Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 111, Wolves 91
Luka-Less Mavs Smash Wolves in Minnesota

The Mavericks had a comfortable victory over the struggling Wolves in an afternoon game, despite missing several players. 

Game Story and Analytics

The Mavs held Luka out of this game to give his sore hand a chance to recover. Brunson was still out with his shoulder injury. WCS missed the game for personal reasons, but was expected to re-join the team in Chicago. A new starting lineup began the game -- Curry/Wright/THJ/DFS/KP. 

Not much of a story arc to this one. The per quarter differentials were +4, +15, -3, +4. That pretty much tells it all. Dallas made a big push in the second quarter, and maintained for the rest of the game. The Wolves made a few li'l runs, but nothing to speak of. 

The key to this game was shooting efficiency inside the arc -- 61%-40%. The Mavs were generally putrid from deep (27%), but so were their opponents (31%). Dallas counted six missed free throws, and the Wolves topped them with nine. The visitors also earned 21 points off Minny turnovers. Let's face it, the Wolves were beaten by a better team.

Players

Porzingis (37 min) was transcendent, stunning the opposition with 38 points, 6 threes, 13 boards, and 5 blocks. He was the first player in NBA history with a combined points-threes-blocks stat line that high. Carlisle said that his 38 points, while amazing, said only about 1/4 of what he meant for this game. The coach praised his "phenomenal" defensive contributions, noting that KP altered shots, blocked shots, rebounded, saved shots, and generally put on a defensive clinic. He opined that Porzee's "spectacular" performance showed him as an exemplar of the future of the center position -- a long player who can shoot threes, drive the lane, pass, protect the rim, rebound, and demonstrate a superior understanding of the game. This young star has really come into his own, and his display in this match was a privilege to watch. 

Wright (32 min) was a surprise start. He struggled from the floor (2-9), but recorded 8 rebounds, 6 assists, and 3 steals, and competently ran the offense in Luka's absence. I wonder if we will start to see a little more of Wright in the starting unit. More on that later. 

Hardaway (32 min) acquitted himself well, as usual, with 19 points, 6 boards, and 2 steals. Carlisle "loved" his game, and reminded his audience that when Luka is not on the court, Tim is equally as important a playmaker as a scorer. 

DFS (31 min) had another quietly impactful performance, per the coach. He put up 9 points, 11 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals and a block, demonstrating a complete game. Rick thought his dunk to end the first half and a block on Reid were particularly effective momentum plays, and the coach commended DFS and KP for "locking up the basket." We always expect good defense out of Doe Doe, but it seems to me that he might also be starting to establish a bit of an offensive game (4-6 tonight). That would be a powerful development. 

Curry (30 min) had another breathtaking performance, with 27 points on 11-17 shooting. This guy is dead-ly. If he can sustain anything like his productivity of late, he will no longer stand in Steph's shadow, or anybody else's. The FSSW studio crew also praised his defense, noting that he keeps a hand in the passing lanes, covers great shooters, helps on double-teams and post plays, and boxes out. A complete game from the nimble guard. 

Bench. Hmm. Hard to identify from game to game who the bench even is these days. Courtney Lee (21 min) got a rare substantial runout, and had 4 points and 4 rebounds. Jackson (20 min) anchored the +/- column at -13. Barea (17 min) was 2-8 from the floor, but contributed 7 assists. Maxi (16 min) had a quiet game, and led the bench with 8 boards. MKG and Boban got a couple of garbage minutes. 

All of the reserves together combined for 14 points, 17 rebounds, 10 assists, and 6 turnovers. Not so long ago, the Mavericks could boast of the bench as a team strength. They have suffered the knock-on effects of Powell's injury, along with various other player absences. What has become clear to me over this period is how much this group depends on Seth Curry to anchor the unit. When he moves to the starting lineup, they struggle mightily to score. If this continues, I wonder if we will see a more Jet-type sixth-man role for Curry in the playoffs. 

How would that look? The reserves might play around 10 mpg in the postseason, so Seth could hold down those minutes, and maybe Wright or Maxi could fill in ten minutes or so with the starters, a la DeShawn Stevenson. A lot of water still has to flow under the bridge before they have to cross it, and there are a number of ways to address the issue, but this back-up unit is broken, and something will have to give. 

Wolves. This Minnesota team was far from impressive, and I wondered numerous times if a stronger team would have punished the Mavs a little more for their mistakes. Yikes.

Remarks

Carlisle complimented his depleted squad on their "terrific effort," and thought the key to the victory was the solid defense. 

The Mavs had some brilliant individual performances, and those kept the game interesting, As a contest, though, it was pretty much of a laugher. The Wolves were overmatched, and it showed. I don't think this one merits much deep analysis, and I think we can just enjoy going home with another win. That is six out of the last nine, friends, notwithstanding a number of injury concerns. Excellent!

Next. The Mavericks end the road trip in Chicago on Monday. Brunson will still be out, and it is TBD whether Luka or KP will play on the SEGABABA. WCS should be available, and his return will be welcome. 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
Great synopsis, as usual, thanks!  I just wish I could be as optimistic about Wright, and I was all about Wright early in the season.  To me, he just looks worse and worse as the season rolls on.  Brunson's return, whenever that is, will be a big help for our point guard contingent.
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 10:53 PM)mtrot Wrote: Great synopsis, as usual, thanks!  I just wish I could be as optimistic about Wright, and I was all about Wright early in the season.  To me, he just looks worse and worse as the season rolls on.

Couldn't agree more. More and more he reminds me of DSJ. He just looks lost on offense. And pelase mind, this was against "no defense" T-Pups
Like Reply
(03-01-2020, 10:53 PM)mtrot Wrote: Great synopsis, as usual, thanks!  I just wish I could be as optimistic about Wright, and I was all about Wright early in the season.  To me, he just looks worse and worse as the season rolls on.  Brunson's return, whenever that is, will be a big help for our point guard contingent.
I hear you on Wright. 

It may be that I am overreacting to the bench's collapse in the last several games, and that, when/if the players are all healthy and available, that unit will stabilize on its own. I hope so. 

However, Powell is not coming back this season, and part of the problem is other guys having to step into situations where they are not completely comfortable. The longer this debacle goes on, the more I have tried to puzzle out some solutions that would fill the gap caused by Powell's absence without devastating the bench. The bench won't play long minutes in the playoffs, and there is room for some creative tinkering, which is Rick's specialty. 

Using Wright in the starting unit for a few minutes is one option, and was a jumping-off spot from something they were doing in this game. Anyone looks better next to Luka, and that would presumably apply to Delon. Staggering KP and Luka is an option, and I look for that to happen in the playoffs -- it's a solution that Rick has used in postseasons. We could go on. But it is clear at this point that the reserves HAVE to include a player with substantial scoring punch, and if it means you have to use Curry there, the starting unit can probably stand his loss for a few minutes better than the bench can.
Like Reply
Thanks mavsluvr. I look forward to your thread each game. As for the bench, my first thought was how important Jalen Brunson turned out to be followed by how much less effective JJ Barea has been able to be with this group. 

The return of Brunson, if he is still effective with his shoulder and WCS offers hope. They both do good things that could earn some amount of minutes during this playoff run and the playoffs. 

I did notice that Delon Wright did what Rick asked him to do; run the offense, with much success from the point of the overall offense. Passing the ball to KP looked a lot like passing the ball to Dirk always did: guaranteed assist. He has been totally unable to run the bench groups offense lately so using him with the starters was a great idea to try. We need one of our more physically gifted small guys to contribute so if this works out, great! Young Mr. Wright would not be the first Maverick player to be a bit lost who later found himself. My point is .... we need Delon Wright to contribute.

Great points above. Keep it up.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply