Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Grizzlies 121
Depleted Mavs Unravel

The Mavericks were hanging in, tied at 71-71 in the third quarter. In the twinkling of any eye, they were down 22. Followill said it was like all the oxygen was sucked out of the arena. Not in a slow leak, but in a loud pop. And it was all over but the shouting. Pretty shocking. 

Game Story

The Grizz had several players on the injured list. In addition, Crowder and Hill were removed from pre-game warmups as potential parts of a possible trade. Luka, Powell, Seth, and Barea were all out of action for the Mavs. Rick went with the same starting lineup as last game -- Brunson/THJ/DFS/KP/Maxi.

The Mavs got off to a modest lead, and then duked it out for the rest of the first quarter, finishing the frame with a 32-31 edge. KP had a 15-point period. In the second, Memphis went on a 19-4 run, but Dallas ground their way back to within three, entering halftime at 56-59. 

The Mavs were tied at 71-all, when the Mavs started coming unglued. The boys were unable to score on one possession, despite getting three offensive rebounds. WCS fouled a three-point shooter, resulting in a 4-point play for Memphis. He then had a traveling turnover, followed by a second shooting foul. KP came back in, but had to exit almost immediately, with Josh Jackson elbowing him in the face and breaking his nose. By the time he came back in a few minutes later, the team was down 21 points, with Memphis having gone on a 29-7 run by the end of the quarter. The fourth was more of the same. Yikes.

Analytics

The Mavs hit 17 threes, and completed 22 of their 24 FTAs. They were done in with a terrible inside game on both ends of the court, ending up +15 on points from threes, +7 on made free throws, and -36 on points from twos. They shot a putrid 33% on 51 shots from inside the arc. The Grizz had a devastating 60-26 advantage in points in the paint. Memphis also accumulated 15 second-chance points and 22 fast-break points. Just a butchering. The final scoreline was favorable to the Mavs, who were behind by as much as 25 points in the fourth quarter. When KP wasn't on the court, the Grizzlies had a veritable parade to the basket. Even when he was on, at times. 

Players

Porzingis (29 min). There were some things to like about this performance, and first among them was Porzee. He had another monster game -- 33 points, 10-20 shooting, five threes, 7-7 from the line, 12 boards, 2 steals, and a block. He was transcendent offensively, hitting shots from everywhere on the court, circus shots, a long trailing three, a bank shot from the side of the basket, just all over the place. He also stood between the rim and Memphis' paint marauders, as much as he could. It was his third consecutive game with 30+ points and 10+ rebounds. The only other NBA players who have had three such games this season are Luka, Giannis, and Kawhi. 

Carlisle agreed that KP was in a good offensive rhythm, but except for his shotmaking, the Mavs didn't have much going in that department. We hope his nose isn't serious, and it is a shame his performance was wasted in a loss. On the other hand, his consistency with Luka out has been impressive. 

Brunson (33 min) also performed well, scoring 20 points and dishing five assists. The FSSW studio crew had a segment on him. They thought he was consistent, aggressive and solid, and did a decent job running the team. However, he can't do what Luka does, in terms of creating shots for his teammates, and with Seth and Barea also out, Brunson might have been in a little over his head. 

The Mavs had pretty pathetic shooting from some of their key players. DFS (2-9), Maxi (4-11), THJ (3-13), Jackson (1-8). Yuck. Dallas lost the battle of the benches 54-26. 

Remarks

Rick was not happy with the performance. He credited Memphis with playing extremely well, and acknowledged that the visitors had a lot to do with the loss. He said that the Mavs weren't playing well in the first half, but managed to hang in with some decent shotmaking. Then, the bottom fell out. The offense sputtered, ball movement was lacking, and they struggled defensively. Said he has to work harder on getting the squad prepared to play. Found it a very disappointing and ugly game, from a Mavs perspective. 

When he was asked if the team was distracted, he said the trade deadline being tomorrow probably didn't help anything. He said it wasn't an excuse, NBA players know that they could be traded. Volunteered that being traded wasn't always a bad thing -- he actually wanted to be traded as a player, but no one wanted him, lol. Anyway, he doesn't think the Mavs will make a move tomorrow, but we won't know for sure until we know. Jet has not heard any locker-room rumors about any Mavs being traded, and doesn't think that should have bothered them at all. 

Jet and Ced faulted the Mavs for their effort in this contest, particularly on the defensive end. Terry thought they looked a little tired and/or foggy. They speculated that it might be due to the number of injuries, ultimately leaving them without energy to stop the Grizzlies' easy baskets in the paint, and being out a few perimeter defenders. 

The first three quarters of the game were actually pretty interesting, at least until it got totally out of control. With KP's fireworks, it felt like they were playing better than they were, a fact which Carlisle commented on in discussing how the team let this get away from them. Big picture, looking beyond the L, KP's development is quite exciting. This team is capable of playing much better than this, but being a young team, they may be inconsistent as they're coming along. Especially with so many guys out. 

Next. The Mavs will face the Wizards on Friday at 6. Hope we can get some of these guys back on the court!
Like Reply
Brunson has to be able to find open shots for Kleber or DFS, if not they are useless on offense. Another THJ as PG try and I will lose my mind. Bench has been bad all season. Kleber and Curry saved their ass most of the times. Jackson can't be a rotation player and have received loads of oportunities to prove the contrary. Wright must be dreaming if he thinks he can start for a NBA team. Guy is afraid of playmaking, shooting and his defense has fallen of a cliff. Bro at least is getting paid minimun. Boban can't play in most matchups. Of course when healthy, our bench of Brunson/Curry/Wright/Kleber/WCS should be able to hang. There's still time to find a wing and trade away Jackson/Wright. Good to see KP scoring. 7th seed and falling, we have to secure playoffs.
Like Reply
The bench reached its breaking point last night.  With two guys who are normally subs moved into starting slots and another bench guy missing, there just isn't enough O left.  The issue is shot creation with no Luka and no Curry.  Brunson did an admirable job with the starters.  In fact, our starters dif fine.  But, there just wasn't any shot creation once Brunson sat.   

Wright was -35 last night.  About half of his time was with the starters subbing in for either THJ or DFS.  He's not a true PG, but he also didn't have much to work with during stretches when it was just him and guys like Broekhoff, WCS and Jackson.

WCS was a disaster.  Take away the +2 in the final 2:45 and he would have been -18 in 10 minutes of play.  Maybe we can tap the brakes a little on the idea that "Carlisle is an idiot if he doesn't start him".
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:15 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The bench reached its breaking point last night.  With two guys who are normally subs moved into starting slots and another bench guy missing, there just isn't enough O left.  The issue is shot creation with no Luka and no Curry.  Brunson did an admirable job with the starters.  In fact, our starters dif fine.  But, there just wasn't any shot creation once Brunson sat.   

Wright was -35 last night.  About half of his time was with the starters subbing in for either THJ or DFS.  He's not a true PG, but he also didn't have much to work with during stretches when it was just him and guys like Broekhoff, WCS and Jackson.

WCS was a disaster.  Take away the +2 in the final 2:45 and he would have been -18 in 10 minutes of play.  Maybe we can tap the brakes a little on the idea that "Carlisle is an idiot if he doesn't start him".

All very true. However, it is interesting how literally the same line-up played excellent basketball against Indiana, who is also playing excellent defense. Broekhoff, for example, had 7 open shots against Indy and only one yesterday. Offense of the reserves was attrocious, but the big difference in comparison with the Indy game was defensive performance, imho.

It is really difficult to understand how Mavs just meltdown on homecourt. Last two home games were absolute disasters.
Like Reply
Thanks for the recap.

As I said weeks ago, it took them a while but the Grizzlies were improving over the course of the season and their recent form shows. On the other hand, it is questionable how far the Mavs have gone so far in the season apart from getting more 3 point happy.

As of now, the Grizzlies are the better team imo. It feels like the Mavs are easily outhustled and bound to get loss against any physical team. When the treys don't fall at a good rate, we are in trouble.
Long time Mavs Fan from Turkey who wakes up in the middle of the night to watch the Mavs games.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:24 AM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: Thanks for the recap.

As I said weeks ago, it took them a while but the Grizzlies were improving over the course of the season and their recent form shows. On the other hand, it is questionable how far the Mavs have gone so far in the season apart from getting more 3 point happy.

As of now, the Grizzlies are the better team imo. It feels like the Mavs are easily outhustled and bound to get loss against any physical team. When the treys don't fall at a good rate, we are in trouble.

Yeah, because a bad three point percentage was a problem yesterday. They shot almost 40 % on 43 shots. If anything, they should have shot more threes as they were just horrible in so called "easier" shots.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:15 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The bench reached its breaking point last night.  With two guys who are normally subs moved into starting slots and another bench guy missing, there just isn't enough O left.  The issue is shot creation with no Luka and no Curry.  Brunson did an admirable job with the starters.  In fact, our starters dif fine.  But, there just wasn't any shot creation once Brunson sat.   

I would have taken a shot at Patton who we waived over him.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 11:34 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: I would have taken a shot at Patton who we waived over him.

I really have a hard time understanding Mavs team building strategy. On one hand we are declining win now moves, because we are giving the team time to gel. Great, I buy it as reasonable strategy. But then please give a couple of youngsters valuable minutes in slots 10-15, not that you have them filled with rarely used vets - these are win now moves. I can't be convinced that Reeves wouldn't be able to provide The Accountant level of play in his minutes and have a surprise game or two. Who knows, perhaps even more, perhaps we would have our own Thybulle. I guess some young center might give a couple of quality minutes instead of rarely used Bobi. And so on.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:05 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: 7th seed and falling, we have to secure playoffs
Our fall down the standings is becoming concerning.
Like Reply

Agree that the bench was really decimated. Not sure I see much of a solution to that, in terms of rearranging the deck chairs. They need to get some guys back!
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 04:06 PM)mavsluvr Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 07:05 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: 7th seed and falling, we have to secure playoffs
Our fall down the standings is becoming concerning.

It is a concern. Obviously would like to see Mavs push for a top 4 seed or at least a 5-6 seed. Mavs are still 7 games ahead of Portland in 9th place and have avoided losing skids thus far this season. Health will be a factor. I think obv if you have KP and Luka for the duration then you are in good shape. Mavs have a lot of guards so you can actually be okay even with these smaller Luka injuries. KP is one where I think if you lost him for a long stretch of time you could be in trouble.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:22 AM)omahen Wrote: It is really difficult to understand how Mavs just meltdown on homecourt.
This is so puzzling to me.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:24 AM)TurkishMFFL Wrote: Thanks for the recap.

You're welcome.

The Mavs were definitely outplayed in this one. That Memphis team is really coming along.
Like Reply
(02-06-2020, 12:12 PM)omahen Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 11:34 AM)hakeemfan Wrote: I would have taken a shot at Patton who we waived over him.

I really have a hard time understanding Mavs team building strategy. On one hand we are declining win now moves, because we are giving the team time to gel. Great, I buy it as reasonable strategy. But then please give a couple of youngsters valuable minutes in slots 10-15, not that you have them filled with rarely used vets - these are win now moves. I can't be convinced that Reeves wouldn't be able to provide The Accountant level of play in his minutes and have a surprise game or two. Who knows, perhaps even more, perhaps we would have our own Thybulle. I guess some young center might give a couple of quality minutes instead of rarely used Bobi. And so on.
I hear what you're saying, but I can't get too worked up about this level of issue. Carlisle usually uses a 10-man or less rotation, so guys 11-15 aren't going to get minutes in any case, except in case of injuries, blowouts, or situational matchups. Carlisle is the guy who has to weigh doing what works best for the particular game versus giving developmental minutes to deep-bench youngsters. I would trust him with that decision in cases like whether to play Reaves or Broekhoff.
Like Reply