Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: Willie Cauley-Stein to DAL | UTA 2nd to GSW
(01-24-2020, 06:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: LOVE this. 

WCS is +3.9 on the defensive end this year with GSW and was a plus with SAC as well. 

He is middle of the road as a roll-man (56 percentile this year, 62.5% last year), but has he ever played with a maestro like Luka??

They just need to cut off his weed supply.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...8001136640
Like Reply
What wins out? My disdain for WCS or Carlisle's knack for reclamation project bigs?
Like Reply
I am a Kentucky alumnus so there is bias here. WCS to me is a perfect fit here and can do everything on the offensive end that Powell did; also, a really underrated passer. I'd even say he is a better defender too. 

WCS was a leader and good dude in college. Sacramento doesn't have the best reputation in culture so the knuckleheaded stuff is overblown imho.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 06:29 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 06:17 PM)omahen Wrote: Lets just hope the price is not GSW2nd

It´s Cuban. Let´s hope it´s not more. Angel

Btw awesome pick that Roby at #37. Daniel Gafford went #38 (+21 NRTG per 100 poss on the Bulls). GSW´s own Eric Paschall went #40.

Not that I disagree that Roby looked like a scrub in  Summer League, 14 days after they evaluated him to be an NBA talent.

I seriously like to know whether our scouts are this bad, or they literally draft late 1st and 2nd round guys based on who shows the least desire to actually play in the NBA, hence the lowest annoyance level.

Cuban: So Mr. Draymond what are your ambitions for the future.
Draymond: I want to be the nastiest defensive player on the planet.
Cuban: Maybe car salesman in Florida?
Draymond: No sir, I want to play in the NBA and be a star.
Cuban: Thank You, for your time. *scratches him off the list*

I find it odd too. This same exact scouting department are the ones that nailed Brunson, Crowder, found DFS and Kleber. Found Yogi. JJ Barea. Made sure that we drafted Luka.

And yet after their string of finding diamonds in the rough, they pick a guy like Roby who they had no intention of keeping at 45? They went from 37 to 45 for no apparent reason. They must've not liked anyone they saw there, but like you pointed out Gafford has been solid, Paschall has been the only exciting player on the Warriors this year. 

I don't think the Mavs are bad drafters, BUT I do think if they're not motivated to prep all year long for the draft, they seem to punt it.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 06:32 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

WCS is +3.9 on the defensive end this year with GSW and was a plus with SAC as well. 

He is middle of the road as a roll-man (56 percentile this year, 62.5% last year), but has he ever played with a maestro like Luka??

Maybe he'll get that Ingram surge after stepping away from the California weed
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 06:34 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: WCS was a leader and good dude in college. Sacramento doesn't have the best reputation in culture so the knuckleheaded stuff is overblown imho.
He hasn't shown a lick of that in the NBA, and has frequently gotten called out for his lack of motivation regarding basketball.

But I was a big big fan of him on Kentucky. I'd love to be proven wrong this year about him and everything clicks for him with the Mavs.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 06:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Btw awesome pick that Roby at #37. Daniel Gafford went #38 (+21 NRTG per 100 poss on the Bulls). GSW´s own Eric Paschall went #40.

Not that I disagree that Roby looked like a scrub in  Summer League, 14 days after they evaluated him to be an NBA talent.

I seriously like to know whether our scouts are this bad, or they literally draft late 1st and 2nd round guys based on who shows the least desire to actually play in the NBA, hence the lowest annoyance level.

I find it odd too. This same exact scouting department are the ones that nailed Brunson, Crowder, found DFS and Kleber. Found Yogi. JJ Barea. Made sure that we drafted Luka.

And yet after their string of finding diamonds in the rough, they pick a guy like Roby who they had no intention of keeping at 45? They went from 37 to 45 for no apparent reason. They must've not liked anyone they saw there, but like you pointed out Gafford has been solid, Paschall has been the only exciting player on the Warriors this year. 

I don't think the Mavs are bad drafters, BUT I do think if they're not motivated to prep all year long for the draft, they seem to punt it.

Not sure you can say nailed Bruson when a lot of folks (me not included because I don't follow college) wanted Mitchell Robinson.
Like Reply
WCS could really blossom here. He hasn't been on a winner in the NBA yet. Losing constantly can cause bad habits and bad attitude. I won't be surprised if WCS comes here and really exceeds our expectations. It's low risk regardless. Now we can stay patient for a bigger deadline move. We aren't in panic mode anymore for a big. Playing with Luka will dramatically change how WCS will be viewed imo. I'm not predicting this, but he could be a Tyson Chandler light with the right attitude. Dude has talent.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 06:37 PM)cow Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 06:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Not sure you can say nailed Bruson when a lot of folks (me not included because I don't follow college) wanted Mitchell Robinson.
Nailed it means getting a serviceable rotation player out of a 2nd round pick...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...5811265537

https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1220850318566739968
Like Reply
Gonna rattle the cage a bit:

I doubt WCS will be much worse (if at all) in our system than Powell was.

Playing alongside a PnR player like Luka and a stretch big like KP will open up lanes for him left and right.

Dude was a lottery pick for a reason. Physically and athletically he has the tools to start in the Nba.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/EVR1022/status/1220851538027073536
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 06:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 06:34 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: WCS was a leader and good dude in college. Sacramento doesn't have the best reputation in culture so the knuckleheaded stuff is overblown imho.
He hasn't shown a lick of that in the NBA, and has frequently gotten called out for his lack of motivation regarding basketball.

But I was a big big fan of him on Kentucky. I'd love to be proven wrong this year about him and everything clicks for him with the Mavs.
He has some kind of sickle cell condition, I forgot what it's called. It's what makes him look aloof on the court sometimes. Bottom line is he was a solid contributor for a team that just missed out on the playoffs a year ago.

2 years younger than Powell plus been more productive at this stage than DP number wise. Potential is there. He is an ideal back-up big, Mavs got a steal imo.
Like Reply
This trade most likely means, trades where we take back someone like Dieng or Dedmon for a bigger prize are not on the table. Too bad
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...5095887873
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
WCS an enforcer at all?  He kinda has crazy eyes though, just not Portis crazy.
Like Reply
Awesome trade for Mavs. WCS could prove to be more valuable than Powell imo. Only 26, has a PO next summer. He could turn into our version of a JaVale McGee guy who has a relatively low value league-wide but provides solid production.
Like Reply
He is an upgrade over Powell on D and rebounding
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 06:35 PM)Jym Wrote:
(01-24-2020, 06:32 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

Maybe he'll get that Ingram surge after stepping away from the California weed
I think it might be the contract year for Ingram, but his eyes certainly look a lot cleaner.
Like Reply