Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do w/ Dwight Powell and his $33M?
(02-12-2020, 12:42 PM)Lukasmom Wrote: Expect his game to fall off ala Wes Matthews when he comes back late next year.

Wes Matthews started 50 games for a 46-7 team at his age 33. Useless player Smile His only problem was that his contract was way too generous as he just isn't a star. Other than that he is (and was) a totally solid player.
Like Reply
(02-11-2020, 01:44 PM)Magickian Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 12:20 AM)Lucky Luciano Wrote: Powell was the second most important person on the court for the Mavs this year so far. He was playing way above his contract value in our system while healthy.

He was in the 100th percentile as a roll man only to be challenged by Gobert every so often. His effect gave Luka the opportunity to get 1 or 2 large steps closer to the basket thus his success as one of the best to finish at the basket in the league this year. When he doesn't have the respect of the defense on the switch they get in front of Luka and he tends to take more step back 3s. Obviously you do not watch the games or you'd be able to see Powell's value.

JJ came back strong after his injury last year and he's way out of his athletic prime and the same was said about him last year. I'm sure Powell will come back even stronger than he was this year and return to our regular basketball activities.

We're not trading Powell. Op is filled with Powell hatred lmao. Silly post.
I usually am one to be on your side about these things with our guys. I tend to take up for them more, and express the value of patience and seeing all angles of their value to the team. 

Powell I get is great for the locker room, I also get some of the points you bring up, and can see some of the validity of this argument ringing true. I will concede there is some truth in there...

I just think that his negatives on the court outweigh the positives you mention. Maybe outweigh isn't the best word... but rather... his negatives are just enough, that it makes his positives less valuable, and therefore he has never been worth the money he got, and I have always been against his first and then second contract.

I can completely understand your point and appreciate your reasonable and thought provoking response as apposed to some of the less articulate posts that just blurt out random hatred lol. You've never been a poster like that and I appreciate your response to mine so let me do my best to return my thoughts.

I love Powell and what he brings to the team but I am most certainly not blind to his weaknesses. He definitely gets bullied on defense and his defense all around is mediocre at best and we all want a guy who can play good defense at every position on the court. He's always been a subpar rebounder for his size and play style as well and he tends to play softer than his actual size and strength show. Those are real issues when you watch his game and if you focus on those more so than the good things he does out on the court you could be left feeling underwhelmed at times.

I have that similar feeling with THJ. I love how everyone here is on board with him and thinks amazing of him and I am just a little behind in that area so I understand how others could feel a little behind on Powell on what his impact was this year.

I guess my only issue is there is so many posts with little to no substance just whining about how bad every player is and the coach and the franchise and the owner and the gm is awful at trading, and it gets a little troublesome to respect everyone's opinion. Thing is you'd think you'd want to respect everyone's opinion here cause were kind of like brothers in a way who all have a strong bond with these Mavericks.

I don't post as much but I try to consciously bring something to the table in my posts and ignore the posts that don't bring much to the discussion but I felt compelled to tap in here this time lol.

Btw Magic I am very appreciative again for you and the other mods for giving us another home to enjoy Mavs basketball and news (Gratitude)
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 01:11 PM)omahen Wrote: Wes Matthews started 50 games for a 46-7 team at his age 33. Useless player Smile His only problem was that his contract was way too generous as he just isn't a star. Other than that he is (and was) a totally solid player.

Matthews did fall off though, he never came close to his POR form. Plus, MIL was a 60 win, championship caliber team before Matthews. He is also only making minimum money. This is not the same thing. 

Mavs are paying $11M/yr of starting money to an eventual bench player with a limited skill set on a 7th-8th seed caliber team. Bad deals are how you stay stagnant.
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 01:11 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 12:42 PM)Lukasmom Wrote: Expect his game to fall off ala Wes Matthews when he comes back late next year.

Wes Matthews started 50 games for a 46-7 team at his age 33. Useless player Smile His only problem was that his contract was way too generous as he just isn't a star. Other than that he is (and was) a totally solid player.
Antoine Wright once started 53 games on a team that won 50 games and a playoff series.  Wes Matthews is probably better than Wright was, but not everyone who plays on a good team is a good player.  I could not disagree more with the assessment that Wes Matthews was a solid player while in Dallas.  Maybe he was a solid dude who tried his best in a role he wasn't suited for, but he was anything but solid on the court.
Like Reply
(02-12-2020, 06:49 PM)Benskix2 Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:11 PM)omahen Wrote:

Wes Matthews started 50 games for a 46-7 team at his age 33. Useless player Smile His only problem was that his contract was way too generous as he just isn't a star. Other than that he is (and was) a totally solid player.
Antoine Wright once started 53 games on a team that won 50 games and a playoff series. Wes Matthews is probably better than Wright was, but not everyone who plays on a good team is a good player. I could not disagree more with the assessment that Wes Matthews was a solid player while in Dallas. Maybe he was a solid dude who tried his best in a role he wasn't suited for, but he was anything but solid on the court.

In his defense, he was gloriously fantastic at commanding the tank when allowed to do so.
Like Reply