Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Burks & GRIII to PHI | three 2nds to GSW
Information 
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5168094208
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 08:15 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5168094208

Yawn.  I think the board got a little too worked up about journeymen who've never really accomplished much more than 9-15 status on a decent team.
Like Reply
Are either of these two players really an upgrade over Courtney Lee?
Like Reply
I thought this might be good for Dallas.  If MBT really wanted them, they probably could have made it happen.  Like Scott said, we love our TPE in blue and Lee too.

I will assume nothing is going down today for the Mavs and then be "happy" if they somehow use the expiring asset(s).
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 08:25 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Are either of these two players really an upgrade over Courtney Lee?
They are if you played them. RC won't play Lee for whatever reason. I would agree Lee is better than both players, but he can't get any burn.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225297141121327104
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 08:29 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: RC won't play Lee for whatever reason.

In 17-18 Lee was a 30 minute guy. A smart, veteran guard/wing defender and 40% 3PT shooter who knows how to play. 

He suffered a mysterious neck / nerve injury in Knicks training camp last year and hes's basically been a 10-14 min spot player since. 

It's speculation on my part, but I think he'd probably start if he were healthy. Lee may be a little undersized compared to the Mavs ideal 3/4 but he'd be a big defensive upgrade over Jackson and Broekoff.
Like Reply

we do this dance every year

no NBA rotation includes 15 players

the Mavs actually often play a large rotation at 10

folks outside the top 10 have to play spot duty

it's like that on every team

it's not a Rick Carlisle thing

can't believe we're going to complain about Courtney Lee not being in the rotation

(02-06-2020, 08:26 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Like Scott said, we love our TPE in blue and Lee too.

I thought that was a really funny line from Scott, but it's just a joke, right? Do we really want a trade at all costs? So the TPE and Lee must be traded whether or not what we want is available?
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 09:24 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Do we really want a trade at all costs? So the TPE and Lee must be traded whether or not what we want is available?

Of course not. But I would assume assets would be available, if Mavs would actually try to get them. They can perfectly afford to take 2 bad contracts and have them as 14 and 15 guys on the roster. Who cares who is your number 14 and number 15 guy, he will mostly not play anyway. Next year they would be expiring and become an asset or cheap salary filler.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 09:24 AM)fifteenth Wrote:

we do this dance every year

no NBA rotation includes 15 players

the Mavs actually often play a large rotation at 10

folks outside the top 10 have to play spot duty

it's like that on every team

it's not a Rick Carlisle thing

can't believe we're going to complain about Courtney Lee not being in the rotation

(02-06-2020, 08:26 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Like Scott said, we love our TPE in blue and Lee too.

I thought that was a really funny line from Scott, but it's just a joke, right? Do we really want a trade at all costs? So the TPE and Lee must be traded whether or not what we want is available?
https://media.giphy.com/media/KszG5xyyV6Pxm/giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Lee is barely a rotation player and yes they were better .
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 09:33 AM)omahen Wrote: But I would assume assets would be available, if Mavs would actually try to get them.

As insane as I find this statement, there are lots of comments on the forum every year that suggest that many posters think this way. 

I think that your assumption could not be more wrong.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 09:44 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I think that your assumption could not be more wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion. As I posted in another thread - I monitor results and results are not good. Simple fact is, Mavs didn't utilize all the possibilities they had. For a second time in a row now.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 09:24 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I thought that was a really funny line from Scott, but it's just a joke, right? Do we really want a trade at all costs? So the TPE and Lee must be traded whether or not what we want is available?
Seems to me you could make some use of them but I have no idea the options the MBT see.  

MBT has been pretty good lately, I mean we could be lead by DSJ and WCJ right now and whatever player out of last years draft (who would probably not be as good as Brunson).  My only fear (may be too strong) is the Giannis obsession and if that is even realistic.  Which leads to passing on good moves now  for the best move.  

If they land Giannis, then all credit to them.  If not, then it would be fair to judge what they could have done while preserving cap.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 09:40 AM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: Lee is barely a rotation player and yes they were better .

I don't think the question is whether they're better than Lee or not. Do they upgrade the rotation? If not, do you want to shoot your wad on something that doesn't upgrade the rotation when you may still have options that you're exploring?
Like Reply
This is not rocket science. If the Mavs don't trade the TPE, then they lose whatever flexibility they retained by their hell-bent refusal to sign any more good players last summer. If they don't trade Lee, they let his contract expire and gain absolutely nothing but cap room - cap room that is less than the full MLE. Should have stayed over the cap. 

Whereas, if they trade each of Lee and the TPE for some schlep player who expires in 2021, getting a second rounder for each for their trouble, then they would extend their assets - they would have two more players for salary filling purposes if they want to trade their 2020 first for a good player, so that they wouldn't have to send THJ out if they don't want to, or they could use them as trade filler next TDL. Plus they have two more 2nd rounders as trade assets.

That is the second-worst case scenario for the day. I would give that a B. Good usage of assets. The worst-case scenario for the day is that they don't doing anything. That doesn't get a grade; it deserves a week of medieval torture and a slow lonely death afterward.

Yes, "A trade, any trade." I'd prefer they did something dynamically productive, but the extension of assets route is okay. Moreover, any Mavs fan who doesn't go ballistic if we do nothing today is either basketball dim or unworthy of the name of Mavs fan.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 10:26 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Whereas, if they trade each of Lee and the TPE for some schlep player who expires in 2021, getting a second rounder for each for their trouble, then they would extend their assets - they would have two more players for salary filling purposes if they want to trade their 2020 first for a good player, so that they wouldn't have to send THJ out if they don't want to, or they could use them as trade filler next TDL. Plus they have two more 2nd rounders as trade assets.

Read other threads. They are turning every stone but no second rounders to be found anywhere... Yet alone something more.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 10:26 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Moreover, any Mavs fan who doesn't go ballistic if we do nothing today is either basketball dim or unworthy of the name of Mavs fan.

Why do you possess the need to paint your narrow scenarios as representations of all extant reality and then denigrate any portion of humanity that does not view the world through your eyes? Do you only do that here? Or do you do it out in real life as well?
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 11:02 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 10:26 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Moreover, any Mavs fan who doesn't go ballistic if we do nothing today is either basketball dim or unworthy of the name of Mavs fan.

Why do you possess the need to paint your narrow scenarios as representations of all extant reality and then denigrate any portion of humanity that does not view the world through your eyes? Do you only do that here? Or do you do it out in real life as well?

But seriously itd be really stupid to let Lee and the rest of the TPE expire without rolling them over 
No excuse really
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 11:53 AM)Jym Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 11:02 AM)fifteenth Wrote:

But seriously itd be really stupid to let Lee and the rest of the TPE expire without rolling them over 
No excuse really

maybe I'm just not as smart as you guys

I just don't see it
Like Reply