff games. It is important that our returning players grow and gaining confidence is important. 

To address the not be satisfied legitimate point, I think it is better that win or lose, we truly learn what weaknesses we need to fix the most. We learn the most in a truly competitive playoff game, win or lose. Some things, internal improvement can only do so much as we all seem to know well. But which area of improvement is truly most needed becomes most apparent in a good, close playoff series. The Clippers, Nuggets etc are all plenty good enough to teach us what we need to know, both in team personnel building and in individual player improvement.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
Maxi is interviewed, says the team is still making a lot of "stupid mistakes." 

Includes himself as one of the guilty parties, citing his "weak" boxing out.

Meanwhile, KP says he doesn't imagine the fans are very entertained by all their complaining to the refs. 

They say the first step to solving a problem is recognizing you have one.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 06:14 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Maxi is interviewed, says the team is still making a lot of "stupid mistakes." 

Meanwhile, KP says he doesn't imagine the fans are very entertained by all their complaining to the refs. 

Still patient but at some point they have to back up the talk on the floor. Same for RC who takes responsibility for every single loss and questions some of his decisions.
Good example. Every single time the topic of Boban comes up he admits that they are thinking about more minutes for him. Next game Boban gets a few minutes in first half and is benched for the entire second half again.
As I said right now I still trust RC and the team but at some point the fans and media will ask for more than just hollow phrases.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 06:25 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 06:14 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Maxi is interviewed, says the team is still making a lot of "stupid mistakes." 

Still patient but at some point they have to back up the talk on the floor. Same for RC who takes responsibility for every single loss and questions some of his decisions.
Good example. Every single time the topic of Boban comes up he admits that they are thinking about more minutes for him. Next game Boban gets a few minutes in first half and is benched for the entire second half again.
As I said right now I still trust RC and the team but at some point the fans and media will ask for more than just hollow phrases.
I agree with that. 

Rick was also interviewed, and went on for a while about how they are aware of the problems and "gotta play better." With due respect to Rick, that seems to me like a lot of verbal pablum designed to brush the reporter off. 

If we're looking for some hope, I think mentioning specific items that specific individuals should improve (Maxi's boxing out, e.g.) is at least a particular thing that they can work on, as opposed to "play better."

It also seemed to me that KP was taking a bit of a shot at Luka for getting distracted by the refs. 

Maybe I'm just looking for a straw to grasp, lol.
Like Reply
These games are just highlighting that the Mavs need another elite shot creator to help Luka when he is the focus of the defense.
In hindsight I guess that is why they were gunning for Kemba last offseason.
Dragic may be an ok fill-in if that is all they can add in the offseason.

It is also showing that they do need a third star level player so consolidating some of the starter\bench level players and draft picks into a third star should be a high priority.
Waiting for Giannis would be a bad move (see the last 20 offseason).
The cap level is going to be very dynamic over the next few seasons so who knows how much space the Mavs will have.
Plus with the cap potentially going down or not moving for 2-3 seasons superstar players may be even more inclined to take short deals.

What they can get for a package of Wright, Brunson, DFS, 2020 1st and 2nd is the big question.
Maxi seems like the ideal big off the bench but they may have to include him to get another star level player.
Better hope a team decides to blow up and trade out some players or some stars ask for trades.
Ideal would be Beal but if he goes on the market Wizards should be able to get a lot more then what the Mavs can offer.
ie GSW with Wiggins, 2020 top 5 pick and future picks.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 07:08 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: ....

Boban. My boy Bobi played only 6 minutes, but racked up 8 points, 3 boards, and an assist in his brief appearance in the first half. His hijinks had the bench high-stepping and high-fiving, to the accompaniment of "cheers" from the virtual fans, lol. Would have enjoyed seeing him again in the second half, but it was not to be. 

(08-03-2020, 06:25 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Good example. Every single time the topic of Boban comes up he admits that they are thinking about more minutes for him. Next game Boban gets a few minutes in first half and is benched for the entire second half again.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
I assume it has something to do with how many open 3s the other team gets with Boban on the court.
But his plus/minus was +7 in the Houston game and even in the Suns game so can't have been that bad on defense.

Letting him do 6 hard fouls on Harden when he drives would also be fine with me.
Harden gets the foul call no matter what so make him earn it.
Like Reply

I'm actually impressed that you are worried that the Mavs will over-perform! But I like the optimism!

I agree that it's possible to enjoy the rest of the season, mostly by being clear-eyed about where the team is. They don't appear anywhere close to contender status, but that's the way it virtually always is with a young team in its second year. 

They have already accomplished this season's goal, which was to make the playoffs. Agree that they are in a position, in this relatively pressure-free stub season, to get a reality check on where they stand, and to get the experience of playing game after game in an intense environment against superior competition. I would really like to see them win at least a game or two in a series, so that they can gain a sense of confidence about their strengths, in addition to dwelling on their weaknesses.

My hope is that we will see a visible improvement next season, as we did this season. Luka, KP, and some of the others are in places in their careers where leaps are likely. And maybe the roster will be upgraded in the offseason, at least at a position or two. I also agree that the Mavs FO must maintain a sense of realism about what they have and what they need, and I think any of the teams above them in the standings would be a good enough opponent to shine a light on whatever deficiencies need addressing. 

Interesting thoughts!
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 06:14 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: KP says he doesn't imagine the fans are very entertained by all their complaining to the refs.

Jordan in the Last Dance series talked about how the Bulls were never going to get over the hump until they stopped complaining and letting the other team or the refs get to them (like against the Pistons). I 100% agree. Luka has to get past that but it might take some significant time of emotional maturing.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 09:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 06:14 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: KP says he doesn't imagine the fans are very entertained by all their complaining to the refs.

Jordan in the Last Dance series talked about how the Bulls were never going to get over the hump until they stopped complaining and letting the other team or the refs get to them (like against the Pistons). I 100% agree. Luka has to get past that but it might take some significant time of emotional maturing.
I didn't know that about MJ. Interesting. 

All the superstars work the refs, but I agree that Luka can get distracted over it to the point that he's not paying enough attention to the game. I think it is probably a good thing that KP is wiling to gently call him out on it, so he's aware that he's letting down his teammates, and not just the coach, when he allows that to happen. Agree that it should improve with growing up and constructive commentary.
Like Reply
To be fair, the culture of the NBA has changed from the late 80s and that tougher culture. The top dogs are whiners in the NBA, BUT I think Luka has to get it under control to turn a corner.
Like Reply
(08-03-2020, 11:14 PM)Kammrath Wrote: To be fair, the culture of the NBA has changed from the late 80s and that tougher culture. The top dogs are whiners in the NBA, BUT I think Luka has to get it under control to turn a corner.
Indubitably.
Like Reply