Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN shopping Iggy on First Take this morning?
I tuned in to First Take with Stephen A Smith this morning and they featured Iggy as a guest commentator.  I've been saying for years now that the Mavs desperately need an Iggy type of defensive force on the squad.  It seemed like they were shopping him around the league and Stephen A was lobbying hard for him to go to either the Lakers or Clippers.

Iggy says he has been training hard, specifically boxing training with the big bag.  He looks great, and considering the Mavs' loss of DP, would you consider giving up any current Mavs assets to bring him in?  Yes, I know he's old, but every season, he keeps looking great to me, in terms of making a huge contribution to a team's overall effectiveness.
Like Reply
Meh.  Despite all the hype, I'm not convinced Iggy even wants to play.  I mean, Memphis is pretty good and he could help them make the playoffs if he really cared about basketball.  His lack of interest in playing greatly reduces my interest in acquiring him, and I'd rather give minutes to a guy who hasn't already checked out.
Like Reply
Not giving up that GS pick or Brunson for him.
Jackson or the Utah pick? A bit more tempting but I'd prefer a contract that expires next year 

Ariza's partially guaranteed deal is much more of an asset going forward
Like Reply
Great point @"Tyler"

I'd love to see Memphis make the playoffs, keep Iggy and tell him to stay home. Why would the Grizzlies trade him to their likely first round playoff opponent? Makes no sense.

Personally I REALLY dislike prima donnas. Igoudala is a sucka for not helping Memphis.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 11:45 AM)Jym Wrote: Not giving up that GS pick or Brunson for him.
Jackson or the Utah pick? A bit more tempting but I'd prefer a contract that expires next year 

I have to admit, Ariza looked all-world last night.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 11:58 AM)mtrot Wrote:

I have to admit, Ariza looked all-world last night.

Wont be getting anywhere close to that most nights but I do trust him more than Jackson in the playoffs
Like Reply
I think the season so far is telling us that Mavs are better than most of us expected - a legit playoff team. They are good against non play-off and fringe play-off teams, while it is also clear that there is a small score of top teams that are better, especially in a 7 game series. I don't think a player like Iggy would bridge the quality gap between where we are now and the contenders. That's why I wouldn't pay a single asset to get him. I think we can utilize our trade deadline assets better. Either in getting picks for TPE and Lee or fetching a more long term asset that will be contributing for at least a couple of seasons.

So, a no for Iggy from me. Players like Iggy should get bought out, than we can talk.
Like Reply
I was one of the very few who argued we should get Iggy... then he went to the Warriors and wound up winning a championship and finals MVP there... you all said he wasn’t worth it then

Obviously he isn’t what he used to be and I’m not pretending this but I STILL have argued all season that we should get him and his cost would be cheap and I don’t see any valid arguments against it except to keep all assets... well Iggy would make a large difference in how our playoff run will go and that will in turn make a larger difference on our free agency than some second round pick would ever do

I think Iggy will go to a team and contribute and if that team isn’t the mavs you’re all going to eat your words because he should be here and not on an LA team
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 02:21 PM)Magickian Wrote: I was one of the very few who argued we should get Iggy... then he went to the Warriors and wound up winning a championship and finals MVP there... you all said he wasn’t worth it then

Obviously he isn’t what he used to be and I’m not pretending this but I STILL have argued all season that we should get him and his cost would be cheap and I don’t see any valid arguments against it except to keep all assets... well Iggy would make a large difference in how our playoff run will go and that will in turn make a larger difference on our free agency than some second round pick would ever do

I hear you on Iggy. He has a championship pedigree, and was long known as one of the league's exceptional defenders. But, you do have to consider what the Mavs would have to give up, don't you? You appear to be assuming that a second-round pick (and, I assume, Lee's contract) would get it done. What if Memphis won't play ball unless they get, say, Seth and Maxi? Do you still do that deal for a half-season rental of a guy in his mid-thirties who has refused to play all season?

I think Iggy will go to a team and contribute and if that team isn’t the mavs you’re all going to eat your words because he should be here and not on an LA team

I get that you think Iggy should be in Dallas, not in LA. Unfortunately, he has made it clear that he doesn't agree. So, the possibility that he cannot be re-signed would be substantial. 

I'm not saying they shouldn't try to get Iggy. Just that, at some negotiating point, the game won't be worth the candle. 
Like Reply
I have no interest in stunting team chemistry and player development on past their prime rentals even if you don't have to give up any assets to get one.  Getting Iggy doesn't open our championship window. Matching that salary with anything but an injured Dwight Powell probably makes us worse this year and doesnt do anything to help us next year when our real championship window opens.
Like Reply
It won't happen but I'd give Delon for Iggy straight up. With Powell's potential career ending injury, and  $33M owed the next 3 seasons, MBT need to get smart(er) with their money. 

The MBT threw $9M+ per year and 2 second rounders for him to be a starter. It didn't work out, he is what he is: an average bench player. 

So freeing up that money for this offseason and beyond could give us better avenues to round out the team with a more appropriate wing/big.

If you don't like Iggy. Another name I'd take a look at is Tony Snell.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 02:21 PM)Magickian Wrote: I was one of the very few who argued we should get Iggy... then he went to the Warriors and wound up winning a championship and finals MVP there... you all said he wasn’t worth it then

He wasn't much of a difference maker for GSW last year, hasn't played, doesn't want to play in Dallas, and certainly won't play here next year. I see no value whatsoever in giving something of value for him (e.g. Brunson or the GSW pick), and would only give our tool assets (Jackson, the TPE, Lee) if we literally couldn't get absolutely anything else for them. That's it.

(01-24-2020, 03:29 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: It won't happen but I'd give Delon for Iggy straight up. With Powell's potential career ending injury, and $33M owed the next 3 seasons, MBT need to get smart(er) with their money.

The MBT threw $9M+ per year and 2 second rounders for him to be a starter. It didn't work out, he is what he is: an average bench player.

So freeing up that money for this offseason and beyond could give us better avenues to round out the team with a more appropriate wing/big.

Holy crap, and I thought you didn't like Seth.

You'll do anything for Jalen to showcase himself for a big deal, won't you? What are you, his agent?

Are you suggesting we go get Ariza from Portland? I know he could legally be re-traded, but I don't know why they give him back up - unless we give them something that's actually worth more than renting him for a half-season.

I have repeated the mantra for years that Ariza lights up Dallas because he hates the Mavs. He was furious that they gave Parsons a big contract and he didn't have the chance either to come here for a big payday or use us to raise his salary. He was signed to a bargain contract that summer, remember? I would be very unsurprised if he told his agent to discourage a trade to the Mavs if the Kings broached it.
Like Reply

Sounds like to me he isn't dead set on joining a "contender." He says it's "more than that." Looking for a perfect balance where he gets to play meaningful minutes but doesn't directly say it has to be for a "contender."
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 03:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Are you suggesting we go get Ariza from Portland? I know he could legally be re-traded, but I don't know why they give him back up - unless we give them something that's actually worth more than renting him for a half-season.

They're still 6+ mil into the tax so I see them cutting more salary. 
I was thinking that the TPE would work but it's not quite big enough. 
We could bring back about 12.1 mil while Ariza makes 12.2 

So yeah never mind.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 03:29 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: It won't happen but I'd give Delon for Iggy straight up. With Powell's potential career ending injury, and  $33M owed the next 3 seasons, MBT need to get smart(er) with their money. 

I don't think Mavs would do that but ya that would definitely be an admission that they regret signing Delon. I do think he is a player that could be moved if they could upgrade him to Robert Covington. His contract still isn't bad. He hasn't done as much lately but I think Wright will continue to improve over time. His contract isn't starter money so that's not an issue.

(01-24-2020, 02:59 PM)Benskix2 Wrote: I have no interest in stunting team chemistry and player development on past their prime rentals even if you don't have to give up any assets to get one.  Getting Iggy doesn't open our championship window. Matching that salary with anything but an injured Dwight Powell probably makes us worse this year and doesnt do anything to help us next year when our real championship window opens.

We aren't stunting anything, Mavs just lost a starter. You need to replace him with something better than more Justin Jackson off the bench. I don't think Iguodala will cost much, I honestly think if the Mavs are interested in all it's going to be for a worthless 2nd or two. I think right now they have their hopes set on Robert Covington.
Like Reply

Well, then I also was one of the few! Cool  I've been lobbying for Iggy for several seasons now, as I thought he was just the type of athletic wing type player we lacked.  I have no idea how effective he can be at this point.

As to Seth and Maxi for Iggy, no way!  Now, yes I'd give up Delon just to get Iggy's defensive impact, although Delon is not looking bad on D either.
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 05:34 PM)mtrot Wrote:

Well, then I also was one of the few! Cool  I've been lobbying for Iggy for several seasons now, as I thought he was just the type of athletic wing type player we lacked.  I have no idea how effective he can be at this point.

As to Seth and Maxi for Iggy, no way!  Now, yes I'd give up Delon just to get Iggy's defensive impact, although Delon is not looking bad on D either.
Delon has got good hands but he is not a good on ball defender, imo. Even at his age, Iggy looked elite last year on that end, and I believe the off time can only be beneficial given GS has been in the finals 5 years straight. 

I believe MBT would take Iggy's superior defense, leadership, experience, and expiring contract over him in a heartbeat. But Memphis would be the deterrent. They already let Delon go for a reason, and replaced him rather easily with a better, cheaper, much younger PG in Tyus Jones.
Like Reply

Iggy was actually going to sign with Dallas in 2013, but the Warriors came out of nowhere and the rest is history.

I think Dallas wants Iggy. I don't think Dallas wants to pay anything more than Lee+a low second rounder to get him though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Now I never once proposed we give up anything more than a second pick for him plus Lee...

So to argue that we shouldn’t get Iggy and lose out on maxi or felon etc

I highly doubt the Grizzlies would say no to the GS 2nd

They might have so far but it’s the best they will get on the he market so it’s the best offer we should give

So yeah duh I don’t want to give up more for him I never argued that

But for Lee+2nd it is asinine to say he wouldn’t help us
Like Reply
(01-24-2020, 06:02 PM)Magickian Wrote: Now I never once proposed we give up anything more than a second pick for him plus Lee...

So to argue that we shouldn’t get Iggy and lose out on maxi or felon etc

I highly doubt the Grizzlies would say no to the GS 2nd

They might have so far but it’s the best they will get on the he market so it’s the best offer we should give

So yeah duh I don’t want to give up more for him I never argued that

But for Lee+2nd it is asinine to say he wouldn’t help us

Giving up that GS pick seems like such a massive overpay to me. Basically has the same value as a late first. 
Utah pick? We'll just waive/dump who ever we draft in that range so I'm in
Like Reply