Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 116, Hornets 100
Mavs Sting Hornets in Charlotte

With a much needed bounce-back win, the Mavericks keep their two-game limit on losing streaks alive for the season. Looked like an entirely different team than the one that played the night before. That's a good thing. 

Game Story

Luka and Powell were still out, and KP took the night off for load management purposes. The starting lineup was Brunson/THJ/DFS/KP/WCS.

Both sides came out flat, combining to miss three of their first seventeen shots. The Mavs woke up at some point and went on to hold the Hornets to 10 points in the period -- a season low for points allowed in a quarter. Dallas, fueled by a 12-point frame from Seth, had 31.

They maintained their lead through the half, and increased it by eight in the third. Our boys had a game-high 31-point margin early in the fourth, but Devonte Graham came alive and led the Hornets to a 35-22 advantage in the period. The Mavericks had enough of a cushion to survive comfortably. 

The Hornets never led, and the game was pretty much of a laugher throughout. 

Analytics

This game was won on the basis of Dallas' fiery three-point shooting. They had 17 treys, and were 49% from downtown. They ended up +18 on points from threes, -2 on made free throws, and dead even on points from twos. The possession game was essentially a wash, with the Mavs having an 8-board edge in offensive rebounds, and the Hornets with the advantage in points off turnovers (19-12) and fast breaks (16-9). 

The Mavs showed out surprisingly well on defense, especially in the first quarter, and executed their ball-movement offense beautifully, with 29 of their 44 made baskets assisted. They were also 11-11 from the line. 

Players

Seth (28 min) was amazing. He led the team in scoring for the second game in a row, with 26 points off the bench. Those included six threes, and he was 10-14 from the field. Just for good measure, he added 6 rebounds, 3 assists, a steal, and a block to his box score line. Playing in his home town arena, with Mom and Dad in attendance, the nimble guard put on a fireworks display. At one point in the game, he was 10-10, including a remarkable shot from the logo. He also had the Play of the Day, which was a looong downcourt pass in traffic to WCS for a dunk. Thrilling to see him have such a great night.

Carlisle emphasized how important Seth has been to the team this season. He is not only a shooter, but also a driver, playmaker, and underrated defender -- truly a special player, all per the coach. To put a cherry on top, Seth's flaming night resulted in his becoming the league's most accurate active career 3-point shooter, passing one Steph Curry for the honor. Congrats, Seth, you did us proud!

WCS (25 min) had his best game as a Maverick, recording 15 points, 10 boards, and 2 blocks, and earning a game-high +25 in the +/- column. It looked like he is coming along well in picking up the Mavs' system and understanding what the team needs from him. 

If there has been a knock on Willie around the league, it has been a question of whether he really has the motor to be an impactful NBA player. Ceballos speculated that WCS might be more motivated to run hard and get down the floor in Dallas than he used to be in his Sacramento days, because here, the guards actually pass to him when he rolls. Indeed, he completed a number of those plays, accelerating to the basket and going a perfect 7-7 from the field. He had some flashy dunks, which are always exciting, but I was even more impressed with a kick-out to THJ for a three. Playmaker!

It's just one night, but if Trill can play like this on any kind of consistent basis, that would be big for Dallas. Let's keep an eye on it.

In the honorable mention department, THJ had 14 points and 5 assists. Bobi put up 11 points and 6 rebounds in 13 minutes, and it is always a hoot to see him execute his signature standstill dunk while gazing blandly at the guy trying to guard him. 

Hornets. Graham led the team with 26 points and 10 assists, and kept the Mavs humble in the fourth. This Charlotte team does not look very good, tbh. 

Remarks

Carlisle was pleased with his team's performance, especially after the previous night's clunker. He labeled the defense "terrific," especially in the first period. The squad played "the right way," and with "great effort."

There aren't many bones to pick in this one. It was encouraging to see the group resume its usual road mentality, especially with both Luka and KP out. I like it.

Next. The Mavs face Utah at the AAC on Monday. That promises to be more of a test. Rick said they hope that Luka will be able to play in that game or the next, but no promises. 

Go Mavs!

Like Reply
(02-08-2020, 11:59 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Carlisle emphasized how important Seth has been to the team this season. He is not only a shooter, but also a driver, playmaker, and underrated defender -- truly a special player, all per the coach. To put a cherry on top, Seth's flaming night resulted in his becoming the league's most accurate active career 3-point shooter, passing one Steph Curry for the honor. Congrats, Seth, you did us proud!

Seth is generally WAY underrated on this board. He has not had a good year from an on/off perspective, but he brings so many things to the table that this team desperately needs. I think it could be argued that he is the team's third most important player.
Like Reply
If Luka comes back...I suggest he pass to our flame thrower a lot. I agree, Seth is recently fitting into this team better and better. He seems to be improving several skills as a player in addition to his scoring. I don't care if he starts but quality play off the bench with extended minutes might turn out to be a great role for Seth.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
I think, if we could ever get everyone healthy, that you can see how Carlisle might run the rotation in the post-Powell era.  Brunson and Wright already do a pretty good job running the team when Luka sits.  Seth and WCS are important elements as they keep things going when KP and THJ sit.  If we get MKG, he’s the multi-positional defender who plays the DFS role from the bench.

Luka, THJ, DFS, Maxi and KP start

Seth and WCS are first off the bench.  Carlisle likes to play KP and THJ together with the second unit when he can.  So, they sit and Luka, Maxi and DFS stay with Seth and WCS.  Seth is instant O off the bench and (hopefully) WCS brings an infusion of energy while maintaining KP’s rim protection.

Then, Brunson, Wright and MKG come in to replace Luka, Maxi and DFS.  This gives an all-bench look for a few transitional minutes (JB, Seth, Wright, MKG and WCS).  This is a pretty short line.  Good players and plenty of ball movement, but not enough floor spacing.  

Then KP and THJ replace Seth and WCS (JB, Wright, THJ, MKG and KP).  This fixes the floor spacing issue

and then the other starters come back to rejoin KP and THJ.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 04:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think, if we could ever get everyone healthy, that you can see how Carlisle might run the rotation in the post-Powell era. Brunson and Wright already do a pretty good job running the team when Luka sits. Seth and WCS are important elements as they keep things going when KP and THJ sit. If we get MKG, he’s the multi-positional defender who plays the DFS role from the bench.

Seth and WCS are first off the bench. Carlisle likes to play KP and THJ together with the second unit when he can. So, they sit and Luka, Maxi and DFS stay with Seth and WCS. Seth is instant O off the bench and (hopefully) WCS brings an infusion of energy while maintaining KP’s rim protection.

Then, Brunson, Wright and MKG come in to replace Luka, Maxi and DFS. This gives an all-bench look for a few transitional minutes (JB, Seth, Wright, MKG and WCS). This is a pretty short line. Good players and plenty of ball movement, but not enough floor spacing.

Then KP and THJ replace Seth and WCS (JB, Wright, THJ, MKG and KP). This fixes the floor spacing issue

Don't know about rotations, but if we get MKG, I think it's best that he start (probably not getting more than 20 mpg). I think he would be best in something of a Powell role if Powell were a wing. We didn't ask Powell to shoot threes (this board begged him not to...) but he was effective with picks. Start Luka, THJ, MKG, DFS, and KP. Good defense around Luka, plenty of scoring with Luka and KP, with MKG cutting and THJ and DFS ready to race behind the arc for a Luka assist and everyone but DFS crashing the offensive boards. Then your bench is a solid Brunson, Seth, Wright, Maxi, and WCS.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 11:46 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-09-2020, 04:04 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I think, if we could ever get everyone healthy, that you can see how Carlisle might run the rotation in the post-Powell era.  Brunson and Wright already do a pretty good job running the team when Luka sits.  Seth and WCS are important elements as they keep things going when KP and THJ sit.  If we get MKG, he’s the multi-positional defender who plays the DFS role from the bench.

Seth and WCS are first off the bench.  Carlisle likes to play KP and THJ together with the second unit when he can.  So, they sit and Luka, Maxi and DFS stay with Seth and WCS.  Seth is instant O off the bench and (hopefully) WCS brings an infusion of energy while maintaining KP’s rim protection.

Then, Brunson, Wright and MKG come in to replace Luka, Maxi and DFS.  This gives an all-bench look for a few transitional minutes (JB, Seth, Wright, MKG and WCS).  This is a pretty short line.  Good players and plenty of ball movement, but not enough floor spacing. 

Then KP and THJ replace Seth and WCS (JB, Wright, THJ, MKG and KP).  This fixes the floor spacing issue

Don't know about rotations, but if we get MKG, I think it's best that he start (probably not getting more than 20 mpg). I think he would be best in something of a Powell role if Powell were a wing. We didn't ask Powell to shoot threes (this board begged him not to...) but he was effective with picks. Start Luka, THJ, MKG, DFS, and KP. Good defense around Luka, plenty of scoring with Luka and KP, with MKG cutting and THJ and DFS ready to race behind the arc for a Luka assist and everyone but DFS crashing the offensive boards. Then your bench is a solid Brunson, Seth, Wright, Maxi, and WCS.

That’s reasonable.  It is probably situational.  It is nice to have that kind of flexibility.  Some players are too quick for Maxi and some are too big for MKG.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 12:10 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(02-08-2020, 11:59 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Carlisle emphasized how important Seth has been to the team this season. He is not only a shooter, but also a driver, playmaker, and underrated defender -- truly a special player, all per the coach. To put a cherry on top, Seth's flaming night resulted in his becoming the league's most accurate active career 3-point shooter, passing one Steph Curry for the honor. Congrats, Seth, you did us proud!

Seth is generally WAY underrated on this board. He has not had a good year from an on/off perspective, but he brings so many things to the table that this team desperately needs. I think it could be argued that he is the team's third most important player.
To me, he is better on defense than many think.  One thing I've noticed is that he has the ability to anticipate passes and steals or gets a hand on a lot of them.  And, relative to Brunson, Seth has a much quicker first step, which can make a lot of good things happen.
Like Reply
(02-09-2020, 01:21 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: If Luka comes back...I suggest he pass to our flame thrower a lot. I agree, Seth is recently fitting into this team better and better. He seems to be improving several skills as a player in addition to his scoring. I don't care if he starts but quality play off the bench with extended minutes might turn out to be a great role for Seth.
A Jason Terry like role?
Like Reply
It was nice to win but that Hornets team post buyouts is fielding as bad a squad as has been seen in NBA annals.  They’re by far the worst team I’ve seen this season.
Like Reply