Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling Out the Good DrMav
Good morning, sir. 

I appreciate your contribution to us Mavs fans, but something non-Mavs caught my attention.  I'm a FW resident, drive through campus down University back and forth to work and I took my 5 year old son to visit Schollmaier and see a game a few weeks ago. You are sporting a particular Purple logo as your avatar these days. 

I've only been in FW for a few years and am starting to warm up a bit to my adopted home town team. I coached my sons 5 year old bball team and even gave a nod to the Frogs in our team name.

Just wanted to extend you the forum. How did that big win feel? Do we need a thread dedicated to purple amphibians?
Like Reply
Hey there Fif!

While that win over Baylor felt great, I'll be honest I didn't actually watch as I was at the movies with my family. Never would have given us a chance this year cause it has been down compared to the last couple, but just shows anything can happen. My brother also went to Baylor which adds to the fun of any game between the two schools for us. 

I really don't get to watch a ton of Horned Frog basketball games, but I also don't make it a priority like I do for the Mavs and Frogs football teams.  Seems kinda strange since basketball is my favorite sport, but I guess since I really started enjoying sports I liked the Mavs and the NBA in general more than NCAA. If I had to rank my favorite teams and sports priorities it would probably go something like this:

Tier 1: Will watch every game unless there is a big family event or I can't get out of work
1) Mavs
2) Horned Frog Football

Tier 2: Plan to watch every game, but if there is a conflict will miss it
3) Cowboys

Tier 3: Put it on my calendar to remind myself, but probably watch only a handful of games a year
4) Horned Frog basketball

Tier 4: I'm a "fan" but don't have time to watch unless it's a big game or playoffs
5) Rangers
6) Stars

I think my ranking list probably shapes up the way it does for a few reasons:
- Neither of my parents went to big schools and weren't fans of either UT or A&M, so I never latched onto a college team growing up but gravitated towards the local Pro teams
- Basketball has always been my favorite sport followed by Football. I used to like Baseball a lot more, but have lost interest the older I've gotten.
- When I actually went to TCU, our football team was great but the basketball team was really bad. We were also in the Mountain West so never really had great BBall games on campus to make it worth physically going over there but I probably missed only a couple of home Football games in my 4 years.

So that's kind of a log and rambling answer, but to get back on topic, the win was great even though I didn't get to watch. I love TCU and hope that someday we become more consistently a better team which may give me more incentive to make time to watch them, even if that makes me somewhat of a fair weather fan.  If I ever move back closer that would probably help as well.

On that note, one of the biggest things that holds TCU back is the relatively small alumni base in a state with multiple big schools. Even with great facilities, resources, coaching, etc it's easy for TCU to feel "small time" to big recruits that may have other great options and want to play in the spotlight. TCU has really needed to try and develop itself as the community team to get local support in order to get more of that big time feel, so I sincerely thank you for your support of the team!
Like Reply
Thanks for responding! Looks like our collective Frog Fandom is low level enough that this thread will probably fade into the abyss. But I thought I'd at least check in with ya. I think Dan S. goes to some Frog's game too actually. I do hope they get really good at some point. It'd be fun to see the city get behind them. Although, the football team has been good enough that you'd think the town would get a little more Frog crazy. I think DFW just has so many sports rooting interests already that it's tough for SMU and TCU to get as much support as towns that pretty much just have their school.
Like Reply
(03-05-2020, 04:37 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think Dan S. goes to some Frog's game too actually.  

Yes.  In fact, my watching tiers are very much in alignment with what the Dr. wrote except Tier 3 is more about watching an NBA prospect from another school than watching TCU per se.   

Both of my kids graduated TCU and both live and work in FW.  We are there to visit often.  In fact, my wife is there now and I'll be joining for dinner Friday night as I have a meeting in the area Saturday morning.
Like Reply