Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Bulls 109
(03-04-2020, 06:51 AM)dmavs4life03 Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 10:45 PM)duboh7 Wrote: With about 50 pts sitting-out, there's no doubt we were going to struggle a bit,  But, in addition it didn't look out guys were mentally sharp.  Then add CHI Bench = 60 v. MAVS Bench= 19.  Ouch!! can't win with that.

There a players on the bench who unfortunately have been deemed 0s offensively by the coach because they cant make 3s. Boban who is shaqlike with pure size/power in the paint scores and boards over anyone with ease and requires an instant double to keep outta position/from catching the ball, and changes the dynamic of the floor with his presence alone....
Some better screens from bigs that roll and finish hard at the hoop could change things, as could more size to better the defensive/rebounding capabilities of the group but Rick is stubborn. I made a joke in a game thread a while back saying we could have prime Shaq on this team and Rick wouldn't play him because he cant shoot 3s. Huh

...  All good teams have a lineup they can grind on teams..... especially when the shots aren't falling, we just keep shooting. If that's the coaching scheme, well you guys see why I'm no fan of Rick.

The Boban story was one of the prime things I wanted to follow this season along with obvious major stories of Luka Wonderboy and KP Unicorn.  A lot of interesting stories in the Mavs season, fun to watch but the part where they can't hold leads well and don't seem to be able to shift gears is not so much fun to watch over and over.  

I've seen the way Rick Carlisle likes to use or not use his centers and I knew Boban was not his type of 5 man for his system. 
It seems guys like Derek Harper and now Jason Terry are thinking like I have that he's being underutilized. 

Boban is a give some and take more type player.  Problem is for Rick Carlisle not just that Boban is not a 3 point shooter (although there are some signs he could shoot it with attempts) but Coach has said he thinks the defensive end of the floor is the problem. 

I get that, especially in a PnR heavy league like this but the fact is Marjonovic is so effective offensively that he could offset the defensive hole if used deliberately at the right times.   In my view when the team needs to hold a lead, especially with time running down, the high powered offense too often goes cold just long enough to lose a lead and lose a game.  
It would seem to make sense in those spots that a guy that the other team has to work so hard to stop is very helpful.  
A team trying to come back has to both score on you AND get consecutive stops to complete the comeback. 

Anyway, that's not in the Carlisle strategy book from what I can tell so as you said the Mavericks just don't have that "Grind on them rotation" when the situation gets tight.  They just have to hope the 3 pointers keep falling.  Its all miss or make without a high percentage grind mode. 

Quote:All good teams have a lineup they can grind on teams..... especially when the shots aren't falling, we just keep shooting. If that's the coaching scheme, well you guys see why I'm no fan of Rick.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Bulls 109 - by Dahlsim - 03-04-2020, 02:27 PM